Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this harsh squeak noise for awhile, never could figure it out until someone told me it was my control arm bushing. Every now and then i'll spray it with WD-40 and it goes a way.

I've been holding this off to get fixed because everyone told me that i would have to buy the the whole control arm bracket, and they go for $150 each.

but before i was looking at GMdirectparts web site, and they sell the bushings for the lower control arm unit.

why can't i do that, when everyone else tells me they don't make bushings for the control arm?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
575 Posts
They dont actually sell the bushings separate. Trust me, I've tried to get them for my truck as well as customers. The bushings cannot be pressed in or out of the brackets. They are formed into them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i were to bring it down to the chevorlet dealership, and have them replace it, roughly how much you think it would cost?

you said they were $150 a piece right

·
Registered
575 Posts
The list price is about 150 each. The dealer is gonna charge probably double that each. And I don't remember what the labor times were, but it took me about 2 hours to do both sides not including the alignment. gmpartsdirect.com sells them if you want to just buy them from there and take them to the dealer to have them installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I'm having the same problem. The problem is more annoying than anything. You'll lube the points, the sound goes away. Then, when it rains, the sound seems to come back 10-fold. ERRRRRR!!!!!!!! ..Trailblazer02.. Thanks for the info:woot: about where to get them and the prices. If I find some cheaper I will let you all know.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Dorman (bless their corporate business model) makes aftermarket lower brackets. Available at rockauto and many other retailers. I've asked if they might consider making aftermarket lower control arms, which contain the lower mounting bushing and pin for the coilover strut. So far, no decision.

Dorman already makes entire replacement UPPER control arms with bushings to save us money.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
156 Posts
I actually knew that much. :D
I would go to the trouble of getting them lubed anyway if I thought it would save me from buying an entire control arm to replace a bushing.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
85 Posts
I've had to have 3 of my 4 control arms replaced at 140K miles, because the damn bushings wore out. My mechanic told me that the grease from fluids leaking from the engine breaks down the rubber over time. If that's true, then greasing the bushings is a bad idea, unless you use silicone or some such.

Regards, Chas

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem at 121k miles. Do you think a graphite lubricant be less destructive to the bushings ?. I would think that WD40 being petroleum based would be just as bad as applying grease.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
So in everybodys experience, is it the upper control arms or the lower control arms that are making all of the noise?

I see Rockauto has both upper control arms, but only lists the right side lower ?? either the right and left lower are interchangable or Rock doesnt carry the left side. Any insight?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
It is the lowers making noise. I have DJM upper control arms which are greaseable and my truck made the noise before and after the DJM control arms.

They had both a few weeks ago so they just sold out or whatever. They are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
It is the lowers making noise. I have DJM upper control arms which are greaseable and my truck made the noise before and after the DJM control arms.

They had both a few weeks ago so they just sold out or whatever. They are not interchangeable.
Thanks!

Im going to go ahead and replace both the uppers and lowers. When I stop, I get a 'clunk!" which started in the past few months, and the same thing when I start to go, not to mention the annoying loud "CREEEAAAAKKKKK!" that Ive been experiencing for the past 2 years or so. My end links are tight and only about 1.5 years old. Maybe when Im down there replacing the lower control arms, Ill replace the ball joints and end links (again). I have 127,000 miles and noticed my steering is pretty sloppy lately. I replaced both outer tie rods this past summer.

What do you guys think about the (new) lower control arms that are going for $79/ea on Ebay?

·
Registered
2003 chevy
115 Posts
Thanks!

Im going to go ahead and replace both the uppers and lowers. When I stop, I get a 'clunk!" which started in the past few months, and the same thing when I start to go, not to mention the annoying loud "CREEEAAAAKKKKK!" that Ive been experiencing for the past 2 years or so. My end links are tight and only about 1.5 years old. Maybe when Im down there replacing the lower control arms, Ill replace the ball joints and end links (again). I have 127,000 miles and noticed my steering is pretty sloppy lately. I replaced both outer tie rods this past summer.

What do you guys think about the (new) lower control arms that are going for $79/ea on Ebay?
I just replaced both uppers last month and the lowers about 8 months ago (Northern vehicle). The upper ones were made by DORMAN and available at Advance auto for $79.99. I found the same exact part made by DORMAN on ebay for $36.00 each with free shipping. A mechanic told me to watch out for aftermarket lowers because of strength issues so I just bought them from GM. Was he right…I don’t know, but I will tell you that I paid a pretty penny for them :m2:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
I just replaced both uppers last month and the lowers about 8 months ago (Northern vehicle). The upper ones were made by DORMAN and available at Advance auto for $79.99. I found the same exact part made by DORMAN on ebay for $36.00 each with free shipping. A mechanic told me to watch out for aftermarket lowers because of strength issues so I just bought them from GM. Was he right…I don’t know, but I will tell you that I paid a pretty penny for them :m2:
I just purchased Dorman® upper control arms for $41.99/ea at RockAuto. Still not as cheap as ebay, but I trust RockAuto.

$79.99 is a joke and a total ripoff. Just hearing that Advance Auto charging that kind of $ for the Dorman® upper control arms, makes me want to order future parts from online wholesalers MORE and go into the stores less. Talk about markup, geesh!! :crazy:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just replaced my lower control arm support brackets last night.

The first part was pretty straight forward. You take the wheels off and remove the two bolts that connect the support brackets to the lower control arm.

Remove the three bolts from underneath the support brackets. I used some chalk to mark up the original brackets so I could try to get an idea of where I needed to put the new ones in place. I also removed the end links from the lower control arm so I could move it around easier. This allowed me to get the lower control arm out of the way while I slid the brackets out. The brackets were stuck in there pretty hard. It took me about 10 minutes to get each one out. The passenger side had a lot of build up/corrosion that all fell down on the floor as I was prying it out.

I need to get my alignment done ASAP. Despite my best efforts of putting things back in the same place I can tell it isn't right. My steering wheel now has to be turned to the left a little bit in order to keep the both wheels straight. Hopefully I can get into a shop tomorrow afternoon for the alignment. As luck would have it I had a shop do my lower ball joints about 2 months ago and for $10 extra bucks they offered me free alignments for a year. I think they figured they were going to make a quick $10 bucks but it was worth it now that I need the alignment.

The squeaking noise when braking is completely gone. I really wish I would have done this sooner.

Also, hind sight being 20/20, I would have purchased the entire lower control arm replacement that includes the support brackets, control arm, and lower ball joints pressed in already. If I recall correctly they are about $160 for each side. So for $320 plus shipping you will get new ball joints already pressed in and just need to be bolted on as well as the new lower control arm support brackets which will solve any squeaking noise you have now or in the future. Yes, you will need to pay for an alignment but that is a cost you would have to pay for regardless if you do the replacement work yourself or have a shop do it. I paid $140 for the lower ball joints alone (plus $200 for install labor/alignment) a few months ago and now I just spent about $240 for lower control arm support brackets. I would have saved a few hundred bucks and a lot of time working on my front end. Just something to think about if you're in the market for some front suspension work.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW, nice job iznit! can you come over and help me do mine! lol

i really need to get this done soon...

It probably a world of a difference once you put the new arm bracket on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts