Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, got one for ya. I did a search on lifter noise and only could find threads that say "upon startup". I too have that noise, but also right before it shifts from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. I looked at the oil life monitor when I first noticed it, and it said 46%. Now I change my oil at 3000 miles anyway and do not go by the monitor. Just changed oil today and still doing it. Is there anyway a timing sensor could be intermittent ar something else? Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Our engine doesn't actually use lifters per se, it uses a roller valve tappet or cam follower. Overhead cams make different sounds than an overhead valve motor. What does it sound like? (Is it a 'ticking' type sound).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it isn't a ticking noise, it sounds like lifter clatter when you have too much timing. I don't understand because I tried to brake stand it a little to get the engine under load and it wouldn't do it then. Now when you start it in the morning, yes it is a ticking, but this noise really sounds like a lifter clatter in an older motor.:worried:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If nobody has ever had this problem, I'll get the dealer to look at and let everybody know what I find out. I changed oil, and even changed gas and it still does it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
I've got the same noise in mine. It goes away when the motor warms up. I did the Seafoam treatment and it helped quiet it down a bit. My dealer tells me its normal noise for a motor with 82,000 miles, but not to worry if something breaks it should be covered under my extended warranty??? I had them document everything just in case. Let us know what they tell you. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
Seafoam

If you do a search on the forums here several people explain it better, but basically you purchase a bottle of Seafoam engine treatment from local auto parts store. You start the engine and disconnect vacuum hose from brake booster. Pour 1/3 bottle Seafoam into hose with engine running,shut off engine wait 15-20 minutes. Reconnect hose to brake booster. Restart engine and rev engine rpms up and down, you will get alot of white smoke out of exhaust, when smoke lessens take the car for a ride. I dumped the rest in my fuel tank. Thats pretty much it, it helps clean alot of the carbon buildups out of the engine. Again if you do a search for it there are several better and more detailed step by step directions for it. There are even several videos about it on YouTube.(some put the other 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in fuel tank)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well just picked up from the dealer and they said it was NOT a motor noise at all. What it was, was apparently there are some trans coolant lines that would vibrate right at the time it would shift, and the vibration is what we were hearing. They moved them and reconnected and said vibrate no more. I have driven to see if any more noise, and no noise yet. Will still watch and see, but nothing yet. Kinda sounds like a bull s#@t story, but if no noise we're all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts