·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Items used:

• 5mm blue 1600mcd, 90 degree viewing angle, straw hat LEDs
  • 470 ohm 1/4W resistors

I didn't find a write up on this particular setup, so figured I'd put one out there in case anyone with a long wheel base truck needs a reference. The rear unit pops out without much effort or tools. The white cover on back is held on by clips.

A closer look at the backside of the circuit board, you can see there are 2 bulbs screwed in, in housings similar to the ones found in the DDM and PDM, but a bit larger.

In order to get access to the front side of the circuit board, the 3 knobs on the front have to be pulled off. I used a thin flathead screwdriver on mine, and left small scratches on the surface of the unit. Thankfully they are covered up when the knobs are put back in. After pulling the knobs off, use a 10mm socket to remove the nuts that hold the inner switches to the front panel.

Now we can see the switches and front side of the circuit board where the lights are mounted. I was a bit surprised that only 2 bulbs were used to light up the whole display, but there is a generous amount of room between the circuit board and the front of the panel so the light can spread nicely.

I considered reusing the light bulb housings but after a closer look, the leads for the bulbs are soldered onto a clip-like structure that wraps around the sides of the bulb sockets to make contact with the board. So I opted to solder the LEDs directly to the contacts instead. The + leads are marked with a red dot.

I couldn't decide right away how many LEDs I wanted to put in there since there's so much room. In the end, I decided to go with just 2, having 1 in each original place. If I want to add more later, it wouldn't be difficult. I set them back a bit, so they are almost flush with the circuit board and not "raised" like the stock ones are to allow for as much light spread as possible and no hot spots.

Test fit without the knobs first.

Added the knobs, was a bit disappointed that the indicator lines on the knobs didn't catch enough light to illuminate, so there may be the addition of 3 LEDs to this setup in the future.

After successful tests, put everything back together, and see how it looks in the truck.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Slowly making my way to the dash area. I was gonna tackle the headlight switch actually. Got it taken apart, fiddled with it for a few minutes and put it all back. :duh: Not enough patience for all that. :no:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Very nice I can't wait to get the rest of mine done. I sent my buddy a message just waiting on his reply so when I finally get paid (By the way I got a new job :D) I'll have him do the rest of the my lights.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks real NiCE....I'll trade you some detailing work for some interior LED installation ;)
:undecided Hmm, you might have yourself a deal there sir! Hopefully the front components go just as smoothly when I get around to them.

Very nice I can't wait to get the rest of mine done. I sent my buddy a message just waiting on his reply so when I finally get paid (By the way I got a new job :D) I'll have him do the rest of the my lights.
Congratulations David, that's awesome news!! Now that means you can afford to do your own lights, and then buy replacement parts if you destroy them in the process!! :dielaugh: For real though, it gets easier with each time you do it. Jimmy's lil tutorial while he was fixing your clockspring has made my soldering mods go much smoother than before. :yes:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Congratulations David, that's awesome news!! Now that means you can afford to do your own lights, and then buy replacement parts if you destroy them in the process!! :dielaugh: For real though, it gets easier with each time you do it. Jimmy's lil tutorial while he was fixing your clockspring has made my soldering mods go much smoother than before. :yes:
HAHAHA it'll still be easier to take it to my buddy, this way theres no messing up for me :D besides all that money going into replacement parts could be buying speakers he can hook me up with :D.

I might practice on something that doesn't evolve the car. Maybe an XBOX 360 controller I have 6 of them.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
167 Posts
looks sweet carl :thumbsup: to bad all most all my stuff it digital thow. even my rear ac controles are digital. thats what sucks about this ltz. lots of components and things that are digital. also y i cant just get any after market radio put in. it needs to be able to have onstar door chime and controle the rear raido.:suicide: oh wel ill find something some day.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks sweet carl :thumbsup: to bad all most all my stuff it digital thow. even my rear ac controles are digital. thats what sucks about this ltz. lots of components and things that are digital. also y i cant just get any after market radio put in. it needs to be able to have onstar door chime and controle the rear raido.:suicide: oh wel ill find something some day.
Thanks Bryant, you can get in on the action too. There are some write ups out there for modding the auto climate controls, I did this one, since I didn't see one out there for this unit for the EXTs and XLs.

As for the radio issue, you can go aftermarket, just need one of those pricey adapters to keep all the features. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
The LEDs are looking good! Once your done with your leds do you want to mine too...I am electrically handicap with this sort of mods...lol...just looking at the pics and taking the dash apart.......scares me to death....wife would kill me if I #[email protected] up the Envoy.....would never hear the end of it!!

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The LEDs are looking good! Once your done with your leds do you want to mine too...I am electrically handicap with this sort of mods...lol...just looking at the pics and taking the dash apart.......scares me to death....wife would kill me if I #[email protected] up the Envoy.....would never hear the end of it!!
:laugh: Start small, that's what I did. PDM had no lights when I bought it, so that's what I did first. Really the hardest part is planning out where you want wires, leads, and resistors laid out so they fit right, and you can put everything back together. With the rear HVAC, there was a ton of space, so that made it easy.

Now I've got to start on the items in the dash. I'm a lil hesitant too. Read the horror stories of people breaking the front HVAC. :worried:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts