Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! Just joined Trailvoy yesterday - I'm loving the site. Got an '04 TB EXT with a 5.3L, about 140K km (87K mi). I didn't have time to change the plugs so I sent it to the dealer with plugs I bought (maybe that ticked them off) a set of Champion platinums. Got it back, they said I needed wires (no surprise) but at $400 for the wires and $140 for the labour I said no thanks. Truck began to misfire next day and it got worse by the day - almost stalling - but I had to wait for order for the wires and needed the vehicle. Bought the exact same wires (NGK's) for $60, pulled the old ones (one of them looked like it was broken and I figured the cause of the problem). I popped the new ones on (lots of fun). Misfire is almost (90%) gone, but not completely. The engine light is lit on the dash but I don't have a code reader. Could the type of plug be the problem (didn't know that OEM was NGK / Delco) I've seen lots of people here talk about iridium. Could it be as simple as not pushing the wires on securely enough? Might the dealer have gapped the plugs wrong or not at all? Could the initial misfire have messed up some computer controlled thingee and now it's out of whack? I fix my own vehicles but am not a real gear-head so some obvious things are not so obvious to me. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:tiphat Hello and welcome to the site! Sorry you had such terrible luck with dealer, but seems to me you need to take it back and stand there while the stealership checks to see if it was their mistake, they will no doubt deny any wrong doing! If it was me I would and would make them let me sign a waiver if they tried to tell me BS about insurance liabilty! New plugs typically don't need gapping for these vehicles. Good luck and I hope you come back and tell us all is right!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Issue Resolved

Dealer was adamant they didn't do anything wrong and that if they checked out the engine and found it to be my fault, they'd charge me. Well, they checked it and guess what - their issue - didn't install the plug properly. Well, at least they admitted it and corrected it. All's well

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:thumbsup:I am so glad to hear that! So often people make mistakes and refuse to take responsibility for them, it is good to know there are some decent dealerships out there and I hope someone don't lose the:no:ir job over this mistake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy - who was really nice - told me that off the record, they didn't screw it down tight but that they also knocked a couple of wires loose (don't know which ones). I didn't hear any rattling or notice any smell or fluid or burnt tips, but .... I hope they didn't strip anything but I didn't check. A week's gone by and all's still well:D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
25 Posts
misfire fixed by dealer

My 02 Envoy had a misfire and flashing SES. Dealer changed the plugs but misfire returned? did not go away. Dealer changed 1 ignition module and the truck is just fine now. They did provide loaner to fix the car the 2nd visit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts