Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my 06 Envoy SLE back in July and got rid of my hatchback with a decent system in it, and it's time to start again. This time I'm working with a lot bigger of a vehicle and on a student/server budget so may have to do it in steps. I got non-navigation, bose, and onstar-which I don't use but want to keep just in case. I was thinking for a HU the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD. I can get it on Amazon.com for under $400 which compared to crutchfields almost $600 is a nice break. I will prob leave the stock speakers since they are bose for now but in the near future want to add a sub(s). I was planning on doing a custom fiberglass box similar to the JL stealthbox but I want to run at least a 12" sub. I was thinking single JL Audio 12W3v3-2 powered by a Alpine MRP-M500. Or was thinking 2 Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1200F powered by something yet to be determined. The JL takes 1.25 cu ft in a sealed box and the kenwoods take .8 each, which with stuffing the box and possibly making it a little bigger can be done in the same space I believe. Only making the box will really be able to tell how much airspace I can get. Plus the Kenwoods are shallow mount and 4 ohm so would probably have to run together to get the most out of any amp, but they only are rated to 30hz vs the JLs 22hz. My main goals are keeping the cargo space and having good sound quality and decently loud but nothing overbearing. What do you guys think of this setup? I used to help out at an audio shop but that was 3+ years ago so kind of out of the loop on all this. I will be doing all the install by myself along with the fiberglass, which I have experience in doing all that. Any recommendations for a better sub approx $200 per sub or cheaper, and input on a good amp to drive it or previously listed subs? Do you even think it's possible to fit the approx 1.6 cu ft in the area I'm talking about for the 2 shallow mounts?

I'm procrastinating studying for a test so here's links too.
JL Audio 12W3v3-2
Alpine MRP-M500
Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1200F Shallow Mount
Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
so are you doing shallow mount subs or the w3's?

not sure what you were running in your previous setup, but for some reason it takes a little more power to "get loud" in a trailvoy.

the best budget setup i can think of off the top of my head is a Hifonics bxi 1208 or 1608 wich you can find for like 200-250 and 2x alpine type R's 12's, they are like $120 each on amazon.

but if i had to pick out a new sysetem myself and i had the cash at the moment i would go with: 2x RE SE's 12" and a Sundown 1500.:m2:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was debating between the JL and the shallow mounts. I am still deciding what to pick. I want to save as much room as I can and thought by doing shallow mounts I could do that but I may have to do 2 to get enough output for my taste. I am not on too tight of a budget but don't want anything godly expensive, approx $1200 give or take a couple hundred for sub(s), amp, and dvd player. I got an iPhone so no need for navigation. Any ideas on a better HU? Ha ya a small sports car w/ hatchback is much easier to get loud, I had a single 12" premier pioneer way underpowered and it shook the car because hatchbacks pretty much double the sound by bouncing the soundwaves off the glass and amplifying them. Do you really think the Alpines or other subs mentioned will beat the JL for quality and output?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out the RE subs and they look pretty nice! Where is a good place to get them? Any online retailers? I tried the map on the website but was not successful.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i would go to ebay, best prices around. or if you dont like egay you can try woofersetc.com or sonicelectronix.com or whatever there are several sites.

as far as HU's im a pioneer fan, and if you can get the premieer thats better. depends if you want a single or double din HU. im sure that 4000 would be fine, if you want that double din touch screen plus, someone said it was iphone compatiable. if you want some eq control i would suggest the 800 or 880 with a 16 band eq or if you want something with a little more modern the 980. ive got the 6900ub HU, it has like a 9 band, iirc.

personally i wouldnt do the thin subs, you can get louder and sound better with less money.

as far as sound quality and performance i think it would be a better to compare the re se to the w6.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely like the price on the ebay for the RE, only thing is what about the warranty, I know ebay auctions usually don't come with any warranty from the dealer and always kinda worried about warranties from ebay auctions. I will definitely buy my HU from an authorized dealer because of spending so much and so much can possibly go wrong with a HU especially compared to a sub so i want the warranty. I am wanting a double din HU with at least DVD and I mean if price is right I'll do navigation but it's not needed. As far as the sub is concerned I think one RE SE 12" will be good to start me off and I can always add later. What amp brands are good these days? the RE SE 12" is 600w RMS so would want between 600-800w amp.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
468 Posts
RE SE FTW!! :yes:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
as far as subs you really dont have to worry about much as long as its new.

and electronics, i would buy form somewhere that has at least a 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was checking out that stuff on ebay and the same company that does the RE subs is US amps, are they good amps? They have one that is a class DE amp rated at 600w @1 ohm or a class D amp that is rated 750w @ 2 ohm or 1200w @ 1 ohm. The RE SE 12" is either dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm. So I could get the second amp and a dual 4 ohm and run that and if I wanted then could upgrade to 2 subs and keep the same amp but run it at 1 ohm.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i dont know what a E class amp is, if its anything like a G/H class amp its for home audio, but can be used for car audio, i think arc audio uses it, but anyways.

i would go with 2x dual 4 subs to 1 ohm with the 1200 watt amp. i know they are good amps but i have had no experience with them. one company you might want to check out is american bass, the 100.1 vfl, ive heard great things about them

http://www.americanbassusa.com/front/showcontent.aspx?fileid=181

without doing a major overhaul on your electrical system, your not gonna see more than abut 1100 watts, well that is my experience.

also you might want to check into some 1/o wire, some good stuff is kunkocetz, and its pretty cheap, they sell 50ft of it on ebay for like $80, just thinking ahead when you do the 4 channel your gonna need some wire that will allow for better current flow.

one more thing you want to check out the log about how to do a big three, its for your alternator, it allows for better current flow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KnuKonceptz-Met...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am looking at the AVIC-F90BT now as long as 6ave will keep the warranty from pioneer. Under the pioneer website they say 6ave is an authorized dealer for home electronics but says nothing about car so I email 6ave just to clarify. My main reasoning for going ahead and doing this over the 4100 is I've read many reviews that have great success with bluetooth working with the Iphone, which I would not have to buy the bluetooth expander so it pretty much makes up the price difference plus getting navigation which is probably better than on my phone. Still going to be more than I wanted to spend after getting the wiring harness to keep chimes, bose, and onstar and to get the new xm unit but hey it's just money.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HAHA no rubbing it in...I do like the HU from what I have researched compared to the 4100...but it still only has a 3 band EQ I think but for the money and all what can I say, guess I can always buy an extra EQ, plus most of what I run can be off of my Iphone and Ipod so I can use that EQ to help with the 3 band. I didn't realize when you said it that I could get the 90Bt for a couple under more which is the price of the bluetooth and I get navigation on top of it which I don't need but hey I'm 21 and already buying stuff I don't "need" so why not add too it. I am hoping to by the time summer rolls around to have the sub box completed and installed...I will probably start with 1 RE SE 12" and amp I previously posted that does 750w @ w ohm. and if I need I will fiberglass a second encloser or add to the soon to be current one to add a second but as of now I am "almost" satisfied with my bose, which we all know will change once I get a single sub again!!!! but going with that configuration I can get 2 RE SE 12" off the single amp which won't technically push them to potential since amp only runs approx 90% but close enough. I used to have a 1000W Premier Pioneer running off of a 400wx2 bridged amp in the back of the hatchback which is reality is approx 600w fully powered in a much smaller space so it rocked. Sorry for the long post but I just got home from bars and saw this and am really excited to get this project underway, just waiting for over 50 degrees to start the fiberglass since no real garage to work in! I wanna go :woot: making my head :duh: getting the look from others :nono: while I say :chillpill: and they give me the finger so I reply :thx so I know my system is rocking!!! and I not :hissy::coffee:sleepy::weird::crackup: at my current system anymore

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
1. are you planning on running one or two subs?
2. what amp are you gonna use?

man i wanted to go to the bar last night, but no monies. :bonk:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya you have no idea how much drunken thought went into making that sentence. And for now I am planning on running one sub. Going with the equipment I am thinking would allow for a pretty good setup for expanding which is part of why I am going with it. I was originally planning on running JL 3 serier's whereas now I am thinking the RE SE which was said to be more similar to the JL 6 series, so I think I will be satisfied for a time with a single sub.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
if your planning on expanding, i would get a dual 4 ohm sub and wire it to 2 ohms. then find an amp that does 600-700ish watts at 2 ohms.

then when you want another sub, get another dual 4 and wire them to 1 ohm. just make sure that you buy an amp that is 1 ohm stable.

the hifonics 1608 is like $250, but if you spend a little more you can get some quality stuff like the American bass 100.1, which i think is $350, which i think is still a great price.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya I found an amp from the same company that makes the RE subs, US Amps, I believe and they have one that is 1 ohm stable at 1200w and like 2 ohm at 750 I think. And was around $260 but I am still looking on that stuff. I am going to start with the headunit which will run around $800 for the f90bt and xm adapter and gmos-04 and everything so, will be a bit until I do the sub and amp, but hopefully not too long

1 - 20 of 22 Posts