Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
I started having a problem with my drivers door power going out, but it would come and go for about a week. Then the door just stopped getting any power to its controls, and since then I have had the lights on the dash all come on for about 10 seconds ( a few times, randomly) when I am driving. doesn't seem to affect the way it runs. I am going to pull my door panel off and see if anything is shorting out. The wires visible in the hinge all seem fine. I think it has to be a short?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This def weird on my issue....what ever is cuaseing my battery drain has to be where the problem is. Even at night when i have no dic or guages all the back lighting and turn signals work...high and low beam etc. Just no gear selection, or any power whats so ever to guages and no dic. If i pull the fuse or unhook the battery it all works again but i randomly get the amp guage bottoming out,then the warning lights across the dash..then it all resets and might be fine for 30 seconds then the amp guage dips and it starts all over again. 90% of the time when i turn off the truck and restart it it goes back to no power to the guages..and if i want to know how much gas i have or god for bid my speed i have to pull fuse or the battery trick again and it comes back to life. I live in a ny state some im wondering if something is corroded on a ground or something?...not sure here.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
door switches dont work

I started having a problem with my drivers door power going out, but it would come and go for about a week. Then the door just stopped getting any power to its controls, and since then I have had the lights on the dash all come on for about 10 seconds ( a few times, randomly) when I am driving. doesn't seem to affect the way it runs. I am going to pull my door panel off and see if anything is shorting out. The wires visible in the hinge all seem fine. I think it has to be a short?
Stairman....did you ever resolve the problem with your driver side door switches cutting out intermittenly? I have developed the same problem and dont want to take it to a dealer if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
168 Posts
Hi. Maybe a clue for you... As soon as I got my new PCM Forless tune the problem never came back (for me) So maybe a bad PCM or bad connection to it. ??

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
14 Posts
I have had this problem a couple of times over the last few years. I have found a rubbed wire in the tail gate that fixed the problem and more recenty the antilock wire on the driver side front upper a-arm was being pinched. On mine, I just had different dash warning lights coming on and going off.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Well its simple...your BCM is outdated. Got mine reflashed and my electrics are as good as new. :woot:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
33 Posts
so a flash seems to be the solution to this problem ?

my scenario is that i have also had ALL mil lights come on simotaniously while driving a few times with no downside to performance or anything else other than T.C not coming back on untill i cycle the ignition , although i have a weird aspect to it where roughly 80% of the time i shut my truck off i lose all power as if i disconected the battery (clock resets , gauges bottom out , and have a sound allmost as if the starter solenoid is clicking ) but then can start the vehicle within 3 seconds of problem and starts fine with no issues and light go off again .
i was told to try replacing the battery in the pcm but wasnt sure if i wanted to try that , or really how easy it is to screwup my pcm if i do somthign wrong

wow sorry that was so long winded to ask if a flash is a probable solution

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
123 Posts
Ok, at least I'm not the only one who has these weird unresolved problems
I will summarize the electrical problems I have as this :
- I started to notice a high frequency noise coming out of the speakers whenever I have my stereo running and the right front or rear doors closes or opens
- Then I started to have this noise when I hit small but successive bums like the cat eyes for example, sometimes even with the stereo turned off
- I have experienced the same problem -sometimes- when the warning tone of seat built comes on
That was mainly happen in the cold days last year, I almost forgot about the problem in the summer, unless somebody shut the doors hard
- This winter, I suddenly lost the DIC, nothing else, but I noticed that the display comes on when I turn the key to the ON position, and then it disappears when the engine starts -Sometimes-, I related this problem as well to the cold weather that time, but now I have it even in the hot days
- I also experienced a wrong warning massage of "Vehicle over speed" even i was driving very slow, that was only once

I searched and searched in this forum and other forums, but nothing worked, I took it to few technicians, and no body was sure of what to do, except trial & error. Here are some of the suggestions I heard from them or from this forum :

1- The ignition switch : I asked all the electricians I visited to suspect the ignition switch, but they all checked & was sure it is not the problem
2- The flexible cable connection to the PCM : I cleaned the contact points and but no luck
3- The amplifier ? :undecided
4- The PCM :bonk: one electrician told me with cold blood : CHANGE THE PCM !! Ok see you later
5- The PCM again : Another electrician told me he will take the PCM out and let somebody check the board, but I'm not daring to let them play with the PCM
6- Grounding : this issue that came on lately, but I do not know what & where to check
7- The tail gate and hatch harness : I will check it & check also the front & rear doors
8- The dash board it self : some of them advised to change the dash board, but I'm not going to try that :hopeless

So I'm very Puzzled with this truck & wish I fix these problems
:weird:
Sorry for the long story, I hope it can help some people or help me! :thx

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
so a flash seems to be the solution to this problem ?

my scenario is that i have also had ALL mil lights come on simotaniously while driving a few times with no downside to performance or anything else other than T.C not coming back on untill i cycle the ignition , although i have a weird aspect to it where roughly 80% of the time i shut my truck off i lose all power as if i disconected the battery (clock resets , gauges bottom out , and have a sound allmost as if the starter solenoid is clicking ) but then can start the vehicle within 3 seconds of problem and starts fine with no issues and light go off again .
i was told to try replacing the battery in the pcm but wasnt sure if i wanted to try that , or really how easy it is to screwup my pcm if i do somthign wrong

wow sorry that was so long winded to ask if a flash is a probable solution
I don't think a flash of the PCM would be the recommendation for you, as you've got a more recent model vehicle. Your issue sounds like it could be a battery connection issue. How old is your battery? Check the terminals and battery cables for any corrosion, and make sure the connection is tight. If you can twist or turn the cables around the axis of the battery terminal, that is likely your issue.

I had similar issues last year after installing an extended battery terminal bolt for some electrical accessories. The post was a bit too long, and not allowing it to seat properly in the battery. The result was the battery cables weren't as tight as they needed to be, even though a side to side wiggle didn't have any movement. Twisting the position of the cables did have an effect, so I replaced the bolt with a shorter one. No problems ever since.

Ok, at least I'm not the only one who has these weird unresolved problems
I will summarize the electrical problems I have as this :
- I started to notice a high frequency noise coming out of the speakers whenever I have my stereo running and the right front or rear doors closes or opens
- Then I started to have this noise when I hit small but successive bums like the cat eyes for example, sometimes even with the stereo turned off
- I have experienced the same problem -sometimes- when the warning tone of seat built comes on
That was mainly happen in the cold days last year, I almost forgot about the problem in the summer, unless somebody shut the doors hard
- This winter, I suddenly lost the DIC, nothing else, but I noticed that the display comes on when I turn the key to the ON position, and then it disappears when the engine starts -Sometimes-, I related this problem as well to the cold weather that time, but now I have it even in the hot days
- I also experienced a wrong warning massage of "Vehicle over speed" even i was driving very slow, that was only once

I searched and searched in this forum and other forums, but nothing worked, I took it to few technicians, and no body was sure of what to do, except trial & error. Here are some of the suggestions I heard from them or from this forum :

1- The ignition switch : I asked all the electricians I visited to suspect the ignition switch, but they all checked & was sure it is not the problem
2- The flexible cable connection to the PCM : I cleaned the contact points and but no luck
3- The amplifier ? :undecided
4- The PCM :bonk: one electrician told me with cold blood : CHANGE THE PCM !! Ok see you later
5- The PCM again : Another electrician told me he will take the PCM out and let somebody check the board, but I'm not daring to let them play with the PCM
6- Grounding : this issue that came on lately, but I do not know what & where to check
7- The tail gate and hatch harness : I will check it & check also the front & rear doors
8- The dash board it self : some of them advised to change the dash board, but I'm not going to try that :hopeless

So I'm very Puzzled with this truck & wish I fix these problems
:weird:
Sorry for the long story, I hope it can help some people or help me! :thx
I would go with a bad/loose ground in your case. Not sure what search terms you tried using, but you would definitely want to look at this thread. :coffee

Location of electrical grounds

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
123 Posts
I would go with a bad/loose ground in your case. Not sure what search terms you tried using, but you would definitely want to look at this thread. :coffee

Location of electrical grounds
I hope so
I did not check the ground points based on an assumption I made with the situation I have; that is when the display is not working when I start the vehicle, it stays off until next few starts, and if it is working from the beginning it will be OK until any of next few starts, it will not turn on or off while I'm driving no matter how long I drive
Any how, I have located most of the grounding points (Not all though, G302, SP201, G305, & G403 are still not spotted) and I will work on it, your advise and help made me recall that some problems appeared after I changed engine mounts, and may be somebody accidentally touched any ground point, that time I lost the front wiper pump which made me check the fuses and then had the DIC problem :weird:
Do you think I need to disconnect the battery before I work with the ground points?
Thank you and I so much appreciate your help :tiphat

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
13 Posts
Same problem here

Mine just started doing the same thing this morning with no warning. Has anyone found a cure for it? Say tailgate open, amps drop to nothing then back up again, driver 1 not recognized, service 4WD, and airbag light.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Has anyone found a cure for it?
They have indeed. Statistically, I'd start with a ground survey first, with the biggest suspect being the one at the bottom right of the dash stack - SP201.

Do you own a voltmeter, and can you check that the battery is connected well with its cables to the alternator, fuse block, and ground?

Best resource is linked in this thread "Location of Grounds".

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
13 Posts
I tried to find that ground. I think I'm not looking in the correct spot. Passenger side? next to the center console by the left foot?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
13 Posts
Cleaned and tightened sp021 worked for about 10 miles then back to the dinging and warning lights coming on. God I hate electrical problems and this beast has more than its share

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but maybe I can help someone in the future with this problem. First let me start by saying I know NOTHING about cars. But after scouring the internet I found what I think is the solution to this problem (at least it cured my "possessed warning lights"). I did two things so I'm not sure which one fixed it. First, the bolt connecting the battery ground wire to the car was a little loose so I tightened it. The next thing I read was that sometimes the wires in the PCM will come out of the housing and rub together causing the wires to chaf and create a short. I found a couple of areas where this may have been happening and wrapped a little electrical tape around them. I haven't a light come on since!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts