Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2005 Trailblazer ls 4x4
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a 3 inch lift kit, I've only gotten the front done because of not having time but I was going to put the rear in this weekend. After installing the front lift, I tried to use my 4x4 in some snow and i noticed the front isn't engaging in neither 4 high or low. The switch itself says it's engaged and I can hear the actuator engage, but when I step on the gas only my back tires spin out and I can hear a slight mechanical ticking as I'm spinning in the front. I didn't notice anything binding and everything else works fine after the install so I'm not sure what happened. I haven't looked to see if any new codes popped up yet, I was planning on it tonight, and I haven't gotten underneath it yet and taken a look. Just curious as to what everyone else thinks of this, anything is helpful. Thanks!

· Registered
63 Posts
So I installed a 3 inch lift kit, I've only gotten the front done because of not having time but I was going to put the rear in this weekend. After installing the front lift, I tried to use my 4x4 in some snow and i noticed the front isn't engaging in neither 4 high or low. The switch itself says it's engaged and I can hear the actuator engage, but when I step on the gas only my back tires spin out and I can hear a slight mechanical ticking as I'm spinning in the front. I didn't notice anything binding and everything else works fine after the install so I'm not sure what happened. I haven't looked to see if any new codes popped up yet, I was planning on it tonight, and I haven't gotten underneath it yet and taken a look. Just curious as to what everyone else thinks of this, anything is helpful. Thanks!

Go underneath and make sure your CV axles havent seperated, the 3" lift is too much for this suspension geometry and causes 4wd problems

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,193 Posts
I've made this same statement too many times to count --- leave these soccer mom 4WDs-to-get-up-a-slippery-driveway alone!

If you want that much clearance, start with a Jeep or a K5 or something that starts at 3" and can go up a lot more.
One could also install a straight axle under the front end and begone with the control arms and short axles and really lightweight steering parts.​

The TBs are great vehicles in their own way, but they ain't no prerunners.

· Registered
2005 Trailblazer ls 4x4
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm only asking that question because --- right up front --- the first line of your post, you said:

"So I installed a 3 inch lift kit " ---> "I" is the operative there --- right?
Yes I installed it, ik what the cv axle is, Im just not sure what to look for to tell if they have separated? And if they have, what would I have to do to fix it? I could go and research and spend all the time but I figured maybe someone would be kind enough to help and explain things. I understand the issues with putting a 3 inch lift In, I've read a lot of reviews and have done the research and it seemed like it was a 50/50 situation with some people having issues and others not. So I took a chance and so happened to be the wrong move.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,193 Posts
Lessee ---- you are special to me, you rascal you --- and I'm gonna fix your post so even I can read it --- OK?

Yes I installed it, <should be a period, not a comma>

ik <sic> what the cv axle is, <should be a period, not a comma>

Im <sic> just not sure what to look for to tell if they have separated? <that's a statement, not a question>

And if they have, what would I have to do to fix it? <never start a sentence with a conjunction>

I could go and research and spend all the time but I figured maybe someone would be kind enough to help and explain things. <why would you assume that? We spent years repairing cars and had to learn it all -- and besides, Google is your friend --- so stop insulting people by having them do all the foot work for you while you play video games. FTR ---> I now don't want to help you for that admission about your attitude>

I understand the issues with putting a 3 inch lift In, <Never end a sentence with a preposition (In) - and - again --> there should be a period, not a comma>

I've read a lot of reviews and have done the research <OK --- Stop right here!
You said you've done all the research, yet (to quote you:​
"I could go and research and spend all the time but I figured " --- etc., etc.
Do you see where you comingled truths there?>

and <never start a sentence with a conjunction> it seemed like it was a 50/50 situation with some people having issues and others not. <the continuity here leaves a lot to be understood, but it LOOKS like you're betting even money that someone will help you. That's another insult>

So I took a chance and so happened to be the wrong move. <Yup>

· Registered
2005 Trailblazer ls 4x4
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lessee ---- you are special to me, you rascal you --- and I'm gonna fix your post so even I can read it --- OK?

Yes I installed it, <should be a period, not a comma>

ik <sic> what the cv axle is, <should be a period, not a comma>

Im <sic> just not sure what to look for to tell if they have separated? <that's a statement, not a question>

And if they have, what would I have to do to fix it? <never start a sentence with a conjunction>

I could go and research and spend all the time but I figured maybe someone would be kind enough to help and explain things. <why would you assume that? We spent years repairing cars and had to learn it all -- and besides, Google is your friend --- so stop insulting people by having them do all the foot work for you while you play video games. FTR ---> I now don't want to help you for that admission about your attitude>

I understand the issues with putting a 3 inch lift In, <Never end a sentence with a preposition (In) - and - again --> there should be a period, not a comma>

I've read a lot of reviews and have done the research <OK --- Stop right here!
You said you've done all the research, yet (to quote you:​
"I could go and research and spend all the time but I figured " --- etc., etc.
Do you see where you comingled truths there?>

and <never start a sentence with a conjunction> it seemed like it was a 50/50 situation with some people having issues and others not. <the continuity here leaves a lot to be understood, but it LOOKS like you're betting even money that someone will help you. That's another insult>

So I took a chance and so happened to be the wrong move. <Yup>
I guess I don't understand why your correcting my comments as if I'm writing a paper for school. If you don't want to help that's fine, just stay off my post then. I was saying that I've done my research on the lift kit, and I haven't done any on cv axles yet. I'm still new to this working on cars by myself thing since I moved out and got a house at 18. I had no intention on my last comment to insult anyone like you are implying. Was just stating that a lot of people on here has lots of years and hands on learning like yourself, and would be a better resource then Google. I'm not trying to make anyone else do the footwork for me, just getting multiple opinions with my research.

· Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
524 Posts
I pasted an image below of what your CV axles should look like when not broken or separated. If yours don't look like that, you've found your problem.

White Light Line Auto part Cable

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,193 Posts
I guess I don't understand why your correcting my comments as if I'm writing a paper for school. If you don't want to help that's fine, just stay off my post then. I was saying that I've done my research on the lift kit, and I haven't done any on cv axles yet. I'm still new to this working on cars by myself thing since I moved out and got a house at 18. I had no intention on my last comment to insult anyone like you are implying. Was just stating that a lot of people on here has lots of years and hands on learning like yourself, and would be a better resource then Google. I'm not trying to make anyone else do the footwork for me, just getting multiple opinions with my research.
Doh! Because you are trying to make me come down to your level of wretchedly poor English composition.

While you may be captive in your parent's basement where they hide you when company comes, and are protected from professionalism, reality and plain ol' class ... you're the one who asked for assistance --- not I.

Common courtesy would indicate you should at the least make an attempt to communicate better than writing on the floor of your cage with a charred stick.

· Registered
2005 Trailblazer ls 4x4
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that I am the one who asked for assistance, yet you are the one going out of your way to degrade me and make fun of me. I thought this platform was ment for helping people and communicating with each other. But instead I have gotten nothing but insults from you. And it isn't only on this post. I doubt you even remember but you're the one who didn't even know the correct bolt pattern for your own car and I was nice about trying to explain it to you. Never once have I done anything to you. You must just sit behind a screen all day because your name is the only one I see on 95% of the discussions on here and that's pretty sad. I hope you have a nice rest of your day, and if you could. Please stay off my discussion posts.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,193 Posts
I don't hang here 24-7 as you surmise.

You might think that is an insult to me - it isn't - but it raises a number of red flags about your education and willingness to learn.

So - yeah ---> I am retired and there's that for sure --- but I'm out and about a lot of the day and always have my tablet with me and when I can hook into a friendly WIFI hotspot, I do so and check up on misguided people as yourself who then decide to act as ingrates and entitlement-endowed cave dwellers who want to bring society to their level of incompetency.

Communication is critical --- and these are critical times --- and with that comes greater and greater responsibility to make your desires and wishes clear and precise.
You well-likely are a person who needs to be handed a fish someone else caught because you don't want to learn how to catch one yourself.​

Our vehicles are critically technical --- more so are the more modern vehicles out there - and precise communication means the difference between repairing one or burning it down to the hubcaps.

If you want jumbled responses that you have to negotiate through seeking the salient parts to the answer you need - you'd not be happy if I were to treat you so maliciously as you are trying to do with me either.
I demand no less --- meet me on a legible, well-drawn field of question and I'll give you an answer.​
Insult my intelligence (I'm a Boomer, after all) and insist upon using your Cro-Magnon's communicational skill (can you say: "monoparagraph"? - I didn't think so) and you'll get an English Composition Lesson, which you have so deftly pointed out as needy in you.​

1 - 15 of 15 Posts