Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have this problem I think. It is winter now, so I have started to use my four wheel drive. Last year the system seemed tohave an issue that it would engage 4x4 on its own in parking lots and slowing to stop signs. I read that you could pull the fuse and reset the system, so I did, and not had any problems untill now. a few weeks ago we got our first snow. I put the system to use by putting it in a4wd. I slowed myself down a little because something did not feel right. Thats when the rear end slipped and I fishtaled off the road and hit a big rock. A little cosmetic damage, but everything APPEARS to be fine. Now I find that when I drive at a low speed (20-40) not only does the 4wd engage on its own (sometimes but rare) but now as I am driving and BARELY turn the wheel to the left (only) the rear end wants to meet the front end, and I start to slide. The 4wd light is not and does not come on during this feeling, so I'm not sure if it is the 4wd. But if I am slower then 25 or faster then 40 theres no problems, so I don't think its the frame bent or tierod etc. ANY IDEAS???? PLEASE HELP! :suicide:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
First of all, do not use the A4WD mode, it will cause exactly this reaction when it engages. Use 4WD mode when you need 4x4 traction.

Also, very important, the transfer case fluid must be changed every 50K miles or else the internal clutches could fail prematurely.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I do know what you are saying about the a4wd engaging..... but this feeling happens in 2wd as well, so I can't 100% blame the "kicking in" of the a4wd. I have not done the fluid, maybe stupid me, but when I bought this truck last year I bought it from a chevy mechanic who SAYS the 4wd system was just serviced all around and this was less then 20,000 miles. But I will check into that part. I'm just not sure why the 4wd turns on and off on its own. I will be driving in a parking lot and will feel and hear the 4wd turn on. Is it possible that 2wd is 3wd and the drivers side tire is the only one not engadged making the truck pull to the left when the tire turns to the left pushing the rear? IDK. I'm not great with new vehicle repairs, all the computers and all now. I'm a O.K. DIY. any info is great and great minds are very helpful. I know not seeing, hearing or really knowing whats going on is hard to get a perfect answer, but I do hope to fix this issue. I will check all the fluids on this matter and hope it's that easy and cheap. Thank you Again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts