Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lifespan Thoughts (?) & Proactive Maintenance Suggestions (?) for LOW mileage 2005

My name's John - THANK YOU in advance for your thoughts..

I bought my 2005 Trailblazer EXT 2WD new - and have kept it outside (but always covered when not being used) in Florida since. Don’t drive it much - but do use it to TOW (±3000lbs) 50% of it’s miles.

It looks really great & there's some minor superficial frame rust but nothing like vehicles I've had up North. No body rust at all - which seems logical seeing it's kept covered in West Palm Beach.

As of August 2016 mileage is about 28,500

MAINTENANCE THUS FAR:

- Yearly Oil Changes with Synthetic
- New tires as I was (possibly overly) concerned with rot at 10 years
- Tranny Flush/Fill once due to how much I tow & age of fluid
- changed serpentine belt at 10 years
- brake fluid flushed
- rear diff fluid changed
- new battery in 2012
- coolant flushed & filled
And both front & rear brake pads & rotors have been changed due to various issues in the vehicle’s life.

SO FINALLY - MY QUESTION: :undecided

Given I’m putting less than 3k miles on yearly - how long CAN this truck be reliable for me?

And what else would YOU do - if anything - as far as maintenance is concerned?

Anything you’d do maintenance on or change PROACTIVELY (like I did the serpentine belt) to try to ensure you weren’t STRANDED somewhere with the vehicle? OR to ensure the longevity of the vehicle?

To me, these come to mind:

- Hoses (rupture & you’re SOL - even with good duct tape :)
- Alternator - (fails & you’re soon stuck - esp at night)
- Starter - (fails & you’re not going anywhere)

I’m asking because I don’t really know what kinds of items sometimes fail with TIME - versus MILES.

Most every thread deals with age & longevity in terms of miles, & I'm pretty sure I have a fairly unique situation.

THANKS FOR ALL THOUGHTS & SUGGESTIONS! :thx

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
My name's John - THANK YOU in advance for your thoughts..

I bought my 2005 Trailblazer EXT 2WD new - and have kept it outside (but always covered when not being used) in Florida since. Don’t drive it much - but do use it to TOW (±3000lbs) 50% of it’s miles.

It looks really great & there's some minor superficial frame rust but nothing like vehicles I've had up North. No body rust at all - which seems logical seeing it's kept covered in West Palm Beach.

As of August 2016 mileage is about 28,500

MAINTENANCE THUS FAR:

- Yearly Oil Changes with Synthetic
- New tires as I was (possibly overly) concerned with rot at 10 years
- Tranny Flush/Fill once due to how much I tow & age of fluid
- changed serpentine belt at 10 years
- brake fluid flushed
- rear diff fluid changed
- new battery in 2012
- coolant flushed & filled
And both front & rear brake pads & rotors have been changed due to various issues in the vehicle’s life.

SO FINALLY - MY QUESTION: :undecided

Given I’m putting less than 3k miles on yearly - how long CAN this truck be reliable for me?

And what else would YOU do - if anything - as far as maintenance is concerned?

Anything you’d do maintenance on or change PROACTIVELY (like I did the serpentine belt) to try to ensure you weren’t STRANDED somewhere with the vehicle? OR to ensure the longevity of the vehicle?

To me, these come to mind:

- Hoses (rupture & you’re SOL - even with good duct tape :)
- Alternator - (fails & you’re soon stuck - esp at night)
- Starter - (fails & you’re not going anywhere)

I’m asking because I don’t really know what kinds of items sometimes fail with TIME - versus MILES.

Most every thread deals with age & longevity in terms of miles, & I'm pretty sure I have a fairly unique situation.

THANKS FOR ALL THOUGHTS & SUGGESTIONS! :thx
I own a 85,000 mile 2006 T.B. and a 74,000 mile 2007 T.B.

I like your approach, being pro-active, rather than re-active.

Radiator hoses, heater hoses would be my next choice, based on the age of your T.B.

Air filters for me are once per year.

Spark plugs are due at 100,000, but I would not want to attempt to remove a spark plug that may be seized in the cylinder head, due to age and corrosion.

I did my plugs @ 50,000.

Alternator and starter are "roll of the dice" items.

For me, I have had better luck with the factory alternators and generators, as opposed to the junky REBUILT units we find out there.

I replaced a starter (failure) on my '06 @ 78,000 miles, with a NEW GM unit. A mix of city and highway miles make up the total mileage on my '06.

I do keep AAA PLUS towing coverage, as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts