Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've lurked these forums a little while, but finally joined in hopes of fixing the troubles that ale me!

I've got a 2004 Trailblazer LT (4.2 v6, 4x4) I just bought about 45 days ago. I've had the same battery draining issue that multiple other TB owners have had: try to start in the morning, clock is reset, slow crank to start, occasionally dead battery that needs jumped.

I thought it might be the ignition switch issue that many others have had, but think I've tracked my issue down to an odd source, so I thought it might help to get some input.

I've noticed that once I finish driving, if I turn down my dash illumination/interior lights knob (right next to dome light kill switch), then there will be no clock reset and a quick start when I try to drive again! I've also noticed that sometimes when driving at night, the drivers side front window switches aren't illuminated completely, then they will eventually get full luminance to the light inside the switch. :confused:

So...I wanted to get some input from the forum. Whats everyone's opinion on where to start? Should I start with the ignition switch (which according to carfax :coffee hasn't been changed), the dash illumination knob or the drivers side window switch to track down and end this parasitic battery draw?

All input is highly appreciated! :tiphat

-Andrew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, this weekend disproved my theory. Hopped in the truck on Sunday (after truck sat on Saturday) and the engine was slow to start and the clock radio was reset.

It appears the dash illumination switch turned down only slows the problem, but doesn't stop it.

Anybody???

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
57 Posts
You could try pulling fuses for all "unnecessary" items, then see if you still have the problem, Then, plug one fuse back in each night until the condition happens. You then know what circuit is the likely cause.

It could be a relay in the box under the hood going bad.

Are you sure that the battery is 100% and not having a cell go bad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try pulling fuses for all "unnecessary" items, then see if you still have the problem, Then, plug one fuse back in each night until the condition happens. You then know what circuit is the likely cause.

It could be a relay in the box under the hood going bad.

Are you sure that the battery is 100% and not having a cell go bad?
Thanks for your input!

Well, when I had the battery tested a couple weeks ago at AZ, the guy said "your battery is good, showing 80%"

So, no it was not at 100%. Over the years I've had false AZ readings on a number of things. Pulled the battery out and saw that it was 4 years old, so I broke down and bought a battery this weekend. I haven't had time to try narrowing down the fuses. Hoping the battery fixes things. I'll report back in a few days with the status.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have rear heater?
I bought the truck two months ago and haven't climbed around in the back much, so to be honest I'm not entirely sure on rear heat. I know I've got controls for audio in the rear, but I don't think I have rear heat controls.

I'll have to check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts