·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms:
1. Left tire squeals turning right.
2. Vibration at high speeds 70+.
3. Truck pulsates coming to a slow stop. The whole truck pulsates, I don't have any feedback on the brake pedal.
4. Vibration coming from left side as far as I can tell when I brake hard and turn right. The vibration is mild, not a shaking. It almost feels like something is grinding.
5. Truck pulls to the left every once in awhile, not all the time.

I've had the wheels balanced, tire pressure checked and front wheel alignment completed. Still have these problems. My local mechanic told me a couple of weeks ago that my lower ball joints were bad.

Do you think this is the only problem? I am going to do the lower ball joint repair, but if I need to do something else while I'm down there, that would save me some time.

Any and all opinions/facts would be helpful. Thanks guys!:thx

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Symptoms:
1. Left tire squeals turning right.
2. Vibration at high speeds 70+.
3. Truck pulsates coming to a slow stop. The whole truck pulsates, I don't have any feedback on the brake pedal.
4. Vibration coming from left side as far as I can tell when I brake hard and turn right. The vibration is mild, not a shaking. It almost feels like something is grinding.
5. Truck pulls to the left every once in awhile, not all the time.

I've had the wheels balanced, tire pressure checked and front wheel alignment completed. Still have these problems. My local mechanic told me a couple of weeks ago that my lower ball joints were bad.

Do you think this is the only problem? I am going to do the lower ball joint repair, but if I need to do something else while I'm down there, that would save me some time.

Any and all opinions/facts would be helpful. Thanks guys!:thx
Most places check the ball joints when they do an alignment, if for no other reason than to try to sell you new ones.(Even when they are not bad.):m2:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wheel alignment was done at separate location from the lower ball joints. The local mechanic is just down the road from me did lower ball joint test with a crowbar, showed me the play in the lower ball joint.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
maybe that tire just needs to be balanced? it may have lost its weights..

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE:

I replaced the upper and lower ball joints. This has greatly reduced the squeal of the tires. I still had a little squeal every now and then. I then checked the air and my left front tire was low. I added air last night and it has stopped.

The wheel hub on the driver's side doesn't look like it was replaced (really rusty). The passenger side does look newer. I think they replaced the passenger side, but they told me it was the driver's side. My dealership closed down the service department two weeks ago and the whole dealer ship will be closed at the end of this month. I think I'll call GM and find out what they can do.

I still have some vibration at high speeds. I've already had the ball joints replaced, balanced and the right air pressure. Not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Could be a bad tire.

Best solution would be to swap wheels/tires from another truck that doesn't have the vibration, and drive it. If you don't experience the vibration, then you know it is in your tires/wheels.

If you can't find someone to borrow wheels/tires from, use your spare. Start at your left front, installing the spare. Then drive it. If the vibration is gone, replace the tire. If the vibration is still there, reinstall the LF and move the spare to the RF and drive it. Do the same for both rear wheels. When the vibration disappears you'll have isolated the bad tire.

It could be that you have more than one bad tire, which is why it is best to swap on a complete set of wheels/tires.

Tires can go bad internally. Belts can shift or separate. It is not uncommon. And, you usually can't tell by looking at or feeling the tire.

Balancing won't mask the vibration produced by a bad belt, so just because the tires have been balanced doesn't mean you don't have a bad belt.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be a bad tire.

Best solution would be to swap wheels/tires from another truck that doesn't have the vibration, and drive it. If you don't experience the vibration, then you know it is in your tires/wheels.

If you can't find someone to borrow wheels/tires from, use your spare. Start at your left front, installing the spare. Then drive it. If the vibration is gone, replace the tire. If the vibration is still there, reinstall the LF and move the spare to the RF and drive it. Do the same for both rear wheels. When the vibration disappears you'll have isolated the bad tire.

It could be that you have more than one bad tire, which is why it is best to swap on a complete set of wheels/tires.

Tires can go bad internally. Belts can shift or separate. It is not uncommon. And, you usually can't tell by looking at or feeling the tire.

Balancing won't mask the vibration produced by a bad belt, so just because the tires have been balanced doesn't mean you don't have a bad belt.
Awesome insight :thumbsup:. The tires have 55K on them; I'm waiting until the winter to put new ones on. They are definitely worn but still passed state inspection. I'll definitely check the ride with the spare. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Awesome insight :thumbsup:. The tires have 55K on them; I'm waiting until the winter to put new ones on. They are definitely worn but still passed state inspection. I'll definitely check the ride with the spare. Thanks again!
I would also suggest the tires, but before switching them out, make sure the weights are still attached. the tire may have just lost its balance.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
28 Posts
i have the exact ...i mean exact same problem .... however, i have two sets of wheels and tire... i've had both sets balanced and it still does it... but only turning one way and all that, just like you are discribing .... so i would assume mine has to be the hub... and you're probably is too. but just so you know i've tried all the rotating, balancing, weight checks... and it's none of that little junk.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Well, if it's not the tires or wheels, then it is probably the ball joint, though I guess it could also be the a tie rod end. Note in the very first post that his mechanic said his ball joints were bad.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ball joints were changed. Hub and bearing changed on both sides. New tires all around.

That solved all of my problems.

I do have a new one: intermittent vibration at random speeds. Hard to diagnose waiting for it to get worse.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
I have a similar problem. Turning right there is a squeal and a tick. Turning right, nothing. A couple months ago I had an alignment done and the mechanic said that the power steering was leaking and should probably get replace, there was no dripping or visual damage, so it didnt get change. I know I need to replace the shocks.

Could this be a problem with the power steering system, or is it a sign that there is a ball joint or bearing going out?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a similar problem. Turning right there is a squeal and a tick. Turning right, nothing. A couple months ago I had an alignment done and the mechanic said that the power steering was leaking and should probably get replace, there was no dripping or visual damage, so it didnt get change. I know I need to replace the shocks.

Could this be a problem with the power steering system, or is it a sign that there is a ball joint or bearing going out?
It's hard to tell, it could be a bunch of things, I do know the hub/bearing has been notorious for going bad. I'd start there, but get some more opinions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.