Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Making A Heat Shield For My Intake

25K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  Trailboy1121 
#1 ·
I got bored today, school's been out for 4 days, so I decided to make a heat sheild for my ebay intake. I started off by taking measurements of where the heat sheild would go. After making a quick sketch, I cut it out from some cardboard. After trying to fit it, I noticed some hidden plastic pieces and stuff that prevented it from going into place. So I recut the cardboard pemplate and made it fit. It fit in perfectly, but only had 2 holes for screws, so I decided to make it a bit bigger ad use the radiator hole on the left side. I'm now working on an AutoCAD drawing. I'll take some more pics later, but this is what I have so far...

I still don't know what to make the sheild out of...any suggestions would be appreciated :yes:

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes, aluminum will get hot. Any metal will absorb heat. You would either need to powder coat it or make it out of a plastic instead. Of course, if you look around, you can find different insulation materials. I think the industrial stuff would work good.

#5 ·
How hot does it get in there? I wouldn't wanna use something that could catch fire :crazy:

Here are some more pics...

#9 ·
03slt_soccal said:
no tar it will melt
drive it around real hard and open the hood and touch the intake that will tell you how hot if you don't have a thermal temp gun
My parents took it for about 15 minutes. When they came back, I touched it and if you hold it for more than 5 seconds, it will burn you :eek: My friend's CAI on his mazda will give you frostbite because of how cold it is after hard driving :weird:

#11 ·
Braves299 said:
How does it get cold??? A cold air intake doesn't mean it will turn cold. Frostbite??? c'mon now...
Ok, not frost bite, but it's cool, it doesn't get warm at all. His filter is located right under the car though...

#14 ·
Where'd you learn to do AutoCad? Aren't you only like 17? I learned when I was 16, I went to a drafting high school for two years while still taking class at my regular high school. I now do it full time as a Fire Alarm Systems Designer.

#15 ·
Braves299 said:
Where'd you learn to do AutoCad? Aren't you only like 17? I learned when I was 16, I went to a drafting high school for two years while still taking class at my regular high school. I now do it full time as a Fire Alarm Systems Designer.
I took Tech. class at school. Last year, he taught us autodad and we had to build something after designing it. This year, we got inventor 10 which is such a cool designing program...the posibilities are endless. I don't have it at home though, and it costs about $800 :crazy: Oh and i'm 18, my birthday was 2 days ago :D

#16 ·
ieatglue said:
I took Tech. class at school. Last year, he taught us autodad and we had to build something after designing it. This year, we got inventor 10 which is such a cool designing program...the posibilities are endless. I don't have it at home though, and it costs about $800 :crazy: Oh and i'm 18, my birthday was 2 days ago :D
Hmm I've never heard of inventor 10. We do use Architectural Desktop though, and that is great. Autocad is expensive as hell. Isn't it something like 8 grand??? I wish I had it on my home computer, but I'm not spending that kind of money just for that.

Happy birthday!

#17 ·
Braves299 said:
Hmm I've never heard of inventor 10. We do use Architectural Desktop though, and that is great. Autocad is expensive as hell. Isn't it something like 8 grand??? I wish I had it on my home computer, but I'm not spending that kind of money just for that.

Happy birthday!
My friend's dad had autocad at his office, so my friend made me a copy w. a crack file :x

Here's some inventor 10 info... http://newsletters.hagerman.com/newsletters/ebul29-Mech4.htm

#21 ·
dntnvme said:
Great Job, Looks great. If someone would like I have Autodesk Inventor 10 coming in the mail. The program is huge tho 3.2 gig DVD-rom.
Can I get a copy of it? :D I know they're HUGE!! I tried copying it off the school computer but it was way too big :crazy:

#23 ·
jjsryd said:
Hey Glue, you can always just spray paint that cardboard piece. Problem solved. :D
Maybe I should :rotfl:

I bought some aluminum sheet from RONA and some pipe insulation wrap to cover the outside of it and i'm gonna cover the pipe too because I bought too much lol

Total cost so far is $20 Canadian. $4 for the aluminum and $16 for the pipe wrap :D

#24 ·
Aluminium

I think aluminium would work fine for what you want to do. What you might do is get some small peices of aluminium like 2"x2" and make test peices. Paint them with diff paints and such, you can even get that rhino liner stuff in a can. I don't think it's "Rhino liner" but the same kind of stuff? Put these peices in a hot part of the eng, but where it will cause no damage like next to the exhuast manifold to see what will stand up to the heat. You might even try some of that BBQ Grill paint, they make a few diff colors for grill paint. If it was me I would just go with the aluminium look or maybe sand it to give it that brushed look. Aluminium will get hot, but it also should cool down fast too. When or if you try the peices try differant thicknesses to see what will get hotter and stays cooler. You don't have to put it next to the manifold it was just an idea, but where you are putting the shild at would be just fine.
Good luck, I will like to see the finished product.
Boomer

#25 ·
I cut out the aluminum sheild. Took 1 hour and about a gallon of sweat :crazy: Then I spray painted both sides with some black high heat paint. Took the Intake off, wrapped it with the pipe insulation, then put some on the outside portion of the heat sheild. I was pretty surprised at how much wrap I had left over. I think I only used a quarter or a third :yes: :D Then I put it all together...

BTW, does my TB look dirty?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.