Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the problem that a few other SS owners have complained about where the Driver's side is higher than the Passenger side. Strangely enough I finally took it in to the dealer today and they told me that the right FRONT passenger spring was 1 1/4" lower then the left side. I was like "Are you sure its not the setting on the right rear airbag?" They said no. They went ahead and special ordered the spring so I guess we'll see if it indeed fixes the problem.

Just thought it might be interesting for those experiencing the same thing or those that had it fixed with the airbag when maybe that isnt the true cause.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm bringing mine in sometime this week (when the fog light brackets arrive), to also have them check out the body lean to the passenger side. They shop manager told me that GM allows for half an inch tolerance on either side (mine is about an inch). He even noticed the lean and agreed that something wasn't quite right.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm bringing mine in sometime this week (when the fog light brackets arrive), to also have them check out the body lean to the passenger side. They shop manager told me that GM allows for half an inch tolerance on either side (mine is about an inch). He even noticed the lean and agreed that something wasn't quite right.
Its the airbag... Dealer changed my front coil loong ago..
didnt do anything, just ajust the rear left hight sensor

·
Registered
186 Posts
Its the airbag... Dealer changed my front coil loong ago..
didnt do anything, just ajust the rear left hight sensor
I will mention that to the tech who will be working on it (he actually owns one as well). So it should be a matter of a minor adjustment.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Poll

If i remember correctly i turned it clockwise 1 or 2 degrees
I dont know what the deal is with that.. had the SAME problem with my montana versatrack gt, and from what im noticing here and there its all the same right front lower than left.. never the opposite.
Theres got to be a reason.... :confused:

Is it becauz were led foots that are always on the left lane? (you know roads are made round from side to side...
Or is it becauze we drive alone most of the time?

How many of you with the rear air suspension notice a difference in hight in the front?

·
Registered
978 Posts
It took me 3 days of adjusting and driving to get mine perfectly straight. If you think the dealer is going to get this done in one try you are crazy. I would learn to adjust it yourself or you will go crazy with 500 trips back to the dealer.

·
Registered
978 Posts
there are 2 bolts in the wheel well. You get to them by reaching through the rim. Loosen those up to adjust. To lower the rear you move them twords the front of the car. To have them raise the rear you move the unit towards the rear. Problem is that you can adjust each one as close as you think they are matching on both sides and the thing will still lean. I found the best way to adjust was to leave the car running, get a measuring tape and just keep adjusting till both sides reach the same level. There is no easy way of doing it. Like I said it took me 3 days of 2 hours per day to get it 100% correct.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
Where EXACTLY do you make the adjustments? Is it back by the bag?
You can see the adjustment bolts (one missing) in this pic looking between the spokes. This particular truck has been lowered, but the procedure to adjust is the same whether leveling or lowering.

·
Registered
186 Posts
there are 2 bolts in the wheel well. You get to them by reaching through the rim. Loosen those up to adjust. To lower the rear you move them twords the front of the car. To have them raise the rear you move the unit towards the rear. Problem is that you can adjust each one as close as you think they are matching on both sides and the thing will still lean. I found the best way to adjust was to leave the car running, get a measuring tape and just keep adjusting till both sides reach the same level. There is no easy way of doing it. Like I said it took me 3 days of 2 hours per day to get it 100% correct.
Having worked on a GM Assembly line back in the mid 80's (Camaro's and Firebird's), I can definitely assure you that whom ever was installing these parts did so probably in less than a minute (and most likely a different installer on each side of the vehicle). If these air bags require such a precision adjustment, it just ain't going to happen on the assembly line.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Having worked on a GM Assembly line back in the mid 80's (Camaro's and Firebird's), I can definitely assure you that whom ever was installing these parts did so probably in less than a minute (and most likely a different installer on each side of the vehicle). If these air bags require such a precision adjustment, it just ain't going to happen on the assembly line.
They still have real live people working on the assembly line :confused: lol

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
477 Posts
A dollar for every TBSS we did fixed for this concern would buy me lunch for a week. "Hi Mr. TBSS owner...I see you in for your first oil change and rear air bag height adjustment...
I have one tech who has the adjustment down to a fine science. Takes about 30 - 45 minutes...we get them within 1/8" side-to-side.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, finally got around taking it to the dealer. Left the TBSS overnight and they were going to hook a compressor up to the airbag system to see if they could locate a leak. Good news is that they agree it leans too much to the passenger side (and they also installed the extended fog light/bumper bracket which they ordered...but that's another story)...bad news is that they are going to order an entire passenger airbag assembly to correct it! The service manager allowed me to go back and talk to the tech yesterday. He had the vehicle up on the rack and apparently they suspect that there was a leak somewhere in the passanger air bag system (which they were going to trouble shoot this morning). He showed me that the driver air bag was "hard as a rock", and the passenger one was virtually deflated (you could actually squeeze it). So he said that I could come by today and pick up my vehicle and they would schedule an appointment sometime next week when they get the new air bag assembly in. So I am guessing that they discovered that the air bag system wasn't holding pressure (on the passenger side), and decided to replace the bag itself....to be continued! :confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
UPDATE: This is really strange (considering they are ordering another air bag)...picked up the TBSS a few minutes ago and thought I would take another measurement (as it doesn't appear to be leaning anymore). Checked the adjustment bolts on both sides and they don't appear to have been adjusted/tampered with at all. :confused: Front measures 32.5" (both sides), and rear measures 33.0" (both sides)...never been like that before. I'll leave it overnight and see if the passenger bag deflates and the lean returns...but for now...it looks perfect! :crazy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to thank you guys for proving that I am NOT CRAZY !! (The wife may argue that still!)

My truck has the same issue. 7/8" difference from driver to pass side. 3 guys at work were breakin' my balls about it. I'll be working on this when I get home if the rain lets up.

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
UPDATE: This is really strange (considering they are ordering another air bag)...picked up the TBSS a few minutes ago and thought I would take another measurement (as it doesn't appear to be leaning anymore). Checked the adjustment bolts on both sides and they don't appear to have been adjusted/tampered with at all. :confused: Front measures 32.5" (both sides), and rear measures 33.0" (both sides)...never been like that before. I'll leave it overnight and see if the passenger bag deflates and the lean returns...but for now...it looks perfect! :crazy:
It is one of the worst air bag systems on the planet. Mine is all over the place. Some days it's straight some days leaning. I wish that option was not on mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Love them

Ok they might not be the best in the west, But just to see my freinds face turn red with envy when i take his 3600 pound trailer tent. and the rear end goes back up like if there was nothing. when his GMC sierra Z71 leans down and feels like a trash truck..
For some reason we installed bags on his truck this summer ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts