Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey wrench heads, need some opinions before I start throwing parts at it. 03 Tb LS I6, 185000miles. The sound(rumble) starts at low speed and increases on acceleration and rumble stays consistent at 50 and above. No vibration in steering wheel, but rumble after 40mph feels like subs bumping your whole body Sound is coming from rear. Tires checked and properly inflated. Pinion seal, not leaking. Both u joints on driveshaft solid, no play in driveshaft or dents (metal driveshaft btw). Ok, heres whats got me stumped. It will be so loud in vehicle at 55mph, your almost yelling to talk to the wife, which can easily be mistaken by the little lady and put me in the doghouse, you married guys who arent in denial know what im talking about. Well, if you put it in neutral, ...:weird:..you can only hear the engine??? Now I know if im wrong I'll be corrected, but, its not the rear wheel bearings, cause they're always spinning, right? And in nuetral, the transmission stops output to driveshaft, but driveshaft still spins connected to rear, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys, I know someone has an idea. :undecided Anything that may be relevant. I have been researching all day, and found that someone was having a similar problem, and ujoint looked fine, no shake, but replaced it and the vibration & rumble stopped. So I guess I'll go buy 2 u joints 2moro, and when I get a chance, change'em. Any other ideas would be appreciated. :tiphat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This must be real simple, or real hard? Snow has melted enough to park it 4 a little while now. Was gonna work on it. Anything from anybody??????

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Is it 2WD or 4x4? Had a transfer cAse go bad once (on a suv with the much disliked blue oval on it) and it did that.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
28 Posts
Even if the seals aren't leaking it could possibly be your dif about to blow. Mine was loud too, ( both my wheel bearings were shot and adding to it) check the front and rear for any sort of metal shavings, if there's missing teeth it's going to be loud. Hard to check the front condition thanks to them mounting it to the oil pain, but least the rear if you have to you can take the cover off to see.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if the seals aren't leaking it could possibly be your dif about to blow. Mine was loud too, ( both my wheel bearings were shot and adding to it) check the front and rear for any sort of metal shavings, if there's missing teeth it's going to be loud. Hard to check the front condition thanks to them mounting it to the oil pain, but least the rear if you have to you can take the cover off to see.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks 4 your input. But if it was the differential, wouldnt it still make noise in neutral? I do not have the g80 locker, and its my understanding that nothing quits turning in neutral, so if the rear differential is connected to the axle and wheel, it doesnt stop spinning unless the vehicle is stopped. Correct? It is 4x4. Again, it only makes the rumbling in drive, even doing 60mph, and putting it in neutral, it gets quiet, no vibration, rumbling, just engine idle noise. Put it back in drive, and the rumble and vibration comes right back. I did finally get to Oreillys 2day and bought both driveshaft u joints and diff fluid. Were supposed 2 get 4-10 in of snow again 2nite, but gonna get it in my garage, lord willing, and change joints and fluid. Will try 2 update 2moro evening. Thanks ppl. Any ideas, and pls correct me if im wrong about everything spinning in the rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I checked the u joints while on the truck, and no play, no wiggle, solid as a rock. Took it off and knocked the rust off and it blew apart. Bearings all chewed up and marred it up real good. 2 new joints later, no rumbles. Hope this helps others.:woohoo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts