Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to lift my Envoy hopefully in time for the TECORE. Here is my list, price and site. Please let me know what I am missing and approx work time with 2 people and good knowledge of auto's. Also any special tools I will need.

4 Tires, BFG Rugged Trails 759.80 installed, Franks Discount Tire in Columbia, SC
SMaxx 2.5'' front lift for 149.95
Smaxx Top Mount 3/4" Spacer 49.95
4 1.5'' wheel spacers 365 from wheeladapter.com
Skid Plate 155

Total 1479.70.....

Hopefully I can sell the tires I just put on 7,000 miles ago for around $500 so I am looking at 979.70

Will I need the wheel spacers is my only concern at this time as it will cut my cost to 614.70?

For the rear I am going to adjust the air ride sensors to give me a 3'' lift.

Anyone in the Columbia, SC wanting to help, I will provide the thirst quencher.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
The only thing that I can add is that the BDS lift is apparently stronger than the SMAXX, having something to do with the factory bushings around the strut rod (that BDS replaces with something stronger) not being up to snuff for off-roading...

Someone else could elaborate...

ETA: the "rugged trail T/A" is actually an "all season highway" tire (and from the ratings, not a very good one at that)... I'd go with an "all terrain" tire at the very least... BFG All Terrain, General Grabber AT (similar to BFG, but cheaper and get rated better), Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor, Firestone Destination AT, etc... Mud Terrain tires are much more durable, and resistant to puncture than even All Terrains, but are heavier and louder, but are MUCH more civil on the roads than previous generations were...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Rugged+Trail+T/A
Describing it as "light weight" and "OEM" is almost never a good sign for durability off road...

ETA: (again): If you're sticking with the 18" wheels, the Destination AT is probably going to be the most cost-effective in an AT tire (though I didn't check the General Grabber AT)

Mike

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For now BDS is out of the question because they won't sell just the front. For tires I am definitely looking at something different.

·
Registered
chevy
1,797 Posts
Contact Markmc, he makes his own lift kits. Better than SMaxx...

And cheaper...

:m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
So I am going to lift my Envoy hopefully in time for the TECORE. Here is my list, price and site. Please let me know what I am missing and approx work time with 2 people and good knowledge of auto's. Also any special tools I will need.

4 Tires, BFG Rugged Trails 759.80 installed, Franks Discount Tire in Columbia, SC
SMaxx 2.5'' front lift for 149.95
Smaxx Top Mount 3/4" Spacer 49.95
4 1.5'' wheel spacers 365 from wheeladapter.com
Skid Plate 155

Total 1479.70.....
You won't need both the 2.5" + the 3/4". The 2.5" kit includes the top mount spacer. So that's a savings of $50 for ya.

Hopefully I can sell the tires I just put on 7,000 miles ago for around $500 so I am looking at 979.70
Try selling on craigslist. I sold my stock street tires in 2 days.

Will I need the wheel spacers is my only concern at this time as it will cut my cost to 614.70?
It all depends on the size of tire you plan to get. You only need wheel spacers if you want to get a tire that is wider than ~265 and larger than ~30.5". However you should always do a test fitment to be sure.

For the rear I am going to adjust the air ride sensors to give me a 3''
This may work, although I haven't known anyone to actually off road with the air ride suspension pumped up. I'm not sure how smooth of a ride you will get, as I imagine the bags get pretty firm at that height.

The last question is regarding your rear differential. Do you have the G80 option? This isn't a deal breaker, but you should be prepared to attack certain challenges differently.

Last, do you mind possibly getting a few scratches?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You won't need both the 2.5" + the 3/4". The 2.5" kit includes the top mount spacer. So that's a savings of $50 for ya.
Sweet

Try selling on craigslist. I sold my stock street tires in 2 days.
Already done

It all depends on the size of tire you plan to get. You only need wheel spacers if you want to get a tire that is wider than ~265 and larger than ~30.5". However you should always do a test fitment to be sure.
I think I will get them, then go to the tire shop and test to see what the biggest I can get on is.

This may work, although I haven't known anyone to actually off road with the air ride suspension pumped up. I'm not sure how smooth of a ride you will get, as I imagine the bags get pretty firm at that height.
Any other ideas besides that one?

The last question is regarding your rear differential. Do you have the G80 option? This isn't a deal breaker, but you should be prepared to attack certain challenges differently.
Yes, What does that mean?

Last, do you mind possibly getting a few scratches?
It is about time to put scratches on this 4x4 :D plus I am at 80k miles so who cares? :rotfl:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Any other ideas besides that one?
You can replace the air ride in the rear with Z71 Springs... if you act quickly, you might be able to get a set from the guy on ebay that sells them all the time. Search is your friend with this one... there is a part # to search in descriptions for...
Yes, What does that mean?
Open your glove box, you will see a sticker in there with all the RPO codes your Voy came with... look for "G80"

The G80 is a differential locker, helps immensely when in slippery conditions, ie mud, ice, snow, etc...

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can replace the air ride in the rear with Z71 Springs... if you act quickly, you might be able to get a set from the guy on ebay that sells them all the time. Search is your friend with this one... there is a part # to search in descriptions for...
Hmm, so the springs alone will give me the lift?

Open your glove box, you will see a sticker in there with all the RPO codes your Voy came with... look for "G80"

The G80 is a differential locker, helps immensely when in slippery conditions, ie mud, ice, snow, etc...
Yes that is where I found the code and I also knew that is locked the rear end. I thought that would be a bonus in the trails?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
The Destination AT is a fantastic tire. I have those on my ZR2 Blazer. Best AT tire I ever used and I used all of them at one point

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
As I understand it, they are not compatible with air ride suspension.

Hmm, so the springs alone will give me the lift?
The springs have a higher spring rate. They will give ~1.5" of lift over stock springs, and also increase your payload capacity.

Yes that is where I found the code and I also knew that is locked the rear end. I thought that would be a bonus in the trails?
It is certainly a good thing. My comment was worded poorly. I meant that if you do not have the G80, you should be prepared to attack it differently. With the G80, you'll be golden.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
285 Posts
:iagree:It would be interesting to know if it would have ANY downward travel after being pushed up so far, and if it does, how much. Maybe an inch or so, I imagine they can't have too much travel.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:iagree:It would be interesting to know if it would have ANY downward travel after being pushed up so far, and if it does, how much. Maybe an inch or so, I imagine they can't have too much travel.
Another question is what is the max lift you can get with the bags fully aired up???? Say it is 4 to 6 inches and I only raise it 3, then there would still be some ok travel.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Another question is what is the max lift you can get with the bags fully aired up???? Say it is 4 to 6 inches and I only raise it 3, then there would still be some ok travel.
You'll have to test that yourself. Noone else in the off road section has done it that I know of.

Figure out where it sits as factory tuned. Then adjust the sensor a bit to achieve 1 inch, then two inches of lift. See how it performs and feels. That's the only way you will know how well it will perform.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I've got my Wheel Spacers ordered, Skid Plate and Front Lift. Still debating on what to do for the rear. For tire size I am thinking about 275/70/18 General Grabber AT 2, will give me a height just over 33". Any special tools need to put the front lift on?

·
3,700 Posts
There may be some metal trimming with 33" tires... Somebody like James or Bill will respond shortly, I'd imagine...

ETA: "285/70/17 (33") - needs spacers, new wheels, suspension and body lifts, cutting/hammering to fit"

Mike

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crap, I was hoping to get away with not having to do a body lift yet, really don't want to spend 400 on that.....but if I do a 3'' body also, what would be likely hood of getting 35'' shoes tucked under this baby?

·
3,700 Posts
Crap, I was hoping to get away with not having to do a body lift yet, really don't want to spend 400 on that.....but if I do a 3'' body also, what would be likely hood of getting 35'' shoes tucked under this baby?
I'm not sure the body lift works on the EXT, though there was some talk on it a while ago... Again, somebody else's dept. (Bill?, James?)

Also, I think the largest tires anybody's got on a 4x4 TV are 34"

Mike

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is a spring compress needed to put the front suspension on?

Also can not find any Z71 springs on ebay. What year do I need?

·
3,700 Posts
It also says that: "255/75/17 - needs spacers, upper ball joint mod, possible hammering to fit"

A 255/75/17 is a 32" tire... A 32" tire in an 18" wheel is 255/70-18

Mike

1 - 20 of 101 Posts