Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the forums. I do not have an SS yet but I am looking into buying one. I have been doing my research for the last several months.

I just wanted to know how this SUV handles in winter weather being as though I am in the Delaware/Philadelphia area. With all that torque I wouldn't want to be sitting there spinning wheels in the snow. With that said I am looking at getting the AWD version.

Also would the TB SS be considered a gas guzzler? I am guessing with the LT1 engine that it would be but I figured I'd ask some owners rather than the salesman who only wants to push the vehicle off the lot and would say anything to get me to buy it. I live in Delaware and commute to Philly for work which is about a little over a 30 mile commute each way. If I get the SS, I don't plan on driving it everyday to and from Philly. Just thought I'd ask how it does highway driving mileage.

I was also told that there are 2 engines available for the SS. One is not as powerful as the other. I have not been able to find anything online to back that up. It seems like the 1SS and 3SS both have the same engines but I could be wrong. I think the person that told me that was comparing an SS with a LT or LS or something which obviously have different engines.

My other car is an import with HID headlights. I know the SS does not have those kind of lights but are there DOT approved aftermarket kits you can replace the stock headlights with the HID kind?

Thanks in advance.
Chuck

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Ok... who are you and do I know you?? LMAO.... I live in DE and commute to Aston everyday....I use to drive my SS till I got a beater.

Now on to your questions....

The SS has a LS2 motor not a LT1. Stock I averaged about 15 MPG. This was mixed Highway and city. I now have a tune and can get as high as 19.5MPG during highway road trips and I average a touch over 16.5mpg mixed driving.

I have had no issues at all with the winters around here. The one time I did have a problem my stock tires were done for. Since the new rubber was put on, again no problems at all.

The SS only has one engine... LS2 395 HP.

You can get them in either 2wd or Fulltime AWD.

There are no DOT HID healights for these vehicle. I am running HID Low beams and fog lights and have had no issues with the cops or with people flashing at me.

Hope this answers your questions and most of all Welcome to Trailvoy!!

Hope to see you around.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat There are two V-8 engines. The SS only comes with the 6.0. And the SS is the only TB that the 6.0 is available in. Th mileage is not great in any of the TV's. And there are a lot of TV'ers who have after market HID's.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
Welcome to the site.:tiphat
My average/best are 14.1/17.1
Even with krapola tread, no issues in snow. The only time I've been stuck was in my own driveway. The snow was deeper than my ground clearance.:duh:
I don't have HIDs yet, but will be getting some soon.:thumbsup: To avoid any legal entanglements, I will not go higher than 6K.:m2:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Welcome to the site!! Could not answer your question is because I don't have an SS.....would like to have one!!LOL

·
Registered
2008 chevy
43 Posts
I don't find gas mileage to be that bad but if you run her hard and you will, that little orange needle moves faster. I have the awd and it seems pretty good in light snow. You can get these things sideways even on wet ground though. Just go test drive one and before you get back to the dealer you'll be asking when can I pick it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts