Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will someone explain what the difference between long tube and regular headers are?

·
Registered
2007 chevy
17 Posts
Just a guess here, but maybe LT Headers are those Without Cats. Whereas regular Headers have the room for Cats??

Like I said........Just a guess.:D :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a guess here, but maybe LT Headers are those Without Cats. Whereas regular Headers have the room for Cats??

Like I said........Just a guess.:D :D
haha ok thanks.. i know its a dumb question, but i guess I'm not too smart when it comes to this kinda stuff.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
538 Posts
Short tube headers are generally about as long as the stock exhaust manifold and leave the cats in the original position.

Long tube headers have longer pirmary runs before the collector and therefore relocate the cats (optional) further back.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Exactly what Trailblazerss said...

LT = Free flowing air compaired to Stock headers, Each exhaust port has its own flowing port chamber all the way down to the collector, which the collectors are usually much wider and better flowing also.
Stock = Exhaust gases leave the port on the head and Instantly get crammed in with the other ports exhausts causing the flow to me much more restricted!
Guess that is the best way I can explain it (Technically) :crazy: :)

If anybody plans on making good bolt on power that is a must do!
More air in, More air out!
:D :thumbsup:

·
PCMForLess.com - Sponsor
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
877 Posts
A engines peak torque is tuned with the exhaust runner length. Usually the longer you can have the runners the better but not always.

What happens is you can take advantage of huge wave dynamics inside the exhaust. As one cylinder blows down (moment exhaust opens) it creates a wave before and after the exhaust mass. If you time it right the next cylinder can catch that wave and have a intermittent low pressure at the exhaust port.. This is a really cool thing since you can find volumetric efficiency as a function of exhaust pressure (instantaneous) and intake pressure. Basically higher intake pressure and lower exhaust pressure = more power.

There's also and advantage in residual mass in the cylinder. Basically at the end of your exhaust stroke and beginning of the intake stroke you have a mass of exhaust left over in the cylinder the volume of the clearance volume and the pressure at the exhaust port. That residual gas is bad stuff because it is inert, and hot. If you can create a low pressure during the exhaust stroke from another cylinder firing you can have less residual mass which means more room for fresh air/fuel charge. That's really where the extra VE comes from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts