Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went to open my lift gate and the handle seemed to 'slip' a bit and I lost my grip. When I pulled it again, the right side of the handle extended further out from the body than the left did. And when I let go, it stays there unless I push it back into place.

I opened it up and pulled the inside panel to see if anything looked obviously out of place or broken, but no dice. Here's a couple of pics I snapped on my lunch break. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
541 Posts
I always felt the handle seemed a little weak. When I open my gate, I use my free hand to lift the gate from its bottom as I hold the handle open. Its a drag but I think it is best in the longrun because plastic just gets weaker with age.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always felt the handle seemed a little weak. When I open my gate, I use my free hand to lift the gate from its bottom as I hold the handle open. Its a drag but I think it is best in the longrun because plastic just gets weaker with age.
Most of the time when I'm opening it, it's because I've got one arm loaded with groceries. It had been fine for the past year I've owned the truck, until around Monday. I'll be mad if I find out somebody was messing with it :mad:

Looks to me your pin slid. The silver pin in the center of the second pic.
I thought that too, and tried to reach in there but it didn't budge. Didn't want to have to take out that pocket to fix it, but looks like I'll have to, to get a better look.:duh:

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took me a minute to figure out how to disconnect the bellcrank rod before popping out the license plate pocket, but once that was done, working the pin back into place was nice and easy. The liftgate handle feels nice and solid like it did before, so all is right with the world (for now):)

·
Premium Member
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,572 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!:thumbsup:
Is there supposed to be something on the end of the rod to keep it from sliding?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you got it fixed!:thumbsup:
Is there supposed to be something on the end of the rod to keep it from sliding?
I think there was, that's the first thing I checked for. There aren't any threads on it for a nut, but the pin appears to be hollow. On the 'free' end, it appears to be bulged out a bit, like a metal slug was forced into it to expand the pin outside of the handle, and prevent it from sliding. So I guess whatever force was pulling the pin, also caused the handle's plastic to expand enough for it to slip out. :weird:

On the bright side, now half the job of wiring up a rear view camera will be much easier this summer, since I'll already know how to handle the lift gate disassembly :D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
This problem just happened to me on my 02 Envoy. Searched this site and found your pics and fix. I too found that the pin holding the handle had backed out. All is fixed now. Thanks!

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This problem just happened to me on my 02 Envoy. Searched this site and found your pics and fix. I too found that the pin holding the handle had backed out. All is fixed now. Thanks!
Hey neighbor! (sort of) Glad you got yours fixed too. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts