Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got bored today, school's been out for 4 days, so I decided to make a heat sheild for my ebay intake. I started off by taking measurements of where the heat sheild would go. After making a quick sketch, I cut it out from some cardboard. After trying to fit it, I noticed some hidden plastic pieces and stuff that prevented it from going into place. So I recut the cardboard pemplate and made it fit. It fit in perfectly, but only had 2 holes for screws, so I decided to make it a bit bigger ad use the radiator hole on the left side. I'm now working on an AutoCAD drawing. I'll take some more pics later, but this is what I have so far...







I still don't know what to make the sheild out of...any suggestions would be appreciated :yes:
 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shepmankev said:
Aluminium if I spelled that right.
Yeah you did, i think. But won't aluminum get hot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Yes, aluminum will get hot. Any metal will absorb heat. You would either need to powder coat it or make it out of a plastic instead. Of course, if you look around, you can find different insulation materials. I think the industrial stuff would work good.
 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How hot does it get in there? I wouldn't wanna use something that could catch fire :crazy:

Here are some more pics...





 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shepmankev said:
What about aluminium with ceramic coated paint?
How much would that cost me? I'm limited to home depot/walmart. What about shingle tar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
ieatglue said:
How much would that cost me? I'm limited to home depot/walmart. What about shingle tar?
no tar it will melt
drive it around real hard and open the hood and touch the intake that will tell you how hot if you don't have a thermal temp gun
 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
03slt_soccal said:
no tar it will melt
drive it around real hard and open the hood and touch the intake that will tell you how hot if you don't have a thermal temp gun
My parents took it for about 15 minutes. When they came back, I touched it and if you hold it for more than 5 seconds, it will burn you :eek: My friend's CAI on his mazda will give you frostbite because of how cold it is after hard driving :weird:
 

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
Joined
·
910 Posts
How does it get cold??? A cold air intake doesn't mean it will turn cold. Frostbite??? c'mon now...
 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Braves299 said:
How does it get cold??? A cold air intake doesn't mean it will turn cold. Frostbite??? c'mon now...
Ok, not frost bite, but it's cool, it doesn't get warm at all. His filter is located right under the car though...
 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Braves299 said:
:cool: Good job on your template BTW.
Thanks! It only took me about 20 minutes to do too :D I'm gonna go to home depot and see if they have some aluminum sheets...
 

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
Joined
·
910 Posts
Where'd you learn to do AutoCad? Aren't you only like 17? I learned when I was 16, I went to a drafting high school for two years while still taking class at my regular high school. I now do it full time as a Fire Alarm Systems Designer.
 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Braves299 said:
Where'd you learn to do AutoCad? Aren't you only like 17? I learned when I was 16, I went to a drafting high school for two years while still taking class at my regular high school. I now do it full time as a Fire Alarm Systems Designer.
I took Tech. class at school. Last year, he taught us autodad and we had to build something after designing it. This year, we got inventor 10 which is such a cool designing program...the posibilities are endless. I don't have it at home though, and it costs about $800 :crazy: Oh and i'm 18, my birthday was 2 days ago :D
 

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
Joined
·
910 Posts
ieatglue said:
I took Tech. class at school. Last year, he taught us autodad and we had to build something after designing it. This year, we got inventor 10 which is such a cool designing program...the posibilities are endless. I don't have it at home though, and it costs about $800 :crazy: Oh and i'm 18, my birthday was 2 days ago :D
Hmm I've never heard of inventor 10. We do use Architectural Desktop though, and that is great. Autocad is expensive as hell. Isn't it something like 8 grand??? I wish I had it on my home computer, but I'm not spending that kind of money just for that.

Happy birthday!
 

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Braves299 said:
Hmm I've never heard of inventor 10. We do use Architectural Desktop though, and that is great. Autocad is expensive as hell. Isn't it something like 8 grand??? I wish I had it on my home computer, but I'm not spending that kind of money just for that.

Happy birthday!
My friend's dad had autocad at his office, so my friend made me a copy w. a crack file :x

Here's some inventor 10 info... http://newsletters.hagerman.com/newsletters/ebul29-Mech4.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
he must have the new sub-zero intercooler. ;)

The cutout looks great so far.
I need to do something similar myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,312 Posts
Great Job, Looks great. If someone would like I have Autodesk Inventor 10 coming in the mail. The program is huge tho 3.2 gig DVD-rom.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top