Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just like many others my spare would only lower about 3-4 inches and stop. I tried shaking, pulling and kicking the tire to no avail. Once I realized this wasn't helping I used a couple jack stands to hold the tire up while I lowered the cable until it stopped. I was able to the see the secondary lock mechanism and release it with a screwdriver. 1st Pic.

Once released, I let the cable out all the way so I could work on it without laying on my back (tire still on the jack stands).

2nd Pic is where the problem is, this needs to move freely into the housing.

Clean the rust and grim off, lube it with oil, grab it with some pliers and start twisting until it frees up. I also used channel locks to push it into the housing, 3rd Pic. Blast it with some carb cleaner to get the loose crude out and repeat with the oil and pliers. I did this 4 times to get clean enough to move it into the housing by hand.

Once complete you should be able to grab the cable with one hand and pull the mechanism with the other and have it work as it should.
4th Pic - no tension on the cable, locked.
5th pic - With tension on the cable
Be sure to lube with a heavy oil and you're done.

I hope this helps.....

Attachments

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
THANKS! For discovering the site, joining, and especially CONTRIBUTING! :tiphat

Now we have a thread to points others to in the future. It sure has been a harsh winter across the country for batteries, ignition switches, starters, and spare tire latches. Pothole season will bring out dozens of newbs who need to use their spares, and discover: AArgggggg, they can't get it down.

Of course, newbs :confused: won't find this thread on their own because they almost never see the "search" button :rolleyes:, but we can point them to it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Welcome to the site and thank you for the information.....this does come in handy.......:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Welcome, and thanks. Since I've got mine up on stands, Ill check the spare. Last weekend was the first time I had looked under the truck. Boy the Chicago area weather and road craters sure does wonders for suspension and corrosion.:mad: I'm sure my spare is rusted and froze up.

Thanks again, and welcome.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
Article!

Do it yourself or else I will! :D

Thanks for the writeup and for being a member. I'm gonna have to see if that tire was ever lowered... I think my parents got all 5 when they switched my tires last but I never know what they do. The "comment" on all the modifications I do and yet they never tell me what they get done at the dealer or elsewhere... But now I'm rambling...

Regards,
Keith

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat I'll put this in my favorites list.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
269 Posts
Thanks for the write up, I just a couple days ago wrote up a can u help me post for just that problem........now I just have to wait for a mild day to get under there and fix the secondary latch

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

This is the least I could do since I've gained so much knowledge from everyone here. I'll be sure to post more once I get the other projects underway.....

·
Banned
771 Posts
I need to get mine down this Summer, I tried last Summer and couldn't get it down. I may need to buy new parts because I don't get it down I'll be doing some cutting. Anyone bought parts recently for this and have part nos?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
hmm:undecided guess i need to check mine out now :duh: nice write up and a reminder :suicide: :thx

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
Zubius.....very nice how-to write up...thanks, I'm sure this thread will get pointed to quite a bit. Thanks for the contribution!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
great write up! My latch was frozen as well. Only took me 30 minutes to remove spare and free up, otherwise I could not see how this latch worked at all. Procedure in manual is a joke for the corroded ends. I will be sure to carry a screwdriver if I ever need to get up there and release it on the side of the road!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
wow- this thread is a month old--- and I missed it till today..
just yesterday I posted that those in the rust belt should excercise that mechanism several times a year- and lube it well to keep corrosion away.

Im surprissed at how many have never lowered their spare.
Even I- that am in California- no rust here- lower and raise this 2 times a year.....
--- lower the spare.. get ajax and wash the tire and rim, air it back up to spec- then check the cable and raise it back up....

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
Guilty of that. Once I did get the spare down, and the latched cleaned up- my spare only had 10lbs of air in it, would have been worthless!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
8 Posts
ugh....stuck

Ok, so here I am trying to be a good doobie and change my wife rear Diff fluid. Now I get stuck at the spare tire for the past 2 hours.

I lock mechanism, but for the life of me, I cannot figure it out. I know I am asking for a spoon feeding here, but I do not know how to get this secondary lock released. I see the mechanism, but I do not know how to get it to release.

The guide here says to use a screwdriver......now for the spoon, where? I have been jamming it up against the groove for the past hour, to no luck.

Any, more detailed how to is appreciated, as I am stuck now with the ole tire hanging.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
set 2 jack stands under the tire about 3 inches lower than the stowed position so the weight of the tire is resting on the jack stands when you lower the tire, then either jiggle the center piece until it releases or stick a screwdriver up there to unlatch the latch , jiggling the center piece worked finr for me

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
i was able to get mine out without a problem, but good write up!

·
Banned
771 Posts
Guys I'm back at this for the second year and still cannot figure this thing out. I bought the truck used in 2007 so I do not know if this thing was ever down. I tried last year but gave up.

I wound the cable and wheel dropped about two inches, I cannot get to see anything between the wheel and the body. I put the jack in the middle but it slides of the the side everytime because of that end of cable thingy. Am I supposed to jack that piece straight or can it bend off to the side. The jack will not stay straight because that end thingy throws it off to the side.

This is too complicated for a spare wheel. If it stuck you cannot even SEE where to put the screwdriver. Utterly nuts!

I can feel the guide for the cable downward and some sort of boot/covering. I spray a whole can of penetrating oil blindly up there, hopefully it catches the correct spot and loosens it.
But can please answer this.
Is that cable end supposed to go directly up, when you jack. I'm jacking until the vehicle is lift but nothing is releasing.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
another great invention by GM

1 - 20 of 129 Posts