Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a billet bowtie from mike at jetttstream for my 06 LT. Removing the grille is simple enough, its the same as removing one from a TB with the crossbar that goes into the headlights. However, the grille is in two attached pieces: 1) the chrome and painted framework and 2) the black plastic "honeycomb" insert. Because there arent any visible bolts on the back of this assembly, my assumption is that I have to separate the two in order to attach what is supposed to be a bolt on bowtie. There are numerous clips that hold the two together, but they are impossible to get apart without risk of (or because I already managed to break one) breaking. Are there any tricks or tips to doing this? I dont really see any good way to get all of the clips held back while the two parts are separated... Sorry for the lenghty explanation, hopefully some of you guys have an idea of what Im talking about!!
Thanks!

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
I took one apart a few weeks back while doing some layout work for a project I have coming up......you will need to use a 1" wide putty knife and slowly pry/pop each tab one at a time.....then after you pop each tab free you will have to insert a screwdriver or a wedge of some sort between each piece of the grille. I'm not sure why you're trying to take the grille apart, since the bowtie is permanently melted onto the grille, you will have to grind the melted backing off the bowtiesurround if you want it off, or you can just use a fishing line and saw the bowtie off leaving the chrome surround. If you want to replace the entire bowtie and surround you will have to come up with some sort of way to attach the new bowtie.....hopefully it is big enough to cover the molded bowtie on the body matched part of the surround. Pics of the donor grille I took apart.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on the backside of the new bowtie i got, there are 4 strips of double sided tape, and 4 threaded holes for what i assume would have been screws holding in the stock bowtie. its also big enough to cover the entire opening left by the gold and also chrome backing, so i guess as long as i get the two pieces apart, i can figure out how to mount after. about how much elbow and time did you spend getting the assembly apart?

·
Registered
293 Posts
on the backside of the new bowtie i got, there are 4 strips of double sided tape, and 4 threaded holes for what i assume would have been screws holding in the stock bowtie. its also big enough to cover the entire opening left by the gold and also chrome backing, so i guess as long as i get the two pieces apart, i can figure out how to mount after. about how much elbow and time did you spend getting the assembly apart?
I think what he is telling you is that its pointless to take apart the grille. The gold piece is taped onto the chrome piece....Now he is saying the chrome piece is "permanently melted onto the grille" so therefor you need to figure out how to get it off. This whole ordeal is a big fricken mess. I will buy A UNBROKEN gold bowtie if you can get it off...I plan to just paint mine.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
I think what he is telling you is that its pointless to take apart the grille. The gold piece is taped onto the chrome piece....Now he is saying the chrome piece is "permanently melted onto the grille" so therefor you need to figure out how to get it off. This whole ordeal is a big fricken mess. I will buy A UNBROKEN gold bowtie if you can get it off...I plan to just paint mine.
I am in the same situation. I tore off the gold cover thinking I was going to buy a new chrome emblem until I looked at splitting the grill which looks impossible. Now I don’t know what to do.:worried:
Both of you can just take an adjustable, break off razor knife...the little cheap 99 cent ones from lowes or wherever and push the blade out an inch or so and VERY CAREFULLY cut the clear silicone from between the gold emblem and the chrome. Clean up the silicone mess with a scraper and sand and paint the original gold bowtie on the outside, then double side tape it back on when done.

PM me if either of you need a bowtie, I have one left from the donor grille.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mentalmadness, i'll be sure to let you know. I figure i'll just manage to get the gold one off without damaging it, then dremel the rest of the chrome piece off... and theeeen figure out how to attach the new one on, even if i have to go through the entire assembly. :bonk: its kind of crappy that i go out of my way to get the new one thats big enough to replace the entire oem gold one, and then there isnt a way to reasonably install it. :mad: I'll have updates by thursday for sure since i work a half day tomorrow and im off on thursday.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have had my gold one off. I just put some wide electrical tape over it and shoe goo'd it back on...I plan to buy a new gold one...or someones that isnt broken so that I can paint it and put it on.

So does anyone have a unbroken gold piece? Help a fellow trailvoyer out. .....LOL i said "voyer"...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bad news and good news.

Bad news first, and this is basically for mentalmadness: the day before i decided to set some time aside to make it work, i was walking up to my truck and saw that a rock or some toher foreign object had cracked the gold bowtie. spider cracks all over the place. sorry buddy.

Good news: First, the chromed plastic piece that the gold bowtie sits in is NOT permanently melted onto the grill. i found that just because it sits in a recessed outline, it is much harder to get to. so with some prying, chipping, and the help of my dremmel, everything came off eventually. i cut out a cardboard mockup so that i could align the holes that were on the billet bowtie, drilled inthe the grill framework... then had some trial and error work with the alignment... perhaps an hour later, i had a real mean looking bowtie on the front of my truck.

pics! enjoy! (or as much as you can, i know i still need a new camera, lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got an 08 LT last week and one of the first things I wanted to do is replace the bubbling gold bowtie. Apparently that's easier said than done.

I'm wondering - were you able to get the new one on without having to separate the grill pieces or did you have to pry them apart? I was looking at mine and it looks like more of an ordeal than I thought it would be to get those apart.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,349 Posts
if you just want to replace gold bowtie, that will come off with fishing line. you can get between the bow tie and the chrome piece. but be very careful and take it slow. (search threads on bowtie for more details) that bowtie is very flimzy. i cracked mine. once thats off, you can paint it and put it back on w/ automotive double sided tape. if your good at masking, you could tape it off and just paint the bowtie. i went w/ a polished bowtie from jetttstream (one of the venders on the site) it fills the whole space of bowtie and chrome part once off. i had to chip and pry and dremel as stated in this thread. i did not have to take the grill apart. just took it off the tb to work on it. good luck.:)

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
Has anyone tried spray painting the inside of the emblem after removing? My rear one was easily flicked off with my fingernail and I am planning on repainting it with my wife's Krylon 1000 Premium Metallic Craft Spray Paint, Gold. Perhaps the plastic insert is a little different from the back one and can't be scraped and cleaned for repainting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.