Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the choice to buy a set of brand new michelin cross terrain for 400 bucks, or a set of yoko geolanders with rims for 500, the yokos have about 7000 miles on them..opinions?

i drive an 04 trailblazer ext 2wd, northern ohio weather..thanks in advance :)

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
I have the choice to buy a set of brand new michelin cross terrain for 400 bucks, or a set of yoko geolanders with rims for 500, the yokos have about 7000 miles on them..opinions?

i drive an 04 trailblazer ext 2wd, northern ohio weather..thanks in advance :)
i just paid over 850 for a set of 265-45-17's at Sams club installed. 400 sounds like a great deal if they are in fact new. the tires are fantastic

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
I think you mean 245/65-17, right? (265/45-17 would be sort of an odd size, that I don't see Sam's carrying).

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
I think you mean 245/65-17, right? (265/45-17 would be sort of an odd size, that I don't see Sam's carrying).
yes, you are right, and the 245/65-17's are very pricey for premium tires. Do most of our vehicles use this size? I saw a size comparsion listing that indicated that this size is only used on GM vehicles

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
$400 is fanta-bolous for 4 Cross Terrains. On;y reason I can think of for the price drop is that they are going to be or already are discontinued.

We sell them for around $200 a pop for the 245/65/17

yes, you are right, and the 245/65-17's are very pricey for premium tires. Do most of our vehicles use this size? I saw a size comparsion listing that indicated that this size is only used on GM vehicles
IIRC only TV's, Cherokees and some other foreign SUV use the size.

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
thats a great deal..i paid 802.00 for 245/70/16 mich. cross terrains for my pick up

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
I don't know about the Michelin's, but the wife had Geolander's on her Kia Sorento 2wd SUV while we lived in Washington state, and had absolutely no issues on ice, snow, or anything else for that matter. We took it out on a camping trip once deep in the woods, through a few little mud holes, etc, and the tires were awesome. Put 45K miles on them, and they still had over 50% tread on them when we traded her truck in.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
437 Posts
What kind of Geolandars?

I have Geolanar AT/S on mine and just a forewarning... I am VERY disapointed in their winter performance, as they are bad in the snow/ice etc.. so if they are the geolandar all terrain's stay away if you plan on doing any winter driving.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
I have the Geo H/T+S tires for almost a year now on mine, great tire, wet dry snow. No complaints so far....
:iagree::yes:

I have had the Geolanders on my TB since Aug of '06, and am now in their 3rd winter. Even though I'm getting down there on tread, I had no problems during the last snow/ice storm (ice, w/ 8" snow on top).

No complaints here.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had Geo's on my last vehicle- It was fine in the summer, Good in snow- But they just did not work good for me in Ice \ Slush mixtures.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
I had Geo's on my last vehicle- It was fine in the summer, Good in snow- But they just did not work good for me in Ice \ Slush mixtures.
NOTHING works well on ice, except studded tires. Even the dedicated winter tires like Blizzak's aren't like driving on dry pavement....if you push them too hard, even they will lose grip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seems to me its a draw, brand new michelins or 7000miles on the geolanders, the geolanders will come with the stock rims, do i need 2 sets of rims? or sell the rims?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
239 Posts
The Ford Explorer with the optional 17" tires/rims use 245/65/17, as well as Nissan Pathfinders. Michelin Cross Terrains are the best tires for our TV's out there. You get what you pay for. I had Bridgestone Duellers on my truck and they s__ked. They were worn out in 12,000 miles. DO NOT BUY BRIDGESTONE DUELERS 689's they have a wear rating under 200(check tirerack.com)

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
seems to me its a draw, brand new michelins or 7000miles on the geolanders, the geolanders will come with the stock rims, do i need 2 sets of rims? or sell the rims?
My Envoy came with a full size spare but on a steel wheel. I got a factory rim from EBay and rotate all five tires. It makes rotating easier, the spare will not die from dry rot and be wasted,and every time I rotate the tires the winch gets checked. It'll cost for another tire when I need them, but I think it is worth it and I'll get 20% more life from the tires.:m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
254 Posts
I agree on the Michelin Cross Terrain's being the best for our size vehicles. I put on a set last spring, and then drove to CA. No noise, excellent ride and about half a mile increase in MPG (we drive to CA every summer). This winter I've had excellent traction in the snow. Great tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What kind of Geolandars?

I have Geolanar AT/S on mine and just a forewarning... I am VERY disapointed in their winter performance, as they are bad in the snow/ice etc.. so if they are the geolandar all terrain's stay away if you plan on doing any winter driving.

Nothing will be able to help you in ice, short of studs. I would not hesitate on the Cross Terrains, that is an amazing price. They aren't being discontinued and you will not get a better ride out of anything else in that class of tire. Good find. The AT/S are about to go on my 06 TB. I've had it for one week and the goodyears that are on it suck. Quality in the name with goodyear, good for a year. If you are having trouble with snow traction go to discount tire and ask them about safety sipes. Definitely worth the money. Its a night and day difference as far as ride quality, traction, and longevity of the tire. The sipes actually make the tire run cooler so it wont burn off as fast.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts