Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've read up on quite a bit of goodies that everyone has done, it's about time I got my hands dirty and did some mods of my own. Earlier this week I ordered one BLUE M-SMT 20 LED dome light and six BLUE 11 SMT dome lights. :D

Last night I installed them, and took some before, after, and after dark pics. Would love to get some feedback from everyone. :grouphug:

Liftgate up

From 2nd Row, driver's side

For the two 3rd row seating lights, there was a funny shaped reflector that had a 'basket' of sorts that the illuminated end of the bulb was cradled in. Since these bulbs were smaller than the front 4 (but the sockets are the same size) I had to take them out for the LEDs to fit, but the light dispersion seems fine to me.

Front end and passenger corner

So far this was the most fun $50 I've spent on my TB to date, although I was on the fence about getting a Fire & Ice light bar first, but I kinda want to do LED tail lights at the same time. Like I've seen in other posts, the camera doesn't pick up as much light as I thought it would, so they are a bit darker than how it really looks.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you pick up your kit? It looks good.
:thx

On the recommendation of a few other threads, I went with v-leds.com. I couldn't find the right 5 LED or 6 LED bulbs that were mentioned in previous posts, but found the 11 LEDs for what I thought was a good price, especially since I was going to need 6.

I wish I had footwell and glove box sockets, I would have done those too. I might decide to tap into the dome lights and run some wires through the pillars, since I read about that in some other threads too. But we'll have to see.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
229 Posts
Im not a fan of the blue. Just my opinion, looks good otherwise. Im looking at doing white from the same site. Was there more room in the cargo lamp for the bigger bulb, or was that one tight as it is?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to go back and look, I guess it comes down to how the housing is shaped on yours. For mine, there was room for one more row of LEDs, if they were off centered, there's more space on the liftgate side of the bulb. Cabin side it's almost up against the housing.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
520 Posts
Cool!! :cool:

:eek:fftopic: I see that you've got what looks like a Garmin StreetPilot GPS mounted to the center vents. How's it mounted? I've got mine on the windshield but yours looks better placed.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool!! :cool:

:eek:fftopic: I see that you've got what looks like a Garmin StreetPilot GPS mounted to the center vents. How's it mounted? I've got mine on the windshield but yours looks better placed.
I hated the windshield mount and had a generic AC vent mount for a while, but it didn't work well with the TB's shorter fins. On the suggestion of others in the forum I checked out Proclips' selection and settled on this vehicle mount, and the Garmin adapter.

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...egoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=

It's very sturdy and doesn't budge when I hit speed bumps or enter uneven driveways and other things that caused my other one to pop loose. With both pieces plus shipping, it ran me just over $65. I highly recommend them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,749 Posts
Looks cool, different. But I'm a fan of Bright White LED's, it makes such a big difference at such a small price. I paid $20.00+s&h..for a bag of 10pcs,from V-Leds also. Did you do your plates too?
After

B4

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks cool, different. But I'm a fan of Bright White LED's, it makes such a big difference at such a small price. I paid $20.00+s&h..for a bag of 10pcs,from V-Leds also. Did you do your plates too?
The white ones look good on yours. I wanted something a lil different, and since I did the same with blue LEDs in my computer, it seemed natural. I don't tell my friends about it, and when we get in my truck at night, I get some pretty sweet reactions from them.

I haven't done my plates yet, but I plan to. I want to do them, a fire and ice bar, and possibly LED tail lights all at the same time. Finances permitting of course (holiday bonus check hopefully :m2:)

:eek:fftopic: Trojan fan eh? So I'm sure you're happy with the result of that game vs OSU last night

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
520 Posts
I hated the windshield mount and had a generic AC vent mount for a while, but it didn't work well with the TB's shorter fins. On the suggestion of others in the forum I checked out Proclips' selection and settled on this vehicle mount, and the Garmin adapter.

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...egoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=

It's very sturdy and doesn't budge when I hit speed bumps or enter uneven driveways and other things that caused my other one to pop loose. With both pieces plus shipping, it ran me just over $65. I highly recommend them :thumbsup:
Thanks for the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts