Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help... as usual. Last night, pulling into the driveway I noticed a squeaking sound that I had thought earlier to be brake chatter was coming from under my hood. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the pulley that my fan clutch is mounted on is loose. I can wiggle it perpindicular to the motor and belt (can pull it out on its left and right sides) about 1/8". Now my fan clutch has needed replacing for some time now, so my question is this: is it just the pulley that is loose, or are there some bearings behind it that may have worn out? what exactly IS behind that pulley with the 4 bolts? Please, someone tell me its just loose bolts and not some crazy expensive impossible to reach without pulling the motor burned out bearing that I don't have the time or money really to replace... I was thinking that the water pump was behind there, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
The water pump is behind the fan pulley. Sounds like the bolts from the pulley to the pump are loose (I recall reading somewhere that when someone changed out their water pump, the bolts were only finger tight). I would image if the pump bearings were that bad, it would have self destructed along time ago.

Remove the belt and try and tighten them up. I believe it is a 13mm hex head.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You are right. The fan clutch attaches to the water pump. I would bet money the water pump bearings are shot which is not uncommon. Since you know the clutch needs replaced you can do both at the same time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try tightening them this evening. Hopefully that is the problem, and it will buy me some time. If not... jeez. At least it's right there where I can reach it with only minimal PITB.:worried:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
when the water pumps shaft/bearings fail...
the fan/clutch will wobble when its spinning.
eventually the water pump will begin to leak coolant.
but you also dont want to have the fan wobble itself to destruction.
If it is wobbling already- look around carefully-- as there will be plastic/rubber shavings from the serpentine belt rubbing on the adjacent pulley.. and rubbing off the sides of the belt.

since you have a 2003... (and probably in the 70,000 range and up)...
this may be a blessing in disguise.
Since you will most likely be replacing the water pump....
you will also want to replace the fan clutch.
replace the thermostat
replace the coolant.
and possibly replace the upper and lower radiator hoses.

the hoses are about $30 each. the thermostat about $30.
coolant about $20.

may as well get this work out of the way- since the coolant will have to be drained to replace the pump.
to replace the pump you have to remove the fan clutch.

since the engine will be low on coolant--- may as well remove the hoses--
since the hoses will be removed- may as well undo the thermostat...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This post is old, but I'm updating it just for future searchers. Turned out to be the water pump. It had not destroyed itself yet, but it was definitely bad. O'Reilly has the part with a lifetime warranty... not that I want to do THAT particular repair again anytime soon. Wish I had changed that thermostat now...:hopeless

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
31 Posts
You are right. The fan clutch attaches to the water pump. I would bet money the water pump bearings are shot which is not uncommon. Since you know the clutch needs replaced you can do both at the same time.

Yeah sounds easy!!! look forward to spend about $200.00 on the clutch and another 50 on the water pump plus core charge. then also think about replacing the lower rad hose and also the thermostat! thats another 30.... i had the same problem with the water pump on my original engine the fan fan clutch and the pully all moved and the water pump did not. the bolts for the water pump were tight to specs just the bearings went out! but my bet is bad bearings in the water pump! the one that we have on the tbs are easy! 15 mins and its out and the new one is in!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
31 Posts
This post is old, but I'm updating it just for future searchers. Turned out to be the water pump. It had not destroyed itself yet, but it was definitely bad. O'Reilly has the part with a lifetime warranty... not that I want to do THAT particular repair again anytime soon. Wish I had changed that thermostat now...:hopeless
atleast you know where to buy your parts! Oreilly is my store! my installer account is K glover mobile have your store load it and use it when you need parts!

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
atleast you know where to buy your parts! Oreilly is my store! my installer account is K glover mobile have your store load it and use it when you need parts!
Very cool Gesture! That def gives you the "Good Guy" Badge of honor!:thumbsup:

Now if only there was some guy around me that could line me up with some local wholesale parts!:undecided Hint hint JEFF! :D

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts

Mine was replaced a few months back also. A bit over 84,000. :cool:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
15 Posts
Hey guys, I need some help... as usual. Last night, pulling into the driveway I noticed a squeaking sound that I had thought earlier to be brake chatter was coming from under my hood. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the pulley that my fan clutch is mounted on is loose. I can wiggle it perpindicular to the motor and belt (can pull it out on its left and right sides) about 1/8". Now my fan clutch has needed replacing for some time now, so my question is this: is it just the pulley that is loose, or are there some bearings behind it that may have worn out? what exactly IS behind that pulley with the 4 bolts? Please, someone tell me its just loose bolts and not some crazy expensive impossible to reach without pulling the motor burned out bearing that I don't have the time or money really to replace... I was thinking that the water pump was behind there, but I'm not sure.
I think I am having the same issue, 96,000 miles. Not leaking yet, but the fan assy. moves side to side about 1/8". No overheating isues. Guess its time to hit the parts house and get it replaced. :mad:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Replaced my water pump/fan clutch at 100k and now it's leaking coolant and I'm going to have to replace water pump/fan clutch again at 140k. Mechanic must have put in a cheaper pump. Pays to go with the good stuff.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
990 Posts
Bite the bullet and order the Delco one off rockauto.com for $79 . It will last a lot longer .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.