Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on using red grease in the front differential on an '02 TB? The theory is the thicker grease won't leak out as profusely as the standard gear oil. I've used the lucas gear oil with good results, but it still leaks especially when it gets hot in 4wd driving in the snow.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is it leaking from? I would try to use gasket sealant depending on where it is leaking from could we see a photo or two? We need to see where it is leaking from to really help out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It's leaking from the axle seals on both sides, evidently a very common problem with these vehicles. It's done this since I bought it 10 years ago, and since the first time I found the diff "bone dry" I've been pretty diligent about keeping it topped off. I realize the right solution is to replace the seals, but with nearly 200k on it I'm just looking for a way to nurse it along without throwing a lot of money at it.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
15 Posts
I own an 2003 envoy with 174,000 miles and I understand it's an old car and just doing what it needs to "just keep it on the road". But i think it is important to change these i did my rear passenger side one without to much difficulty. I dont know about the front but on the rear you have to take out the axle and drain the differential. I would bite the bullet and do it to save time and money from constantly adding diff fluid. I paid 16$ for the axle seal on the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
Grease is not a good alternative. Grease will not flow to where it needs to lubricate.

I had a leaking axle seal. The seal was $30 from the dealer. Took me about an hour. Only special tool was the socket for the axle nut.

Fix it right, you don't want to run the diff dry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts