Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i own a 03 tb with 113,000 mile on it and just switched over to 10w-30 Mobil 1 High milege with Mobil1 filter...:confused:should i have just gotten 5w-30 High Milege,..or just Regular Mobil 1 5w-30.:confused:..5w OR 10W ...Doesnt leak and i know mobil1 high milege has a additive to swell the gaskgets & seals to prevent it..so will it start to if i switch regular mobil1 5-30 also when would yall recommend changing it out..every 3,5,8k miles..im open to all ,advice and suggestions :thx :hail:TRAILVOY!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
8-10k miles will be fine.

Also, 10w should be fine, especially for the summers. Not sure how cold it gets, but as long as it doesnt fall below around 20°, I wouldnt worry about starting it cold. Granted, it calls for 5w, but itll be plenty fine w/ warm temperatures.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Well, I agree with tjgjkt on the use of 10w-30 verses 5w-30.

But changing the oil .............. USE THE OIL LIFE MONITOR, you paid for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For the replys guys:thumbsup:it doesn't tend to get to cold down here in SanAntonio maybe 30 degrees max.but sure does get hot as hell:suicide: So should i stick with high miledge or regular 10w-30:undecided

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
I think that's a personal choice. I don't consider 113k to be high mileage, it could be hard mileage, and I think that is the real name for the high mileage oils.
They are designed for engines where there might be some wear. If you think your engine is in good condition, forget the HM oil

BTW, there is at least a 100 threads on the subject of oil, read through a few, might help your decision.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
856 Posts
Honestly, DINO or synthetic oil.....I would surely stick to the 5W-30 recommendation for the motor.

Thing about switching to synthetic at that mileage is if you had a small leak before and has sludged over preventing anymore seepage, the synthetic will dissolve the sludge and show the leak.

Not terribly a bad thing but if you start to see a leak all of a sudden it's not from the oil, its just showing you where the leak has been all along but was plugged up.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Avoid the high mileage formulations. They do just what the first post said -- swell up the seals and soften them so that they rip and leak easier.

Now, with Mobil 1, there is also a high mileage formula for extended drain intervals -- which is different than the high mileage oils that are intended for vehicles with tons of miles on the clock.

In essence, what Mobil is saying is that their standard Mobil 1 product isn't their BEST product -- they sell another synthetic that is BETTER. Guess which one to run?

That, or just run Amsoil, which has always been the oil of choice for those guys wanting extended drain intervals. I've run Amsoil since the late 1970s, typically with between 15K and 25K per change (with a filter change at 10-12K). My engines run 300K + before I trade off my stuff, and they're still going strong without using oil. Amsoil has more than paid for its use over the years I've used it.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
Do you change your own oil?

If you let someone else do it (lube quick or dealer) you may want to invest in an oil cap and Mobil 1 decal. Just a little more assurance (perhaps false) that they will not forget to use the Synthetic :yes:

Not really necessary if you do your own oil changes :no:

Chris

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
My vote is to stay with the 5w-30. The 30 rating is the same and the 5w part gets the oil circulating faster. :eek:fftopic: Chris: Where did you get the Mobil 1 sticker and oil cap? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
My vote is to stay with the 5w-30. The 30 rating is the same and the 5w part gets the oil circulating faster. :eek:fftopic: Chris: Where did you get the Mobil 1 sticker and oil cap? Thanks in advance.
I got them from E-Bay.

Oil Cap

Decal

The decal I linked is pretty expensive, but you can look around for others :yes:

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Hey SilverUnicorn I like what you did with the decal-dresses it up a bit. I already have the cap and I think I will get that decal.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
301 Posts
I got one of those decals from the dealership believe it or not. Had it on my sunfire. I believe they are OEM equipment for the Corvette. My buddies Vette has one on his motor.

I'm going to look at the oil cap and decal and post part numbers if I can find them.

Oh and definately worth the switch. With the engine oil life monitoring system I do about 2 oil changes a year.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
My SS already has the cap on it :raspberry but I like the decal a lot. Probably pick one up if I can find it cheaper than $25 bucks shipped like that link you posted up, I do my own changes anyway so its more for show than anything. Can think of a lot better ways to spend $25 on my SS.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hey SilverUnicorn I like what you did with the decal-dresses it up a bit. I already have the cap and I think I will get that decal.:thumbsup:

Thanks, that's what I thought too. It would be easy to not notice the cap, but that decal, woah! LOL. And it is metal, not vynil. Just make sure where you put it is really clean. you don't get a second chance with the adhesive on that thing :no:

I got one of those decals from the dealership believe it or not. Had it on my sunfire. I believe they are OEM equipment for the Corvette. My buddies Vette has one on his motor.

I'm going to look at the oil cap and decal and post part numbers if I can find them.

Oh and definately worth the switch. With the engine oil life monitoring system I do about 2 oil changes a year.
Yeah, I normally go about 7-9K on my oil. I usually change it before the monitor comes on though.

The cap is indeed standars on the SS and Corvettes :yes: The same cap does fir the I-6 though, just so people know :) For the life of me, I could not find a part # on my cap :no:

My SS already has the cap on it :raspberry but I like the decal a lot. Probably pick one up if I can find it cheaper than $25 bucks shipped like that link you posted up, I do my own changes anyway so its more for show than anything. Can think of a lot better ways to spend $25 on my SS.

Yeah, I did not pay that much if I remember right, but it was not cheap for what it is.

Chris

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
With 113,000 on dino, the synthetic could be doing some cleaning in there, so I would do a short OCI of 3-4000 miles then change oil and filter. I would also stick with the 5W-30 oil, then follow the oil life monitor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the help guys i will be picking up an oil cap and sticker for show cause i do my own oil changes:cool:.....Have you guys heard of mobil1 5w-30 Truck & Suv oil:undecided...has anybody used it and how did it work out???would u guys recommened using that VS. Regular mobil1 5w-30:confused:

:thx:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
The truck and SUV oil has a 3.6 HT/HS versus the 5W-30 with a HT/HS of 3.1.
Two very different oils. I have not experimented much yet on this engine, I just put in Amsoil 0W-30 with an HT/HS of 3.2. You can notice a difference by the sound of the engine as to how it responds with the different oils. My 4.3 did not like a higher HT/HS oil. HT/HS stands for high temp/high shear rating, and is what I use to purchase oil. The truck and SUV was a very good formulation but I do not know what mobil has done to it, if anything.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Just so I'm clear on this: The higher the HT/HS number is the better protection for the motor? Does any one know the HT/HS number for Mobil 1 0w-30? I'm thinking of changing to the 0w-30. I only need an oil change once a year.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Thanks for the info SilverUnicorn! and NotforBling do you have the part number as I get a discount at the dealer now. Nothing like spending my paychecks over there and making friends. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts