Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through the many lift gate problems in the forums and mine seems to be a little different than the rest. Everything functions normally, except when the lift gate is opened, the latch clicks like it is trying to lock about once per second. When closed the lift gate becomes locked even though the lock button was never pushed.

When I looked closer there appears to be just a little bit of corrosion on the latch mechanism. I think this means there is an obvious electrical problem with the wiring. Does anyone know specifically which wire would be bad? How do I check the wire? Would it be the ground? Any help would be appreciated as I think this would be a cheap fix if I did it on my own.

Thanks for any help!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Welcome. Very odd one!

It sounds a little bit like the liftgate module thinks it should be running the delayed lock function, but you haven't pressed the keyfob or the door lock button. Unless it's getting bad communication from another module, that's entirely localized in the liftgate module. The LGM fires the latch solenoid when it shouldn't even try.

With a dealer's tech tool, they can communicate directly to the LGM and confirm it's bad. Otherwise, you'd just have to wait until you see one on Ebay for less $$ than paying the dealer to diagnose it. Or find a buddy and swap.

Latches corrode for many reasons other than bad wiring, and you should probably just spray some WD40 around on the metal parts. There are switches in the latch mechanism that reports BACK to the LGM what state the latch is in, and these could be corroded and hanging up. Do you have a meter and want to poke about in there from the trunk as somebody closes the hatch from the outside?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts