Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Low Oil Pressure

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  petevw 
#1 ·
It tells me i have low oil pressure and shut off engine.. so i turn it offf turn it back on and its fine for about ten seconds and then it does it again .... the gauge goes between zero and about 40 constantly ...

idk what to do ... has anyone occured this problem or have a solution

replys will be much appreciated

#3 ·
Mine started doing that at about 80,000 miles. I checked the oil pressure with a mechanical guage, and it was fine, so I ignored it. Finally, 2 weeks ago when I did the 150,000 mile service, I replaced the oil pressure switch. It cost me about $40 from the local dealer, and took about 10 minutes to change. I can't find the part number right now.

#4 ·
I was just going to suggest checking the actual oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. The dash gauge is reading from a sensor, so there can be wiring problems that affect what it displays. And since someone already suggested checking the oil level, this would be my next step.

#6 ·
If you didn't drain it into a container to measure it, then what it "looked like" could be a wide range. It's best to hook up a $30 mechanical gauge to see what the oil pressure actually is inside the engine. Then you will know if there is a mechanical or an electrical problem (most likely an electrical prob).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.