Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GMC Envoy SLT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought this Envoy about a month ago and had to replace the low beam relay before driving it home. It has barely over 100k miles. It just went out again. A Google search showed it is a common problem. What can I do to fix it other than keeping a couple extra relays just in case?

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,581 Posts
You need to replace the low beam headlamp relay with the heavy duty one, GM part number 13506836.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Beetle13

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,394 Posts
... and whilst you're at it --- test the rest of your relays.

I found several of mine were "questionable" even though they clicked OK and seemed to work.

It made a noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,394 Posts
To the best of MY knowledge, you can use the HD relays in all positions. It was just a bean counter's design to specify cheaper relays for less current hungry circuits.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,689 Posts
Just a note, the low beam "relay" is not really a relay, but an electronic device that produces a PWM (pulse width modulation) signal to control the intensity of the low beams (such as DRL). This device is also used to control the fan clutch.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Envoy SLT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah got the other one on the way had to order it. Gonna keep 2 of the cheaper Duralast ones in the glove box just in case. If anything happens to the Duralast ones they have lifetime warranty so you can return them for a replacement. Just need spares just in case. Seems GM dropped the ball on this. I think I saw where 2006 and on had some recalls for it but doesn't seem to cover the 2005. Local Autozone had only one in stock I just hope it lasts a few days til I get the other one lol. Gonna try and make a habit of turning off the daytime running lamps during the day. We only drive this vehicle for my daughters softball practices and tournaments so hopefully I can remember to do that.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
541 Posts
When it was me, I found instructions on the internet to defeat the Damned Daytime Running Lights; now they're permanently off. I may have gotten the instructions from this web site--but it's been so many years I don't really remember.

Cost about $10 in parts--a relay, some wire and wire terminals, a little solder.

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
195 Posts
This link is what you're looking for. I did the DRL defeat and the Quad Hi Beams mod and have not had any issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts