Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My wife was driving our 2002 TB LTZ w/ 74Kmiles last week and the truck started making a wierd noise all of sudden. She had to pull over and when I went to help her I noticed the truck lost reverse and when I tried driving it home since it still had 1st gear I heard a wierd grinding noise and would not go into second gear. What do you think broke and what would it cost to fix it? Funny thing is I just bought a extended warranty 15 days ago but it doesn't kick in till 30 days and 1,000 miles and we've only gone 500 so I've biting the bullet on this fix.

Thanks for any advice I can use when I bring it to the dealer to have repaired.

Billy

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
303 Posts
I'm guessing since you drove it, after you lost reverse, the whole thing is trash. Others, with more know of transmissions, may have something other than that to say.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Can you park it and wait on grace period?
doesn't kick in till "30 days and 1,000 miles", Tough luck.
Cost, find a used tranny in a yard and replace it. Around 500-1000.
If you take it to the dealer to get it fixed I hope you have deep pockets. Speaking of the dealer, if you bought it from him he might stand behind the repairs, do not hold your breath, but just maybe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses. Yes, it is tough luck:bonk:. I bought the truck from a corner dealership which I wouldn't trust him to even do my brakes let alone the transmission. I'm going to drive it down to my local GM dealership which I'm willing to spend $2K on it since it's needed for my wife and kids. I've heard of others here having the same issues(Sun Shell exploding) but was really curious on what causes this to happen. Can I buy a new transmission for about the $2.5K and not even have to worry about future problems since it should be covered under warranty? I'm also thinking about canceling my extended warranty since i have 30 days to due it so the money i'll be getting back it just going to pay for this fix.

thanks again

Billy

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
first things first, welcome from a fellow jersey boy...search for our jersey boy thread, itll help keep yu up to date with us in the garden state

more importantly...

i had this exact same issue belive it or not, however this was how my gear box was
P-park (thank god)
R- drive
N- Drive
D- drive (no changing issues)
3, 2, 1 all worked properly

now onto how it happened...

wat i think caused it was on a hard acceleration, wot actually, my buddy decided to slap theselector into N when i was at about 2750rpms:duh:...once that happened it was all down hill from there-in our trucks yu can switch from N-D nd from D-N without touchin the brake, itll slide right in...maybe the kids did this on accident or she moved her purse over nd tapped it in? it might not be the same for you but this is how my issue occured :m2:

reguardless good luck with it...oh nd with my extended warranty it was covered btw :yes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Now I wouldnt normally recommend this, but to save 2K I think it may be worth it. Jack the truck up and put it on blocks so all four wheels are off the ground. Put it in 3rd and set the cruise at 30 MPH. Let is run for 500 miles and then park it for the 15 days you have to wait till the warranty kicks in. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE TRY TO FIND SOME WAY TO CHAIN THE VEHICLE DOWN FOR SAFETY SAKE!!!

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
Now I wouldnt normally recommend this, but to save 2K I think it may be worth it. Jack the truck up and put it on blocks so all four wheels are off the ground. Put it in 3rd and set the cruise at 30 MPH. Let is run for 500 miles and then park it for the 15 days you have to wait till the warranty kicks in. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE TRY TO FIND SOME WAY TO CHAIN THE VEHICLE DOWN FOR SAFETY SAKE!!!
Why would you not normally recommend this genius?:D I say do it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Why would you not normally recommend this genius?:D I say do it.
Not sure if that was meant as a joke or being serious, but the reason I wouldn't recommend it normally is because there is always a risk of something vibrating and causing the truck to fall off the blocks and now you have a run-away TB doing 30 MPH! (Also why I said to chain the truck down) :thumbsup:

It is the same concept as what they portrayed in Feris Buelers Day Off, except that you can't roll an odometer back by running a vehicle in reverse. :crackup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice but I already drove it down to the dealership today but I did notice something i didn't before. While driving there the truck was able to shift into 2nd but it did start making a wierd noise but stayed in 2nd while doing it then shifted down to 1st when pulling into the parking lot. I'll see what the dealership tells me tomorrow and bite the bullet on the cost. I'm hoping it's not that bad since it thought i lost everything but 1st.

thanks again and if i did think about putting the truck on blocks and letting it run but wasn't ready for more damage if it was to occur.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got the call from the Dealership I dropped the truck off to and they want $2900 + tax for a remanufactured replacement transmission. They said it would cost less since they don't know what is wrong with the current one and if they open her up it may get more expensive. They also said that the transmission pump is bad but if that was the case wouldn't it make a horrible noise the entire time the truck is on which it's not. I'm getting some prices from a few places and we'll hopefully get this fixed for less.

PS> I'm getting my $2300 back from the extended warranty so that will pay for this.

PSS> What is the normal time it takes to replace a transmission in our truck? He told me 9 hours at $95 hr which I'm believing him but was just curious.

thanks all for the replies.

Billy

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
Damn, I feel for ya Bob. Just went through my tranny this year at about 155K miles. Cost me about $2,300 OTD. I went to an independent tranny guy and I'd say it took about 3-4 days total including time for the parts. But I'd rather drop 2G's once a year over a monthly payment! Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
If that did not include the Torque Converter then GET ONE!!!!!! Money ahead for the future.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Well I got the call from the Dealership I dropped the truck off to and they want $2900 + tax for a remanufactured replacement transmission. They said it would cost less since they don't know what is wrong with the current one and if they open her up it may get more expensive. They also said that the transmission pump is bad but if that was the case wouldn't it make a horrible noise the entire time the truck is on which it's not. I'm getting some prices from a few places and we'll hopefully get this fixed for less.

PS> I'm getting my $2300 back from the extended warranty so that will pay for this.

PSS> What is the normal time it takes to replace a transmission in our truck? He told me 9 hours at $95 hr which I'm believing him but was just curious.

thanks all for the replies.

Billy
The cost for a rebuild will probably be close the same as the SRTA because of the extra labor cost to rebuild. What causes the sunshell problem is the metal is too soft if I remember correctly. AllData says 8.8 hours for replacement and they say 14.7 hours for a rebuild. I would go with the SRTA, it's the better deal. You get a transmission rebuilt by GM and a 3/36 warranty to go with it (that can be used at any GM dealer). If the pump is truely bad (meaning it doesn't work at all), your truck wouldn't move at all because the transmission wouldn't work. They're probably just telling you something so you'll go with the SRTA, but if you really want to know what's wrong you'll have to pay for tear down which is a waste if you do go with the SRTA.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
Hmmmm. . . don't know if my guy was B.S.ing me, he said a rebuilt wasn't an option for me. At least that's what I recall him saying. :undecided I know he's an anal perfectionist like myself and he's been in the biz for about 100 years, so I trust he didn't do me wrong. Tranny's still holdin strong after a few thousand miles. As long as a bell housing doesn't fall off the shelf and crush him, I figure he'll stand behind his work.
And yes, that chunk o' change included a new torque converter.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
9 hours to remove and re-install a 4L60E is downright highway robbery!!! :weird: :weird:

I worked in my Dads shop (trans rebuilder- retired 2007) as a teen and in my early 20's (not that long ago - Im 29 now) and our experienced mechanic could pull a trans off a T360 in 45 minutes TOPS. Reinstalling is about the same, maybe a little longer to get the cooling lines lined up and torque converter on. Get more quotes. It'd be a lot nicer if you could buy the trans yourself and find a place to install it. Dealership is always going to be the most expensive option.

Just my $.02 :coffee

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
68 Posts
I had mine rebuilt from the somewhat local transmissions guys for about $2200. I put it in drive one day, engine wound up and a big bang. I also had a rear end off a 2004 installed cause when the trans finally did catch it ripped the old rear apart. More than a year later and the trans is still shifting good and the rear works fine.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
4 Posts
Sun Shell

Just for anyone looking at this thread in the future.....

I had the exact same issue with my envoy (No reverse, hung in first gear, heavy fluid whining noise on acceleration.) It was the sun shell that exploded. Apprently, it was a commong issue on the '02 but GM would not admit it. Ended up costing me about $1,800 to get it fixed. Stealership wanted almost 3k.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
No Reverse

P-park
R- drive
N- Drive
D- drive (no changing issues)
3, 2, 1 all worked properly

I was pulling a camper out of the mud - got it out, went to back up to pull the pickup out and I couldn't go in reverse. When driving down the highway it feels like it isn't shifting from first to second unless i let off the gas a little. While I am in park and idling the car will start to make a chugging noise and when I put it in park it will kind of lurch forward. Do I need a whole new tranny ? Also the fluid is black. No metal pieces in it. What are my chances of just trading the vehicle for a different one at a car dealership?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts