Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 TB 4.2I w/42,000 miles on it. Commuting on a daily basis on back roads no faster than 50 mph I get an average of 18 mpg witch I thought was pretty good. This past weekend I took a road trip to up-state NY. All Highway, 65 mph+ the whole time and I only averaged around 19+ mpg. Is this normal? I thought these would get at least 20+. Heck my 02 Silverado w/4.8L V8 gets 20+ easy. Any suggestions or should I just be happy w/ the 19+ ????

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
I'd say be happy with the 19mpg... I barely averaged 20 tucking in behind trucks and bumping up the pressure on my tires on my last trip. I am averaging 17mpg on everyday driving.

Edit: you should be especially happy with 19mpg beings how you have 4x4...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
looks like he has 2WD... but i have 4x4 and get about 16 to work/school and back. 18 and 19 are good numbers, arent our trucks rated at 14 and 19 or 15 and 20 or something close to that?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Yeah, I'm 2WD.......So 19 aint bad then huh? I thought they were rated at 20+ on the HWY. Oh well 19 it is then. Thanks guys.
The original EPA estimate on your vehicle was 16 and 21 The NEW estimate (more real life conditions) is 14 and 20 - which is about what I get with my EXT that weighs a few hundred more pounds than your SWB.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

BTW, not to complain or be difficult, but we do have TONS of MPG threads going. The search function works pretty well in a case like this! :D

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
18 Combined- and up to 23 MPG on ALL highway.
But Id say 22 normally on good highway trip with some street use.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,002 Posts
sounds like my MPG isnt too bad, either then. i have the the 04 EXT w/66k on 22s and i get around 17 but its a mix of hwy and city. i really have to baby it to get those numbers, otherwise im down to about 15. i went from beating on my old car daily and it got 23, once i bought this brick :crackup: ive really had to change my driving style (which the wife appreciates)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
Something I have found in reading these MPG threads. If the highway route taken has a fair number of hills, 19-21 is the best I have seen at 65+. A more flatlad route tends to get the better 22-23 mpg, as does slowing to around 55-60 mph.

Two years ago, traveling to upstate NY I held it to 55-62 on the highway and managed 23 mpg. Haven't been able to bring myself to do that again. :p

ct_mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
172 Posts
I get the same

I just took two trips to the Gulf Coast. From Tupelo, it's about a 5 hour drive (and a full tank of gas). I got 18.6 mpg on one trip and 19.1 on the other with very little "in town" commuting involved. Almost all of it was four lane, 70 mph driving.

I expected a little better, too. I get about 14.5-16 when driving around in town only.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,002 Posts
my biggest problem in making good MPG trips is that after awhile i say forget the MPG lets just make great time instead...... better the travel time = less MPG. i cant win lol.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
517 Posts
What rear ratio do you have. My first TB had a 3.24 and I could get 23 on a 100 mile trip. My current TB has a 3.73 and will get 0nly 21 on the same trip. 17-18 mixed driving.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Keep in mind we're driving nearly 2 1/2 ton SUVs with 270+ hp and not a sedan or *gulp* econobox. The original EPA numbers were 15/20 (15/21 with 3.42 gears) and you could add 1 MPG if you were 2WD and not a 4x4. The revised numbers, which are more representative and up to date are lower at 14/19......Hmmm, amazingly the range that many of the owners on this board are getting.

Add big tires and the number goes down a little, have a heavy foot and the numbers go down a little more. Add a tune, intake with exhaust and/or e-fan kit and manage to not abuse the right pedal and they come up a bit. With all my mods I can hold 24+ MPG at 65-70MPH, slow down a bit to 60-65 and jumps over 25, but that's strait highway and not abusing/using the new found power and throttle response. (Every day driving runs 17-18, short trips and stop and go really kill the mpg).

If we want to get 30MPG on a trip, my wife and I jump in her Altima...31 on highway w/o trying to hard and 26 in everyday driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im having kind of the same problem my TB is like swallowing gas and i have no idea why any suggestion i fill up yesterday to the big line before the full and today im on a quarter of a tank i dont know why.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.