Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
261 Posts
WOW, nice job iznit! can you come over and help me do mine! lol

i really need to get this done soon...

It probably a world of a difference once you put the new arm bracket on.
After I got the alignment adjusted it feels real nice. I'm glad that annoying squeak is gone when braking too. I've got a couple more noises I'm trying to track down though.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
Thanks for the write up and pictures, got my 2 new Dorman brackets from Rockauto today, going to attempt this Saturday after I soak the bolts with PB. I'm new to independent susupension, is that a zirk I see on the bottom of the upper ball joint?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
New Lower Cntrl arm bushing noise...

03 TB 4x4 inline 6. My fairly new Dorman lower control arm is making noise. It's less than a year old. It's squeaking badly from the drivers side on the side that's closest to the grill. If I loosen all bolts, don't hear the noise. But tighten them to spec, and it's very noisy. I pried an open end wrench between the frame hanger and the bushing bracket and it squeaks badly. In other words if the metal casing around the actual bushing moves, I hear the squeak very loudly. Did I get a defective Dorman part from Rockauto?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
20 Posts
of ebay i purchased both upper control arms, both lower control arms with the ball joint and bracket already on it. 299.99 plus 18 shipping.

macautoshop on ebay. i called them up since they are based out of ny and seemed pretty knowledgeable. we will see. they are oem specific.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
260 Posts
Nice write up,thanks for sharing

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where did you buy the bushings? Online, locally,....plz send info I would like to do this as well

I replaced my upper and lower ball joints w/out knowing I could have just replaced the entire lower assembly and be done with it. So I am not gonna pay for it all over again if I dont have to. I have a 20 ton press here @ home so if I can find just the bushings and I can install them myself it would be will worth it....I do all my own labor.

Check this out....looks like what I need.... http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/chevrolet-suspension-control-arm-bushing/avlsMAq

on RockAuto's website is ya follow 2002 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER 4.2L L6 : Suspension : Control Arm Bushing you will see what s available

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
260 Posts
Hi Roland,
yes you are right it is RAYBESTOS lower and upper arm bushing i am lucky that i got these bushing here in saudi arabia,and as you are aware that in states you get so many products you can just buy it online,by the way other three old bushing he extacted using the machine and it came out easily.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Roland,
yes you are right it is RAYBESTOS lower and upper arm bushing i am lucky that i got these bushing here in saudi arabia,and as you are aware that in states you get so many products you can just buy it online,by the way other three old bushing he extacted using the machine and it came out easily.
Thx BG for the info!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
3 Posts
Great write-up on replacing the front control arms. I get the pleasure of doing mine this evening... Amazon carries control arm assemblies for around $140 a side / with free shipping.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced my lower control arm support brackets last night.

The first part was pretty straight forward. You take the wheels off and remove the two bolts that connect the support brackets to the lower control arm.

Remove the three bolts from underneath the support brackets. I used some chalk to mark up the original brackets so I could try to get an idea of where I needed to put the new ones in place. I also removed the end links from the lower control arm so I could move it around easier. This allowed me to get the lower control arm out of the way while I slid the brackets out. The brackets were stuck in there pretty hard. It took me about 10 minutes to get each one out. The passenger side had a lot of build up/corrosion that all fell down on the floor as I was prying it out.

I need to get my alignment done ASAP. Despite my best efforts of putting things back in the same place I can tell it isn't right. My steering wheel now has to be turned to the left a little bit in order to keep the both wheels straight. Hopefully I can get into a shop tomorrow afternoon for the alignment. As luck would have it I had a shop do my lower ball joints about 2 months ago and for $10 extra bucks they offered me free alignments for a year. I think they figured they were going to make a quick $10 bucks but it was worth it now that I need the alignment.

The squeaking noise when braking is completely gone. I really wish I would have done this sooner.

Also, hind sight being 20/20, I would have purchased the entire lower control arm replacement that includes the support brackets, control arm, and lower ball joints pressed in already. If I recall correctly they are about $160 for each side. So for $320 plus shipping you will get new ball joints already pressed in and just need to be bolted on as well as the new lower control arm support brackets which will solve any squeaking noise you have now or in the future. Yes, you will need to pay for an alignment but that is a cost you would have to pay for regardless if you do the replacement work yourself or have a shop do it. I paid $140 for the lower ball joints alone (plus $200 for install labor/alignment) a few months ago and now I just spent about $240 for lower control arm support brackets. I would have saved a few hundred bucks and a lot of time working on my front end. Just something to think about if you're in the market for some front suspension work.
Great pics and description. I had the same issue and ignoring the squeaking until it went away on its own left me with a new issue of the truck being unable to hold an alignment, I replace everything in the front end (tie rods, sway bar connecting links, Upper control arm and ball joint, and lower ball joints) since the work was complete I have had to have 4 wheel alignments and also have gone through 4 front tires but the car still won’t hold the alignment .
My question for the forum is since I already replace the lower ball joints if I just replace the lower control arm bracket does that replace all the bushing associated with the lower control arm, and do you think that will correct the alignment issue or can it be something else entirely. Thanks ahead of time Cyril 2002 trailblazer LS 4.2 6cyl.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
16 Posts
Lower control strut

What is the best way to remove the lower arm of the strut mount if a guy does want to replace the whole lower control arm and the bracket in one swoop? When I replaced struts six months ago I was unable to remove that lower arm connected to the

·
Registered
2 Posts
The list price is about 150 each. The dealer is gonna charge probably double that each. And I don't remember what the labor times were, but it took me about 2 hours to do both sides not including the alignment. gmpartsdirect.com sells them if you want to just buy them from there and take them to the dealer to have them installed.
Does anyone know how much say, Muffler Man would charge for labor for installing the lower control arm brackets on an '06 envoy? I have the brackets. I called 2 muffler man places and they never heard of these brackets

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
449 Posts
Does anyone know how much say, Muffler Man would charge for labor for installing the lower control arm brackets on an '06 envoy? I have the brackets. I called 2 muffler man places and they never heard of these brackets
Hmm , maybe you don't want either of those places touching your vehicle . ;)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts