Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned a lot today about our rear differential. A lot more than I wanted to know actually. Todays' automotive tip of the day is: Never ever turn an axle shaft without the C clip and pin being put back in place. I can't tell you exactly why I did it but there I am standing there rotating the shaft when I hear all sorts of metal things clinking to the ground. It took about an hour to figure out how everything went back together.

Ok seriously, today's repair was rear axle seals and brake backing plates. Everything for the most part went well and I was astounded at the excellent condition the rear diff was in after 95000 miles. Replaced parking brake shoes, rotors, pads and sway bar links while i was back there. Tomorrow I move to the front to do upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, rotors and pads. Gotta love road salt!!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Thanks for the warning. Do you have the G80 locker?

Here's what my FORMER diff looked like after my G80 housing grenaded. I found both c-clips in the "fine grind" (as one reply cleverly called it). :dielaugh:

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I do not have the locking rear. Now that I think of it I have a second tip for those who do not have the G80: It will be much easier to remove the pinion shaft lock bolt if you remove the bracket with the two large bolts on the right side of Roadies picture.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
6 Posts
What about bearing grease?

i tried to post this on a more relavent thread but it would not allow it.

i am surprised that the procedure for replacing the rear axle bearing does not mention anything about greasing the bearing once installed. i cant imagine this gets lubed with the diff fluid. 2L doesnt seem like alot. would it be okay to pack with high temp bearing grease?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts