Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody though about this? Like cutting it to get more approach angle? Or anything like this? I took mine off cause it's a little wavy but that is because I bumper into a buddy in the parking lot one day about a year ago. I was looking at it, and was thinking about almost following the indented line that is about half way down the cover, maybe not the whole way I dunno, what do you think? Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I think JamesDUB modified his bumper, but only the sides under the fog lamps. I think it was partly to stop rubbing with his tires, but it looks decent.

Oh, and you can just remove the lower air dam by snapping it out of the bumper. Simple improvement.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Has anybody though about this? Like cutting it to get more approach angle? Or anything like this? I took mine off cause it's a little wavy but that is because I bumper into a buddy in the parking lot one day about a year ago. I was looking at it, and was thinking about almost following the indented line that is about half way down the cover, maybe not the whole way I dunno, what do you think? Has anybody done this?
Right after I bought my TB, I noticed a high-pitched whistling noise whenever I got above 60 mph. It didn't take long to discovered that the bumper had been damaged by a front-end impact before I bought the TB. I took off the lower spoiler and cut out the lower center section of the cover. Problem solved. No more whistle. It improved the approach angle somewhat in the center. However, right behind the bumper cover is the radiator. Not much you can do with that. So it really doesn't help to just cut the cover. The best method for improving approach angle is to lift the suspension and put on oversized tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right after I bought my TB, I noticed a high-pitched whistling noise whenever I got above 60 mph. It didn't take long to discovered that the bumper had been damaged by a front-end impact before I bought the TB. I took off the lower spoiler and cut out the lower center section of the cover. Problem solved. No more whistle. It improved the approach angle somewhat in the center. However, right behind the bumper cover is the radiator. Not much you can do with that. So it really doesn't help to just cut the cover. The best method for improving approach angle is to lift the suspension and put on oversized tires.
i was thinking bout cutting the middle myself,,,do you have pics of yours like that other than the ones of you buried in sand? Which BTW looks like a lot of fun!!!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
i was thinking bout cutting the middle myself,,,do you have pics of yours like that other than the ones of you buried in sand? Which BTW looks like a lot of fun!!!

This is in his gallery. This doesn't gain you anything off road. You don't take big rocks down your centerline. If you're going to hit a big rock (taller than your bumper clearance), you take it under the wheel, where you have the most space and least critical components.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
That I did. Pretty slick looking. I think the priorities must by different across the ocean, I'd think a lift would come before a bumper... ?
James,
Thanks for posting the picture from the Gallery. I was pretty sure it was in there. :thx You are correct that the removed section of bumper does nothing to improve approach angle. I thought I mentioned that in my reply.

While GMT360/370s are pretty common over here, they aren't real popular for offroad. Most of them are daily macadam drivers. The majority of offroad in the Middle East is sand dunes. And, let's admit it, the TB just isn't designed for that. A lift kit, radiator skid plate, and remounting the Power Steering Hose Bracket are definate musts to having a successful day on the dunes. I've replaced two fan blades and a water pump because of the PS hose bracket.

I wanted to do the lift at the same time as the steel bumper, but the shop I went to can't provide the lift kit directly because of agreements with their suppliers. (I have the skills & desire, but not the tools and work area to do the work myself). They mainly work on Jeeps, Land Rovers, Toyotas, etc. I decided to have the bumper fabricated and installed last March while I was on roll-out to the States, then get the lift done after I returned. I had to provide the lift kit and Bilsteins myself. I finally received the shocks last week, and the lift is going to be done today. I will update my Gallery and post a thread about my mods later this week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I'm looking at it, I am thinking about cutting everything off below the tow hooks. Or cut it to an around the same type look as the H3....reasons for this is...#1 I can....#2 I will be able to get BIGGER tires under there...I am thinking that I will be able to easily be able to 285/75/16's under there with black steel rims and the proper backspacing...which I still need to find out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts