Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent an hour going through old threads using the search button, but didn't really get the answers I was looking for. I purchased one Kicker 12 CVR which is rated at 400W RMS and 800W max at 2Ohms. I figured I'd look for an amp now.

Do I need to look for an amp that matches the speaker exactly? I've found a few that are rated 500W RMS and 900W max. Yeah, I know, pretty basic question, but I'm learning.

DAVE

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
generally want to do about 20% more than what its rated at so if you can find an amp that does 500-600 wrms, that would be best.

the last thing you wanna do is underpower it. just knowing that your sub can do more will drive you crazy, and you WILL eventually buy another, just spend a little more for the power, IMO.

good luck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once again Gavin, thanks for the reply. I have another question...for some reason I feel the answer is a simple one, but I'm just not finding it.

So, I received the sub today and was looking through the booklet. It states it can be wired in parallel or series at either 1 or 4 Ohms. I got the 2 Ohm sub. Does this mean that I can only run either 1 or 4 Ohms to it? Can I run 2 Ohms to each coil separately? Not sure I want to run 1O from an amp and most mono amps seems to be rated at their peak at 2O.

Thanks,

DAVE

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
I got the 2 Ohm sub. Does this mean that I can only run either 1 or 4 Ohms to it? Can I run 2 Ohms to each coil separately? Not sure I want to run 1O from an amp and most mono amps seems to be rated at their peak at 2O.
It means 1Ω (parallel) or 4Ω (series) when both coils are hooked to a single channel

although you could hook each coil up to a seperate output on a dual channel amp (for a 2 X 2Ω load), you should just go with a mono amp, 600wrms X 1 @ 4 ohms or 600wrms X 1 @ 1Ω:m2:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good. Thank you for that. That's what I was afraid of. You see, if I'm not mistaken, that puts me in a higher price range for an amp. I should have purchase a 4Ohm sub.

Seems like every review of a sub $200 amp either is not rated for 1Ohm or they overheat. Plus, to get the power at 4Ohms get pricier.

I also could be talking out of my butt here, but I'm learning.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Very good. Thank you for that. That's what I was afraid of. You see, if I'm not mistaken, that puts me in a higher price range for an amp. I should have purchase a 4Ohm sub.

Seems like every review of a sub $200 amp either is not rated for 1Ohm or they overheat. Plus, to get the power at 4Ohms get pricier.

I also could be talking out of my butt here, but I'm learning.
I wouldn't worry, Gavin knows where the deals are, Im sure he can find something that will work for your application:cool:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
yes you can only run its at 1 ohm or 4 ohms. i cannt suggest running a channel to each coil because each coil is actually diffrent. you might have a 3.7 ohm on one and 3.8 ohm on the other, so you will have isolation between each coil, eventually it will break.

unfortuntly finding a 1ohm stable amp that does 600 watts isnt that common ... maybe the hifonics bxi 608 if you on a budget

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7503/BXI-610--Hifonics-600W-Class-A-B-Mono-Amplifier.htm

what is your budget anyways?

and if you can buy used you can save even more.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got sidetracked with other projects but just called Sonic to place order on amp and box. The girl on the other end told me to check out their ebay store as prices are cheaper and shipping is free.

Was looking at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-1600a-...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:2|294:30

I got the 12CVR 2Ohm which is 400RMS. This amp is 400RMS at 4O. Should I go up a tad more or do you think this amp will power it nicely?

Also, I am going to build a custom box, but just need something quick for now. Do you think a 1.5 cu ft seal box will sound decent? Rating on the sub is 1-4cu ft sealed.

Thanks. Ordering everything tonight, so will hopefully get this thing done by next weekend.

Oh, one more question...should I purchase one of their amp install kits as well? Are they worth it?

DAVE

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
314 Posts
could have went here. I get a lot of my audio stuff from here.

http://www.millionbuy.com/hifzxi6010.html

is hifonics good stuff haven't heard to much about it in my parts.

i think for a tight budget Power acoustic stuff is not that bad. Its not very good for sound quality but if you just want to be loud i think it aint bad for the price. but that's my opinion. agree/disagree anyone

·
Registered
314 Posts
im not great at matching up subs to amps i try to stay with the same company for amp and sub. 1 for looks i think it looks good all together 2 most companies test there products with there own stuff so its kinda made to go together.

i do know that those kickers like to be over powered so i would defiantly go the 20% higher on total RMS

GavinVoy and MAY03LT really know what they is talking about i have read a lot of stuff from them and learned a lot. they wont steer you wrong.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Was looking at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-1600a-...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:2|294:30
I got the 12CVR 2Ohm which is 400RMS. This amp is 400RMS at 4O. Should I go up a tad more or do you think this amp will power it nicely?
I cant get a definitive answer on the rated power....I have a feeling it will put out a little more then they claim

Also, I am going to build a custom box, but just need something quick for now. Do you think a 1.5 cu ft seal box will sound decent? Rating on the sub is 1-4cu ft sealed.
Well, it will bump enough to hold you over....but the low end will probably disappoint

Oh, one more question...should I purchase one of their amp install kits as well? Are they worth it?
Have a link to a particular kit?

GavinVoy and MAY03LT really know what they is talking about i have read a lot of stuff from them and learned a lot. they wont steer you wrong.
awwww shucks:eek:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the replies. Really appreciate it. Not sure which wiring kit to get...there's quite a few. I already have RCA cables run to my Basslink....so don't need those. I'm going with a 4 Gauge kit from Sonic, but they have so many. I think my biggest question is how many feet do I need to run from the battery to the cargo area in the floor as I'm hiding the amp in there. Most of the kits are 17-18ft. Do you think that will be sufficient?

****EDIT: Actually, I realized I have most of the smaller wire run already. I'm just going to buy the battery adapter and the 4 gauge wire.****

Thanks

DAVE

·
Registered
314 Posts
if i were you i would get the kicker 4 gauge dual amp wire kit. dual amp kit for easier upgrade to second amp later.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3934_Kicker+PKD4.html

its best to go with the better brand stuff here. I used to think that copper was copper. Well for the most part i was right but if you take a 4 gauge power wire from kicker and a hold it up to a 4 gauge power wire from lets say raptor or tsunami the kicker and rockford brands will have more copper and less insulation where as the other lower end brands will have mostly insulation and less copper. So you are almost getting 8 gauge worth of copper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts