Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my other posts I've been contemplating buying a nice 2002 Envoy SLT, 4X4, I-6, 3.42 rear end. It's a friend that's selling it and it's been taken care of inside and out. He's original owner and the car has 148 K miles on it. His wife drove it alot of freeway miles for her school and work. I had the transmission looked at and it appears to be fine. I want it to use mostly on weekends camping in the local deserts and to occasionally tow a 3600 Lb. boat/trailer. It will need 2 new tires, a trans cooler, and sway bar ends, and a rear drivers side window regulator promptly. I can do all the work on this.

I took it on a test tow today keeping it in mostly 3rd, and it did OK on some decent sized hills and freeway driving, not great but not bad. He has offered to me first as a friend for $3300 which I feel is a great deal. I really can't afford much more right now although I'm thinking of saving up some and getting a 5.3 liter Tahoe or an older Suburban to help in the towing department.

Am I being stupid for not getting this nice little Envoy? Any honest input is appreciated. c good

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
if all you need to tow is 3300lbs then it would work fine for your needs. if you get a Tahoe or Suburban you may end up kicking yourself in the a$$ when you go the pump and fill it up and its $100+. and because you know the guy you are buying it from. you know it wasn't beat on.also the work that needs to be done could be done for less then $500 (if you get the window regulator from ajunkyard and do the work your self) just my:m2:. but the final choice is yours we cant make it for you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
I would never buy a vehicle from a friend that I really wanted to keep the friendship of, simply because if something did happen such as you buy it and in 2 weeks the transmission goes out, it will strain the friendship.:m2:

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
I would never buy a vehicle from a friend that I really wanted to keep the friendship of, simply because if something did happen such as you buy it and in 2 weeks the transmission goes out, it will strain the friendship.:m2:
This is a valid point and have seen things go bad because of the scenario. You should base your decision on this and several other considerations.

You have to consider the price that is a plus and then the possibility that you may have to spend money on a vehicle that has 148k on it. It is older and depending on what he has done to it so far will mean that you may have to do all the usual stuff like water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, brakes etc.

Basically - great price but do not be alarmed if you have to spend some money on it as all of the above "happen" and if it has not happened yet then it may be due. :m2:

·
Registered
2004 isuzu ascender
47 Posts
sounds like an awesome deal!
I would say one heck of a deal to pass up. I'd buy it, give it a shot with what you want to use it for and if you don't like how its working for you then you could always get rid of it - and probably for more than what you paid. Heck, someone might pick it up off of here for a good price considering the fixins you plan to do.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
:iagree::iagree: Definitley woth the price he's asking, and like it was said....you could always sell it later if it's not exactly what you feel you need, and you could end up making a little cash to boot!!

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Toward the top of the page, on the far left side, click on User CP. On the left side of the new page that comes up, below where it says User CP, you will see "Your Control Panel", below that it says "Edit Details". Click on that and a page will show up with all the things you can fill in.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
56 Posts
Thats one heck of a deal! I bought my 02 Envoy with 60,000 miles on it back in 2005 for $4500. Granted it had been run into a guard rail but it was an easy fix. :yes:
Car payments are for wimps:p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.