Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 T/B 4.2L, 4x4
Wife and I were driving home last night (40 MPH) and out of nowhere all electrical power was lost, like I had just pulled the positive battery cable off.

I coasted to the side of the road and looked around a little, put it in Park and turned the key to the off position, then attempted to start it back up...........it started right back up, no codes were showing because of the shut down.

Anybody else ever have that happen and was it the result of anything that was ever found ?????????????

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
To re-cap, you had no headlights,tail lights, guages, engine died, no dash lights,nothing, zip-zero-nada..:undecided

I believe if the battery cable is not at fault you should still have a code stored somewhere.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't comment on the no headlights/tail lights because it was the middle of the day and I didn't get out to verify that. But I can say everything on the dash went into a no power mode, no gauges were operating, radio died, radar detector died, no turn signals. I double checked battery cables at both ends and there was no corrosion or tightness issues found. I'll try to get another scan again for codes.

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
Mine would lose all power when I would turn the engine off. Radio would die, lights would go out. It was like the vehicle was doing a complete reset. Turned out the battery was at its end. Within 2 months my battery totally died.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Happened to me before too, we replaced battery and it still happened. Turned out it was the alternator. Got it fixed free by the dealer.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
229 Posts
If the car is running you can actually disconnect the battery, as it is not in use. If you lose power while running then its the alternator, or other electrical problem, but start there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guy's, haven't had time to get back to this been out of town. If in fact my failure was caused by the Ign. Switch, wouldn't there be a code and a check engine light on ??????????? Did any of you experience a code or dash warning light on this when your switch failed ???????? I always assume that NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT equals NO CODES, am I wrong here ??????????

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well, there could be a code pending (which won't light the CEL), but chances
are the failed switch didn't generate any. The switch can fail without creating
any errors that the PCM can see. It's the same as turning the key off deliberately.

Glad you found the fix!

Cheers-

Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not really sure yet at this time if in fact it's the switch or not. Based on all the postings, it seems very probable. I was just going by probable cause based on input from others concerning the switch. It hasn't done it again since the first post I made and for all I know it may never do it again (doubtful but still hopeful). I'm just trying to understand to the best of my ability the actual cause of the initial power loss and how it relates to codes (if any). Thanks for everyones help............:tiphat

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ah...sorry. I should know better than to reply before the second cup of coffee...
For some reason I glossed over the "If" part of your reply.

The culprit is still most likely that switch. Most anything else that would
cause a shut down of the vehicle at speed *would* generate a code, except
perhaps the fuel pump, but that wouldn't account for the electrical shut down
of your instrument panel. If the fp had gone, you'd still see power.

Wouldn't hurt to have the battery load tested and check the alt. output while you're
at it. How old is the battery?

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Premium Member
2006 chevy
298 Posts
If it were the ignition switch, you would not get a code because the vehicle is just sensing that the switch turned off the vehicle like normal. That is what that switch does so I would get it checked right away as I agree with Roadie and others that this is very common for the ign switch to fail. just my :m2:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah...sorry. I should know better than to reply before the second cup of coffee...
For some reason I glossed over the "If" part of your reply.

The culprit is still most likely that switch. Most anything else that would
cause a shut down of the vehicle at speed *would* generate a code, except
perhaps the fuel pump, but that wouldn't account for the electrical shut down
of your instrument panel. If the fp had gone, you'd still see power.

Wouldn't hurt to have the battery load tested and check the alt. output while you're
at it. How old is the battery?

Good Luck!

Chris
Chris,

I have a digital load tester and the battery checked good (Optima, 1 year old), at the same time I checked the Alt output it's fine too.

What your saying all makes sense. If I had to place a bet, I'd bet on the switch too based on everything I've read and all the input from others.
:thx

I'll get a switch on order and play it safe..........

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got that switch changed out yet? ;) :dielaugh: :crackup:

I carry a spare in the console, but (if you click my build thread link) I'm a bit nutty about spares. :weird:
Roadie,

Funny guy............:dielaugh::dielaugh::dielaugh:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Thanks all! I've got less than 300 miles on my GM Certified Used bumper to bumper and will be sure to bring this in for what I believe is the ignition switch. About a month ago, I pulled out of the gas station by my house after filling up and went to turn on my radio but had no clock. Then I looked at my GPS and satellite radio and nothing. Once I noticed my gauges were out, I said F this and turned right around. On my way down my street everything came back on. I was going to bring it in for warranty but brushed it off and didn't have the problem since. But since you guys already troubleshot the issue, I can schedule a date this week t have the ignition switch changed out.

Thanks again and Kudo's to this Site! My B to B warranty will be up by month end and the repairs will be out of pocket. It's nice to have a site where we can all share our concerns. I'll be sure to do the same at my end! Hopefully not too soon! Love the Trailblazer! 47k+ miles and is in showroom condition. I hope to keep it that way for another 100k miles. :thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the car is running you can actually disconnect the battery, as it is not in use. If you lose power while running then its the alternator, or other electrical problem, but start there.
No you can't. Alternators and modern car electronic require the power from the battery. The alternator requires power from the battery to excite the magnetic field that it uses to create voltage. Very old cars with generators used a permanent magnet and would run without the battery connected. All electrical power in a modern vehicle comes from the battery and the alternator is a battery charger/maintainer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts