Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2009 Trailblazer LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The liftgate on my 2009 trailblazer was getting extremely hard to open so I examined the mechanism and it was a little rusted so I shot some PB Blaster on it which did the trick for about 4 days and then the damn thing won't stay latched. If I hit a bump or pass a semi the lift gate will open enough to set off the open door alarm and turn on the interior lights. I can shut the lift gate, here the electronics showing it engaged but can then grab the bottom of the lift gate and open it without using the handle to disengage the latch.
I then opened the lift gate and manually pushed the latch closed and heard the electronic click showing the latch engaged but could then pull the latch open without using the handle.
I have the cover off the lift gate and have looked at the latch mechanism and the handle linkage but can't see what would cause this problem. One thing of note if it makes a difference, there is linkage that attaches in the latch mechanism area which controls the opening of the glass of the lift gate. It keeps turning so that when the button is depressed on the window it doesn't hit the linkage and open the glass. Not sure if it's related to my latch issue but thought I should mention it in case it jogs someone's memory.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
I open and close my liftgate many many times in a week and I can always hear the lock motor run --- but I know that if I don't close it well enough --- in spite of the latch motor running -- it still may not be closed.

So-o-o don't use the ears to decide that things are right when you hear that latching action --- it could still not be closed sufficiently.

Check to see if something has changed - dynamically - physically - accidentally in the door itself first --- then make further investigation(s) until you accidentally find the corrective answer.

Works for me!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am with jmykrantz on this one. My 07 does the exact same thing. I believe that listening is 100% necessary. In all of my tests, if I don't hear that lock engage, it is never latched correctly. I have never had it latch without the lock kicking in. Just my experience, for the past 2 d%$n weeks, lol.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
NOT hearing it run and it NOT latching is 180° different from hearing it and it doesn't latch.

Just hearing it run, doesn't mean it's working correctly --- it just means that it was told to do it's thing, and whatever happens, happened.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Uh, why not listen for both? They make two different sounds, so it's not hard to distinguish. Happy Trails!
Because --- they would set up two different logic trees.

One says: "I gotz electricities" and the other says nothing because it has no electricities.
Different-different.
Sound v No Sound.
See?

MY trails ARE happy 'cause I'm not chasing unicorns and zebras.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts