Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, don't know what they are called but when I open the back, the 2 "shocks" should hold the liftgate in the up position. Well just the other day they no longer hold the door up. The gate is just "dead weight".

What are those shocks called? And where do I find a good supplier to buy them from....

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
I got mine at the dealer...it wasn't too much(just needed one)...more then likely it's just one of them...:D. I'm sure you could find them on ebay too.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Those are the liftgate struts. Buy the ones from the dealer, aftermarket ones are usually way to strong or to weak.

·
Registered
217 Posts
yup, liftgate struts, $40 each from the dealer and they'll be set to lift the proper weight.

If you get generic ones and they're too soft they wont hold it up, and if they're too strong it'll take too much effort to close.

Part #s 15120902 and 15120903 for the SWB.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
254 Posts
I have an '06 EXT, and the GM book calls for a RH (15130344 - $33) and a LH (15130343 - $38) strut. I went to NAPA and they had one number (819-6165) that covered both for $32 each. I really don't know why GM has two different struts. The NAPA one seem to work as well as the old ones.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
234 Posts
I got theEbay ones and they look like good construction but after having them for a few months the casing is getting surface rust. Also it lifts the liftgate ok but you kinda have to give it a nudge when it gets to the top to open fully cuz its like the struts dont have quite enuff strength. Ok the first week....annoying after 3 months and only saving about $30 off OEM ones.

Get OEM.!!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
541 Posts
I just replaced my two with Strong Arm #4573 from Advance auto parts at around $27 each. I do not know if the old ones were oem or aftermarket. They were branded as Stabilus.

The Stong arm units seem a little firmer, will have to see how they hold up. They were very simple to replace. I held the lift gate up with my shoulder, used a small screwdriver to pry the metal bands off the upper and lower ball joint thing. Pressed new ones back in. The Strong Arm lower ball joint fitting seemed a little looser than the previous unit but does not appear that it will pop out.

My drivers side lift support was leaking oil for about a month. I dismissed it as just roof dirt runoff after some rainstorms. One day I touched it and noticed right away it was oily. A week later the lift gate would not stay open. I would not be surprised if I have been only running on just one good strut ever since I bought the truck about a year ago.

Advance does include a free life time warranty on this part. I think oem would be a better choice but time will tell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question here, I have a 2007 trail blazer. Rear door hard to open and won’t stay open. Slams shut and sounds like it latches or locks. Blazer is unlocked while this happened.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
73 Posts
One of mine is stuck and the other works. I cant open the back window. Just the back hatch

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
277 Posts
Question here, I have a 2007 trail blazer. Rear door hard to open and won’t stay open. Slams shut and sounds like it latches or locks. Blazer is unlocked while this happened.
Replace the struts . And , sounds like what is suppose to happen

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
277 Posts
One of mine is stuck and the other works. I cant open the back window. Just the back hatch
You don't want to open the window as it has been known to break , badly .
I've never opened just the window . Seems like a useless gesture , anyway .
Remember , just because you can , doesn't mean you should . ;)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
73 Posts
You don't want to open the window as it has been known to break , badly .
I've never opened just the window . Seems like a useless gesture , anyway .
Remember , just because you can , doesn't mean you should . ;)
Ive had my trailblazer for 7 years and have opened that window maybee 5 times ? Its kinda dumb to even have that. I always just open the back hatch. im not gonna fix the window strut I dont use it anyways. But if I ever have issues with the hatch struts ill order those

1 - 13 of 13 Posts