Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Recently got an 05 TB LT... enjoyed it for all of 2 months before having this rather concerning and perhaps catastrophic issue.
Car had been vibrating slightly going uphill (I Live in the western north carolina mountains), but no slipping etc - this problem came about perhaps 2 weeks ago and had only become slightly more noticeable... I was not overly concerned.
However, a few days ago when in a bit of a hurry and wanting to accelerate faster (not flooring it etc, merely not driving extremely slow as usual)... the car was driving fine, but I hopped on the highway and about halfway up a long dragging hill (not much flat around here) the car seemed as if it shifted to neutral. Tried to shift when I pulled over and the car did "shift" into park etc.. but would not go into drive or reverse/engage in any gear.
I assumed this was a transmission issue...
However, after turning the car off, cursing the day i bought the car, and trying to turn it back on - I heard what almost sounded like a dead battery. However, the starter doesn't sound "weak" or "dead"... though the engine does not turn over at all.
Got a tow home, charged the battery, and nothing changed. I see no bad connections to starter etc...
I presume the trans and no start/turn over issues are related - though I'd be less perplexed if the car started and simply would not engage.
I DID have issues with the shift linkage breaking, and I replaced it before any of these issues arose. I used a new bushing secured by a bolt drilled through the trans selector arm... I've not checked the condition of this - and now that I have considered it It will be the next thing I check. Perhaps the trans is not quite in gear correctly - though it would seem this is unlikely if not impossible given the way the trans selector works.
Any ideas on what to check next?
If its trashed, anyone need parts? Located in Asheville, NC... not giving up on it just yet, however!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your engine is not starting because the neutral safety switch isn't in the correct position. The shift linkage repair was done incorrectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your engine is not starting because the neutral safety switch isn't in the correct position. The shift linkage repair was done incorrectly.
The shifter will take it from park to drive etc. In Neutral it doesn't change anything.

The starter is engaging, but it sounds very weak and its not turning over the engine. It sounds like a weak battery, but after charging nothing changed. Would an electrical issue (bad ground?) also cause the transmission to shift into neutral on the highway? Is it possible the neutral safety switch is causing this issue? Was working fine for a few weeks after I fixed the linkage, perhaps something is now not aligned correctly?

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4.20 L
97 Posts
absolutely repair your grounds. all of them! especially if you suspect an electrical problem. neutral safety switch would prevent ignition but you may have a transmission problem. as in its still thinks its in gear and it is not. which points to the linkage, again. maybe it isnt squared up right or the length is off or its sloppy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
absolutely repair your grounds. all of them! especially if you suspect an electrical problem. neutral safety switch would prevent ignition but you may have a transmission problem. as in its still thinks its in gear and it is not. which points to the linkage, again. maybe it isnt squared up right or the length is off or its sloppy.
Here is a vid of the sound of trying to start - it is the same when the battery is 100% charged, no change when in neutral... I could try in drive to see if the safety switch kicks in - I'll be able to do this in the next day.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
474 Posts
That cranking don't sound correct at all, and I don't think you have a trans problem.
I think I'd start with checking for spark and fuel, then a compression test and go from there.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm.... that sounds like it's cranking over all 6 cylinders rather evenly but there's not enough cranking speed ---- the starter may be dragging too.

Try this --- turn on the headlights and see if the cranking speed goes down or stays the same.

Feel the battery cables after cranking to see if they are kinda hot - there really shouldn't be much if any heat from cranking.

This doesn't explain the transmission failure unless the voltage to fire the shift solenoids is so low - they won't move.

Kinda perplexed with this one since it shows as two distinct possibilities of problems.

1. Do the accessories work?
2. What does the vehicle's voltmeter report
a. when cranking​
b. when at rest, key on.​
<It's not always accurate - but it's someplace to start.>

.... but this is over the internet so things are kinda hard to diagnose ....

Good video though! Not long enough for popcorn, but still good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
pull your starter off. see what is going on. maybe its not disengaging. repair grounds. make sure the range selector linkage is tightened and nothing is broken. sounds like the starter is hung up or hooked up to way more than the flywheel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
transmission mounts or motor mounts or both are known to fail at high mileage also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmmmmmmm.... that sounds like it's cranking over all 6 cylinders rather evenly but there's not enough cranking speed ---- the starter may be dragging too.

Try this --- turn on the headlights and see if the cranking speed goes down or stays the same.

Feel the battery cables after cranking to see if they are kinda hot - there really shouldn't be much if any heat from cranking.

This doesn't explain the transmission failure unless the voltage to fire the shift solenoids is so low - they won't move.

Kinda perplexed with this one since it shows as two distinct possibilities of problems.

1. Do the accessories work?
2. What does the vehicle's voltmeter report
a. when cranking​
b. when at rest, key on.​
<It's not always accurate - but it's someplace to start.>

.... but this is over the internet so things are kinda hard to diagnose ....

Good video though! Not long enough for popcorn, but still good.
The Accessories work just fine - I charged the battery fully and it did not affect the sound of the starter.

Voltmeter was ~12.8, battery seems to hold a charge just fine.

The engine itself isn't turning over - the pulleys etc arent going anywhere when its making this starting sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pull your starter off. see what is going on. maybe its not disengaging. repair grounds. make sure the range selector linkage is tightened and nothing is broken. sounds like the starter is hung up or hooked up to way more than the flywheel.
Selector linkage is all good, feels solid and positively locks into each position.

"hung up or hooked up to way more than the flywheel."
This seems more likely as I am not finding electrical problems, though I've only been able to verify tight connections/nothing obviously dangling... and no liquids spilled (or holes in the block for that matter - been there on a 99 altima...)... could easily be missing something though.

Perhaps the starter engaged while on the highway? I was able to rev while I got over to the shoulder... was pretty pissed off, should have paid more attention to how it ran when I got to the side of the road but honestly I don't remember... but this starter sound/problems "started" when I tried to restart a few minutes later... I"d be curious to see if the sound changed if i tried to start the car while it was rolling.

I'm moving now, this is complicating the matter as I had the TB towed to the new house and can't really get under it etc... will be able to diagnose after the first.

·
Registered
97 Posts
everything should be turning over. it would appear that your flywheel is no longer connected to the crankshaft.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
everything should be turning over. it would appear that your flywheel is no longer connected to the crankshaft.
I think you are correct.

This vid has almost the exact same sound I was hearing:

I thought it was the exhaust rattling... it sounded very similar and changed when in drive/reverse etc. This perfectly explains everything.

Hopefully no additional damage was done when the flex plate was broken and rolled around a bit for towing/parking on driveway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
you can hear the broken plate in that video. that rattle. hope the crank isnt broken.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
It may have damaged the pump bushing, the front seal or the pump drive

Now's the time to pull the front off the pump and look inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had exactly the same issue with mine what I found out it was a combination of the neutral safety switch any solenoid in the steering column that disengages your key. I also had a shift linkage bushing go and I replaced it with a OEM shift bushing and come to find out that the neutral safety switch does not work any longer what I did buy pass every single safety feature as I remove the starter relay and jumped the contacts with a switch on my dashboard that is now my starter switch and I had the bottom of the steering column taken out to access the little brass button to release the key ever since then I just kept the switch on there and the bottom of the steering column been good for 3 years now

·
Registered
97 Posts
i was able to pull an ignition switch out of an '03 monte carlo, carefully pry it apart, clean the springs and polished the contacts on the points, reassemble and then reinstall the switch. the previous owner had jumped the switch with a momentary on switch for the crank relay, but immediately after the sale, the security stopped recognizing the key. after the cleaning, the key and original switch worked without the bypass switch and the monte runs now. my buddy was pretty happy. made his monte carlo much more than a lawn ornament and it didn't take long. some tiny wire brushes, sand paper, electrical cleaner, and a few little screw drivers. the points are spring loaded though, so look out. i used isopropyl for cleaner since i used up my last splash diagnosing the switch. maybe worth a shot idk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts