Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
Youre right. It could be the conductor within the wire jacket. The issue is how do I test for continuity. I don't know where the other end of the wire is. I'm not much for auto electrical other than battery, alternator, starter type stuff and I don't read electrical schematics. Even if I locate a bad wire how do I know there the break is so I can splice it? I was hoping for a few broken wires that I could easily solder together but looks like my issue is a little deeper. Oh well, I will have to spend some money on this one. To the shop it goes...:p

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The issue is how do I test for continuity.
Acquiring the training and experience for reading schematics could save you a bit of money. But for now, just use the old pin-through-the-insulation trick. Get two small needles or pins. Stick them through the insulation at either side of the flexing part of the wire. Check between the pins for continuity. The hole the pin leaves will self-heal, except for extremely wet places you should wrap over with tape after the test.

Or flex the wire. Ones with broken inner conductors will flex more limply than intact ones.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
I'm going to do that. Thanks for the great info. I will do anything to keep my truck away from the dealer (even with a warantee) stay tuned...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Repaired the wires and nothing!

I have the same problems with my 2003 Envoy. I found the Black, small orange broken and the two large orange insulation frayed, grounding out I am sure. I spliced all connections using environmental splices and tested continuity using the pin method across the splice. Continuity was good and nothing works. Has anyone had to replace the lift gate module after this repair? I still do not know where this is located in the vehicle. If this is replaced does it need to be programed? Can you find used ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The LGM is inside the liftgate. New, virgin ones have to be dealer-programmed at rip-off prices. Used ones can be found.

If you found frayed insulation and suspect a short to ground, then blown fuses are the natural conclusion. I don't have schematics with me at the moment, but check the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
169 Posts
The LGM is inside the liftgate. .
Ahhh, the files are INSIDE the computer! :undecided

Anyone try replacing the wires with a better type? maybe a thicker one with more strands to be flexible?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
4 Posts
Eureka it worked

Thanks to this forum I was able to diagnose and fix the problem with my key fob, delayed functions, and liftgate functions for free. I had a broken wire in rubber casing connected to the liftgate and the body of the truck. Woo hoo this has saved me well over 250 on repairs. I just dont get if this is something common why dont they recall it and have these wire swapped out.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
69 Posts
Our 2008 tb is acting up. All fuses are good, wires good, guess its dealer time! The wiper is the only problem.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
GoCartbuilder

I'm new to this site. I did not want to start a new thread about Trailblazer Envoy wiper problems so I am posting my problem here. Hope I am doing this correctly. Have a 2005 Trailblazer. Have read most of the threads and have not seen anything like my problem. My rear wiper will only work after having closed the rear hatch. Let me explain further. Upon closing the rear hatch the wiper will work in all speed positions. I can randomly change speed positions at will. (Unless I turn it off, then it will not come back on) If I momentarily turn it-off-on before the wiper has stopped moving it continues to work. However if I turn it off completely it will not turn back on unless I open the rear lift gate and close it. Engine can be running or off as long as the ignition is on. Lift gate, remote unlock, rear washer and license place lights all work. All wires in harness at hinge point are good. Fuses and circuit breaker are all good. Grounds are good. All connectors have been taken apart and cleaned and reset. It seems as though that once the wiper switch is turned to off, memory/power is lost until it is reset by opening and closing the rear hatch. Any suggestions. My guess is the Rear Control Module. What I'm not sure of is: does it need to be replaced or just reprogrammed?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
204 Posts
LGM issues finally SOLVED

lost all liftgate functions(locks, wiper, defrost)except the license plate lights still worked. Had 12 volts at wiper motor and at the LGM between the orange (power) and black leads. Could not find any problems with wiring inside the boot at the top of the liftgate. Bought a used LGM off E-bay for $25, which comes already programmed. Plugged it in and everything works. Seller stated that the LGM was from a 2009 TB. It had a different part number than my 2002TB had, but works fine. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks

My suspect is the LGM also. Will pick one up form a local salvage yard and let you all know if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
139 Posts
My 06 TB SS started with the same problems as others have previously mentioned, so I decided to look at the wires. Sure enough two wires were completely cut in half and two others were starting to fray. I cleaned them up, reconnected them and everything works. I included a cell phone pic below.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
I was under the impression that we could not use a used LCM. The older models will use the updated part number when being replaced. I got a couple of the newest version for like 10 bucks each on epay.
I just read this entire post and didn't notice any mention of the power seats or seat heaters not working either. I guess most drivers do not adjust their seats that much.
I have not looked at the wire condition or continuity yet. I will get that when it gets a bit warmer outside.
My biggest issue right now is not being able to open the passenger door for a date. (remotes dont work). I have to open the driver door with the key, then hit unlock inside, then run around and open the passenger door. Sounds silly. Why isn't there a key lock on the passenger door?

Jason

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3 Posts
I had the same problem, remote doesn't work, one of the wires was cut because this area is flexed repeatedly.
Corrected by rejoining
That simple..

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Ah HA!!!

I owe this forum soooo much. Bought my '07 TB 1 and a half years ago and have cleaned the throttle body, purchased an ignition switch(cheap insurance), swapped out all the front turn/headlamp/park light bulbs, and adjusted the parking brake (still mediocre-by design).

Just this last week when going to install a viper alarm with the dlpkgm interface I noticed all the classic signs: radio turns off with key(no Retained Accessory Power), rear liftgate won't lock, and the rear window wiper cutout.
After checking the rear wiper c.b, and inspecting the switch I started poking around at that LGM and rear wiper motor.

Now that I've heard all the stories I keep smacking my forehead.
I Spend 8-10hrs a day fixing automotive electrical systems on emergency vehicles. And only after reading this thread and seeing one of the posted pictures do these new quirks make sense.

Thank you all, I'll fix this weekend. This is my do-all family truckster: Kids, groceries, hauls firewood trailer, and everything else.

Long live the GMT360!

:bonk::bonk:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Well, I rewired the wiring in the tailgate to body boot and now have power at 5 of the 6 wires at the connector in the tailgate.
Still can't get anything to work.
Unfortunately, I had left the ignition turned on when I was striping one of the small wires (blue I think) and the wire stripper grounded to the frame of the tailgate and caused a short for a short moment. Now the radio doesn't work and the truck won't start or even turn over. the dash lights up and the horn / lights work.
Anyone have an idea if I might have blown a fuse / breaker / relay and if so, which one and where would I find it?
I checked all the fuses under the rear seat and in the fuse panel under the hood. Couldn't find one blown and even swapped fuses & relays with other matching ones.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
17 Posts
With multiple things not working I would look for a burned fusible link between the battery and the fuse block. This is a guess. I'm far from my truck, and have not looked under the hood, so I can't help you in finding the offending part.

Good luck! :m2:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
36 Posts
Well, I rewired the wiring in the tailgate to body boot and now have power at 5 of the 6 wires at the connector in the tailgate.
Still can't get anything to work.
Unfortunately, I had left the ignition turned on when I was striping one of the small wires (blue I think) and the wire stripper grounded to the frame of the tailgate and caused a short for a short moment. Now the radio doesn't work and the truck won't start or even turn over. the dash lights up and the horn / lights work.
Anyone have an idea if I might have blown a fuse / breaker / relay and if so, which one and where would I find it?
I checked all the fuses under the rear seat and in the fuse panel under the hood. Couldn't find one blown and even swapped fuses & relays with other matching ones.

try searching for the answer on one of the other trailblazer forums. as it turns out everyone who is "no longer with us" are over there. one is an offroad tb forum and the other is a GM Truck Nation forum. hope to see you there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is like the third or fourth item this forum has help me fix on my wife's 2005 trailblazer. Thanks a ton.

First was the oil control valve, saved over $400. :D

Then misfire in cylinder 3. New spark plugs and coil pack on cylinder three saved unknown amount because the stupid dealer could never figure it out. 5 min with a new scan tool, everyone should have one, and I was able to know exactly what the issue was. Unknown why the dealers scan tool didn't see it, or maybe it did and just didn't want to tell my wife.:confused:

Now the tailgate and remote.

Same problem. Remote key lock would not work. Wiper would not work, and so on. Dealer, without even looking at it tells the wife the module is bad and they want $590 to replace and install. Said thanks but no thanks. :no:

A little research back on my favorite Trailblazer forum and had the issue diagnosed in 10 min. Sure enough three wires were cut. A few wire connectors and the Trailblazer is back in business and my wife thinks I'm a genius, once again.:hail:

You would think that with the history of these problems the dealer would be better informed, or more like they are simply refusing to acknowledge it. I would sure like to know from any dealer service employees on here, if there are any, what the heck the deal is, it's like some of these problems they've never seen before. 10 min with the web and this forum and the answer is there.
:thx

41 - 60 of 77 Posts