Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a question I wanted to shoot over to the experts here before I bring it in to the shop. Thanks in advance!

As of today, this would have been the third time in four months that I have had to replace the left tail light because it would not come on when I depress the brakes, but what I noticed today is that even as I replaced the dual fliament bulb with a new one the light would still not come on as I depress the brake pedal.

The problem is, though, is that ALL other lights are working. even the problem bulb in question works when I turn on the lights. It just doesn't glow "brighter" when I depress the brake pedal (so it means that one of the filaments aren't receiving current, probably.)

So, I am stumped as to what the issue is. I hope that any of you can help.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,077 Posts
I might try to put the known working brake light bulb (right side) to the left brake light socket just to rule out a faulty bulb from the new pack before you mess with everything else.

If it still does not get any brighter it sounds like there may be a problem somewhere in the wiring.

There was a recall concerning vibration of the light bulb socket to cause premature burn out of bulbs. The dealer can check by the vin if the safety recall was ever done in the event you are the second owner of the truck.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted on your progress. I will keep my fingers crossed it is just a faulty bulb.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Are you sure your truck has had the taillight circuit board recall done on it? That causes bulbs to keep blowing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your replies.

ParrotHead, I think that once again, you hit it right on the nose with the solution to my problem.

I did a little more reading and read about a curcuit board issue that was common. That and your "vibrating" comment kind of made sense.

So I took out the assembly and popped out each bulb. Turns out that one contact where the dual filament fits is black (burned). I cleaned the contact and reassembled the tail light.

It works again, but I believe the solution is only temporary.

Do you guys think I should still replace the curcuit board?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,077 Posts
Here is a link to the recalls on 2004 trailblazer.
http://www.trailvoy.com/staff/recalls/2004-tb-recall.pdf

I took it in for the recall. Ocasionally I still have brake lights become inoperative as a result of the black plastic melting around the brake light contact as you described. I sometimes scrape off the plastic around the contact or just replace the bulb. I probably end up replacing tail light bulbs about every year. I am not sure if the bulb is getting too hot melting the plastic or still a vibration issue on my truck. If I was you, I would invest in an extra pack of bulbs and leave a screw driver in the truck.

If you are blowing bulbs that frequently, I would take it to the dealer. If it is aproblem due to the safety recall they should fix it with no cost to you.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Do you guys think I should still replace the curcuit board?
It's a free circuit board replacement by the dealer, as long as it's never been done before. Are you the original owner? If not, call have them run the VIN to see if it was done previously.

I had it done long ago (maybe 5 years?), and the turn signal bulb in the left rear just finally burned out the other day.....normal wear & tear, no melted contacts. The other bulbs are still working fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts