Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Magnaflow dual catback exhaust system and would like to make my own for less money if possible...

So here are my questions:

1) I can purchase the Magnaflow 5"x11"x22" with the single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet for around $100. So first off is this the correct muffler that is included in the Magnaflow dual catback exhaust system that normally runs around $800-$850 for the complete system?
2) If i buy this muffler and have it installed at a muffler shop what else do i need to purchase.. I believe all i will need is the 2 Magnaflow resonators... and just have them bend the pipes and install it.... Am i wrong?

3) If i have it set up this way, will i get the same sound and performance as putting on the more expensive complete catback exhaust kit?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Thanks for your input and knowledge on this.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
I would think it would be very close as long as the shop you have bending the pipes does stainless steel so it does'nt rust and mandrel bends for a smoother flow. The shop that did mine only uses aluminized steel so it will rust.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
search for resonator removal or resonator delete in the search function. there is an abundance of information in those threads, with a ton of members that have had the resonator delete done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have already deleated my resonator on my stock exhaust... Im just wondering what it would sound like with the magnaflow muffler and a resonator delete...
I want something that doesn not sound ricey... I want something as deep as i can get it so it sounds powerfull.. Basicly Mean as hell at WOT.. But not alot of noise when im cruising at 70-75..

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Ihave the Flowmaster 50 series and it did sound kind of ricey and ended up putting a resonator back on in line behind the muffler and it sounds so much better.:m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
I would think it would be very close as long as the shop you have bending the pipes does stainless steel so it does'nt rust and mandrel bends for a smoother flow. The shop that did mine only uses aluminized steel so it will rust.
If yu filled out your userCP i would kno where yu lived and know whether rocksalt was an issue or not...reguardless stick with stainless steel

hmmm... now im wondering.. What do you think it would sound like with just the muffler and some nice tips... No resonator???:confused:
using the magnaflow muffler? i have the magnaflow dual setup ( i have no camera to post it though) wat i have actually done on occasion is take off my one resinator (usually did my drivers side, was smoother operation IMO) so off my muffler i had one resinator and one side open (no piping attached)...sounded beast but yu need to remember that our trucks need backpressure to retain their power...keep that into consideration when choosing your pipe sizing:yes:

my buddy (foosh) who swapped setups with me at one point actually just put two turndowns off the muffler and called it a day...sounded nasty he said but some serious highway drone :m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
im sry 07blazerman i didnt mean to quote you on that one :eek::duh::duh::duh:

19dsniper that was to you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking at doing a 3 inch in, and a 2.5 inch dual out... With 4" tips, just like on the complete catback exhaust system... Will that give me enough back preasure? If not, what do you recomend? Im still lost in the sauce when it comes to back preasure.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
...my buddy (foosh) who swapped setups with me at one point actually just put two turndowns off the muffler and called it a day...sounded nasty he said but some serious highway drone :m2:
the hanger on my driver side resonator broke and I removed both resonators. At first I left the piping on and it sounded real good. The drone was bearable tho. I started getting some rattling from the pipes not having hangers so I took them off also. Talk about major drone, at any speed.

I was looking at doing a 3 inch in, and a 2.5 inch dual out... With 4" tips, just like on the complete catback exhaust system... Will that give me enough back preasure? If not, what do you recomend? Im still lost in the sauce when it comes to back preasure.
It's enough but you'll have some drone. Unless you mean resonators with 4" tips then you'll be good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.. so that is my current plan.. Magnaflow muffler single 3" in, dual 2.5" out with 2 magnaflow resonators with 4" tips...

So where do i find the 2 Magnaflow resonators for a good price? I found the muffler.... But resonators have been a different story. :hissy:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
43 Posts
I have the magnaflow duals and I don't think it sounds like a pissed off bumblebee. If you want to hear how they sound I will be at the Carlisle Meet. I think the sound great and not overbearing on the highway. I would stick with the magnaflow kit. You might get it alot cheaper than $800. I think I paid $760 for mine. :woohoo:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/exhaust_system/chevy/trailblazer.html

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
319 Posts
:hijacked I have a question when I installed my exhaust I didn't notice that after the cat they had a 3" inlet and had a 2.50". I feel like it looses presure should I buy a new one.:undecided

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok... so i contacted Magnaflow again and they are telling me that it is a 3"in and a 2.25" dual out... I was wrong in thinking it was a 2.5".. They are also telling me that they dont sell any parts... just the complete Catback exhaust system.. I know this isnt true.. I have found other parts including the Magnaflow 5"x11"x22" muffler that is used on the full catback system... So now how do i find the Magnaflow Resonators that go with the system??? Still cant find them ANYWHERE!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its interesting.. As i look at that sight you refered me to it shows the muffler to be a 5"x8"x18"..... Yet dirrectly from the magnaflow website they sell the 5"x11"x22" with their system for the 05 trailbaby...??? I wonder if it makes a difference in performance?... im sure it would make a difference in sound..:confused:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
143 Posts
performance wise probably no performance difference and sound maybe alittle. I am happy with mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So im thinking about doing the 5"x11"x22" muffler and leaving the rest stock, and just running a straight pipe out the back... atleast for now.. Untill i can find the Magnaflow resonators.. Do you think im going to have alot of drone at highway speeds???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.