Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 GMC Envoy, and When it snows I put on the AWD and if I slip a little, the Server AWD comes on. I bought this used, and dont know if it has serviced. Has 110,000 on the truck and I also would like to save money and do myself if I can. If I can do it myself, please post links to how to's, or guide me through the process if you would not mind. thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If you get the service 4WD light on, then something's seriously wrong with the system. Have to consulted a dealer or mechanic before now, such as when it happened?

Please run a search here and read a few dozen of the archived posts about the "front axle actuator" and the "transfer case encoder motor" and then you'll be a bit more up to speed.

Have you tried 4HI and 4LO modes? What do you observe? You can do this with the ignition on and the engine off, and you should hear some motor noises from underneath. Describe the noises and what you see happening with the lights.

This system is my specialty, but there are a few things that can be bad, especially with 2002 vintage.

The service interval for the transfer case is 50K, I think. And the differentials are 100K. How many miles on the truck when you bought it?

Do you do your own work or do you have a trusted mechanic? Do you own a meter and know how to use it? What's the most complex thing you've ever worked on a vehicle before? Just trying to get you calibrated so I know at what level to explain things at after you do a bit of that reading I recommended.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It only came on a couple times, and it was when I guess I should have said. REALLY COLD - I was thinking maybe that maybe some fluids were low, and maybe freezing. I dont know

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont a lot on cars, not expert, but built a tuner Car N/A. (all engine) But have not touch 4x4 SUV before.

Issues:

1) when its wicked cold, I'll come out and when I start the voy up, it will save service AWD or whatever. ( i get no lights, and if turned nothing happens.)

2) Driving in rain with AWD on works without no issues

3) When driving in snow/slush, if the AWD compensates, It shuts the lights on the Transfer case switch and then AWD comes up. Of course at that point I dont know if it get stuck i AWD or go to 2WD.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Driving in rain with AWD on works without no issues
This happens because it isn't slipping on the wet pavement, so the driveshaft sensors aren't calling for the transfer case to start working.

Just come back after you do a bit of reading, and let us know what happens when you're sitting still and try 4HI and 4LO modes.

In the threads you should find with a search, I mention a fuse to pull and see if you can get the system to re-initialize. Try that and report the results also.

Good luck, and welcome!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it works currently and would have to wait until next winter. As said its only when it freezing and after it does its job once.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As stated. Its summer and i would like to do some maintenance on it, cause Im sure its needed

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow nice write up on the TB cleaning! I think I'll do that Saturday! As for the Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change, Is there a good write up on that one? PS. I have 100K on my Voy, so now would be the time to do both I guess!
PS thanks for your help on this!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Just run a search. The write-ups aren't so detailed, but they're much easier if you know anything about diffs. Or Google for "differential oil change". Plenty of other web sites with good tutorials.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also another Question: I went to pump up my Tires, VERY LOW, Slight leak in the tire, so I decided to make sure the other tired were up to snuff. I clicked the on switch and the air lasted about 5 mins and then shut off, and I got a blinking orange light - Took about 4 mins to pump up 20 psi in the front tire, and 1 min to RUN really fast around to the other 3 tires. All were 32psi So I left them at that. That was 5 weeks ago, and as of about 5 days ago, when I come out in the morning my Voy's back end was down pretty low. I turn to ACC and the compressor filled it up in about 3 mins and then Shut off. So every morning its pretty low and again 3 mins fills up and I am on my way. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
1) That compressor does heat up quickly - it's more meant for beach toys than tires.

2) They also have a tendency to start leaking (bags/hoses) after a few years. Not a very reliable system. Start spraying the bags and hoses with soapy water to find a leak.

3) Please fill out your profile so we can save time knowing what vehicle we're dealing with. Thx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts