Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for not being educated on autos, and the proper lingo.
But here goes. Left front, leaking, mechanic used small camera to isolate leak and said it was the left side of the "gearbox" in which the "axle" went to.
He took off a spring to remove the axle from the left side and said that wouldn't come out, called GM, bought a special tool, and spoke to another mechanic, nothing. Still leaking, he told us to get rid of this SUV. Is it that bad? what is it? Is it cost prohibited? Thank everyone in advance for the information, and to "roadie", I checked your link to offroad.com about 4 wd and saved it, but really don't know if that has anything to do with my problem. Thanks again.:(

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
That's the front differential, and if the leak is on the left side of it, that's the "CV shaft seal". Any competent mechanic should be able to remove the CV shaft from the differential if they know that they have to bang it out by using a long drift punch and a large hammer on the BACK of the inner CV tripot housing.

The seal is available only from GM, but any professional mechanic should be able to replace it.

Find a new mechanic, is my best advice. And a library book on how automotive systems work so you can discuss them using the correct terms. An educated owner is a happier owner. :thumbsup:

Trade it in for a simple seal? Nonsense!

Oh, do you know the maintenance history of the vehicle? How many miles? And have ALL the various fluids been changed? The transfer case is a surprisingly short 50K miles interval.

Oh - reading the Owner's Manual cover-to-cover is your weekend reading assignment. Don't skip ANYTHING.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.