Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had this idea... i ordered 500 green leds for 28$ so im gonna have alot to play with and put inside of my tb. but this idea hit me just now 5am on an all nighter and i come up with good ideas lol.

but anyways

a set of green and red leds in the following areas. under door handles. in headlight or green area. plate lighting area.

and heres my idea. Unlock the car with the key fob the blink green with the lights/or light up green..lock the car with the key fob and they blink red.

so far from what i can think of it seems possible. but i dont know where i would find the wiring or anything for the lock/unlock connected to the keyfob transmissions. any ideas?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
199 Posts
You are on the right track from what you have explained. You will need to find the right wires that send the signals to lock and unlock then wire in a relay or similar to the green or red leds.
Good luck with that!
Good idea btw

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well heres what i figure im probably wrong but worth a try...if anything there should be a relay in one of the fuse boxes for lock/unlock. wire the leds up to the right relay with the right resistors to get the correct voltage and not fry the led's and that should work ? if that would work out that would seem to be the easiest way

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my idea worked out pretty damn good

basically i tested it out with a blue led " the only one i had laying around"

both the relays come out to about 12.5volts on each point

green being the pin that signals for unlock

red being the pin that signals for lock

i might of mixed up the to colors on the picture but still easy to figure out.

leds are on their way and all this will be becoming a reality soon

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
need an honest opinion on if this it to much or if it would be ok. Leds around headlights red,green,red,green etc. but tucked in so not visible really. leds around taillights. led strip around the windshield under the windshield wiper area.under each door handle/hatch handle.

keeping in mind they would only blink red when locking and blink green twice on unlock. might be a bit overkill but i got 500greens coming and 100 reds.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
213 Posts
Has blue LED's in door handles on Cardomain

Personally, the LED's on the windshield area would be a bit much for me. Are the LED's actually green and red, or clear and light up green and red. If you can hide them well enough it would make it easier to see in a big parking lot though.

I would do all the handles definitely.
Headlights and tail lights would be cool, but too many I think would look cheesy.

Just my 2cents though. Still a cool idea and want to see pics!

Outlaw

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clear 8000mcd's... i dont mess with the low range leds. even though i could have got 14,000mcd's and be even brighter this should be alright

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
199 Posts
I think you are gonna need a voltage regulator or some led strip that accepts a voltage range. Dont wanna fry those leds. sizzle

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well as far as the tests went with my test led everything turned out fine, nothing fried no severe jumps in voltage " had a dmm on the led after the resistor and another on the relay" the max voltage ive seen was in the area of 12.5v.

as far as setting up the leds and weather proofing them im going to wire them all up in a line with just leds and wires basically like so __|__|__|__| but only expose the copper where the leds connect.

after there all hooked up im going to slide them along with the resistor built into the tube, into a thin and flexible clear tube barely big enough to let the whole setup slide in and seal off both end with clean silicone or something else only leaving the -/+ wires coming out of one end but leaving a water proof seal. by doing this it will give me some flexibility since there is no board holding the leds together just wiring.

ill make a tube for each area and attach them and be on my way :)

my leds arent here yet they are coming from hong kong but it should be sometime this week hopefully. 500green and 100red for about $38 shipped from ledshoppe.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts