Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a hefty bonus from the military here shortly. My Trailblazer has 122k on it now. Im pretty sure everything but the plugs are OEM. I am planning on getting the following done let me know what you think and if Im missing anything

- Timing chain or belt (not sure which one the 4.2 has)
- Brakes (Going to get slotted and drilled rotors)
- Water Pump
- Fan clutch
- Shocks
- Belt
- All fluids replaced

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
why replace the water pump if it is not broken?:confused:

also i would dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,456 Posts
Maybe with the water pump and clutch change add a new thermostat. Also maybe an alignment and suspension checked out. Also air filter and throttlebody cleaning. :m2:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just thinking of stuff to do so I don't have any problems. I have a FIPK from K&N so I clean the air filter twice a year. Alignment is a good idea. Thinking of getting some SS rims and new tires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to get a timing chain.. as of the 3 years I have been here I havent come across anybody with a broken chain..

I would get new shocks and struts (if they are old) and new endlinks and balljoints too
What is the service life of the timing chain? My truck has 122k. How do I know if i need new endlinks or balljoints?

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
485 Posts
The timing chain should last the life of the vehicle. Don't worry about the water pump or fan clutch unless you are having issues already. Same goes for the endlinks and balljoints. Don't fix what isn't broke. I would replace the serp belt, all fluids and get some new shocks and call it a day.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
The timing chain should last the life of the vehicle. Don't worry about the water pump or fan clutch unless you are having issues already. Same goes for the endlinks and balljoints. Don't fix what isn't broke. I would replace the serp belt, all fluids and get some new shocks and call it a day.

endlinks and balljoints are wear items like the shocks... I know I need new ones on mine soon

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How will I know if I need new endlinks and ball joints? I dont want to walk into a mechanic and have him see $$ when a soldier is asking what needs to be replaced. Also I noticed today that when Im crusing at 60-70 I can feel the TB shudders, like taking your foot off the gas and then pushing back on. If I speed up or push the brakes the shuddering stops. Should I have the transmission looked at? I had the trans flushed and filled at 95k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.