Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 envoy, and not all the time, but every so often I crank my engine, start off and I get a loud roar noise come front my front end, it last about a minute or less then goes away. It only does it when I first start the truck? What could this be? Any help would be great! I've tried to search, but wouldnt even begin to know what kind of problem I need to search for?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Fan clutch. Common, common problem with a lot of posts about changing them out. If it's 10-15 seconds, that's more normal. A minute or more is a clue that it's trying to die. If it dies and locks on, then the engine sounds like an F16 on afterburner all the time and it wastes fuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So ive been reading, and seems like i have to replace teh clutch like you said. Also thats what GM said, also said i needed a new compressor because it was causing the comp. to overheat? Either way im getting a fan clutch. Also, when i turn the A/C on, i get a almost grunting noise or grinding sound. Does it for one second, then goes aways, then 5 minutes later, does it again. It only happens when i turn the ac on though?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
So ive been reading, and seems like i have to replace teh clutch like you said. Also thats what GM said, also said i needed a new compressor because it was causing the comp. to overheat? Either way im getting a fan clutch. Also, when i turn the A/C on, i get a almost grunting noise or grinding sound. Does it for one second, then goes aways, then 5 minutes later, does it again. It only happens when i turn the ac on though?
Question asked and anwered. You may just need new bearings on the compressor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:worried::suicide:Hey WOOLUF, did you check out my clip of the sound it makes, if not you should check it out, it can give you a better understanding of what im talking about. Now im on three choices, new fan clutch, solves roaring noise, new bearings...might solve grinding noise in compressor, or new compressor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey WOOLUF, did you check out my clip of the sound it makes, if not you should check it out, it can give you a better understanding of what im talking about. Now im on three choices, new fan clutch, solves roaring noise, new bearings...might solve grinding noise in compressor, or new compressor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Loud belt noise.. now car wont start
My gf's car had a loud high pitched squeeling noise coming from the engine the other day. She said there were no lights on the dash. Sunday the car wasnt used at all and sat for the entire day. This morning she calls that it wont start.

Is it safe to say ITS NOT the alternator? She's having AAA come to jump it, but once its jumped and running if the battery light doesnt come on then it means the alternator is still good, right?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Loud belt noise.. now car wont start
My gf's car had a loud high pitched squeeling noise coming from the engine the other day. She said there were no lights on the dash. Sunday the car wasnt used at all and sat for the entire day. This morning she calls that it wont start.

Is it safe to say ITS NOT the alternator? She's having AAA come to jump it, but once its jumped and running if the battery light doesnt come on then it means the alternator is still good, right?
There are a hundred things it could be. You need a mechanic who knows electrical troubleshooting if you're asking this sort of question.

And again - you have hijacked a thread, this time about air induction noise, to ask about an unrelated issue. Please start a thread in the proper forum before hijacking one about other people's questions. It's impolite.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
449 Posts
Mine started the roaring a few weeks ago. It will typically roar for
anywhere from 2-5 mins before settling down. This is normally at startup.
Sometimes, its been sitting for hours, other times, the vehicle was
parked and off for 5-10 mins. (quick walgreens stop for example)
This is in 90+ degree weather with high humidity, if that matters
(Louisiana)

My question is, I have approx. 5K mileage left on Manuf. warranty.

From what I read previously, longer roaring is a sign of impending
parts failure. That being the case, what technical verbage should I
use to explain the problem to the dealer and what part should I ask
to have replaced?

I'm not an idiot, but I am ignorant about stuff like this. Presenting the
dealer with a technical description typically convinces them I'm not
the guy to screw over with the "Oh yeah, you need a replacement
Flange Capacitor, that'll be $600 bucks" kinda crap.

Sorry I'm not technical enough to relay my thoughts better than that.
I'm a PC tech. If an object doesnt fit on my desk, I dont have much
experience repairing it...:)

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2500 rpm

Fan clutch. Common, common problem with a lot of posts about changing them out. If it's 10-15 seconds, that's more normal. A minute or more is a clue that it's trying to die. If it dies and locks on, then the engine sounds like an F16 on afterburner all the time and it wastes fuel.
Rev'd the Envoy V8 up to 2500+ rpm's and the roar went away. Does this give a clue as to whats wrong with it? I am now on my 2nd fan clutch both installed at 2 different dealers. Your knowledge and info has been a big help.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If you don't rev it up, how long does it take for the fan RPM to come down and the roar to die down? What's the coolant gauge read when this happens?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts