Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,251 Posts
OK, here is the info on the Bluetooth OBDII scanner:

Looks like it's on sale for $13.99 which is a great price. For the app that many of us use on the android platform, it is Torque Pro, available from the Google Play store and it has a one time licensing fee of about $5.00. You definitely want to go with the Pro version of the app instead of the free version because it allows one to do infinitely more. This combination will allow you to simultaneously monitor several different engine systems - Short & Long Term Fuel Trims, MAP output, Throttle Position, cylinder misfires, engine coolant temp, etc. Plus, you can choose to store the data in an Excel type file for later data analysis. Oh yeah, and you can set it up for multiple vehicles, each with it's own profile (and things to monitor).

I'm sorry but I an unable to recommend something for the iPhone platform. By the way, I use this very setup all the time!

Good night and Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
428 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,715 Posts
I have an ok code reader…in need of new one and a looking to get a low energy bt one….I have like a 140 pcs Dewalt hand tool set with the 1/4,3/8,1/2 inch ratchets…a 3/8 torque wrench that goes to 80 ftlbs and a 1/2 that goes to I believe 120 ftlbs…and I kind of buy things on the fly that I might need….I use a 3 ton Daytona floor jack w/ 3ton Daytona jack stands….. looking to upgrade to 6 ton both….. that’s like my main and kinda only issue…..CEL comes on every now and again but it’s always P0440 evap (gas cap) once I clear it it stays off….. but I appreciate everyone and this is the main thing I want to get fixed unless something else comes up than I will make a new thread….. and I use an iPhone but the wife uses an android…. So I’ll take info on the code reader/live data scanner…. And it’s funny because I would look something up about the truck and it would bring up this group and the other day I finally decided to join…..
We even get people here who use Google Translate to pose questions.

Just as long as the questions are not all in one big paragraph with no caps and punctuation .... <ahem!> --- 'cause it makes it lots easier for our old, retired eyes to read and form thoughts to your (that's a collective, not a personal "you") cures and answers.

I might just get this outta the way up front --->

RULE #1
Do not disconnect your battery at any time.
There are reasons!

·
Registered
2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LT 4.2L 6 cylinder 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I disconnected my battery to install spotroamers from alphina…that’s ok right????….lol…. And sounds good to me and I completely understand…. Thanks

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,715 Posts
What's a "sportroamer"?

We don't take the battery out of the circuit unless we use some method of keeping the memory alive and the adaptive strategies in modern vehicles and the computers/processors.

It's never a good idea to just disconnect the battery on ANY vehicle with as many processors and computers are ours have --- and it gets to be a stronger and stronger warning as vehicles become more and more complex.

Our TBs have a propensity to destroy the HVAC controller modules and they can be very inaccessible and expensive - plus some serious time consumption to repair or replace them.

Since somewhere around production year(s) 2000 AD or so, computers became much more robust -- but they still don't like to be poked with a stick.

Use a KAM --->

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
@metalmike187 , thanks for the link to the iPhone variant of the Veepeak OBDII dongle! Any recommendation for an iPhone app that is similar in functionality to Torque Pro?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
64 Posts
The metal power steering lines are prone to rust-through leakage, especially in road-salted and brine-applied areas of the country. I think it is Dorman that makes complete line replacement kits for the TB's to cure this problem. When I had my 06 TB I watched closely over the years the condition of the lines and found that the plating would tend to separate from the steel lines and form rust bubbles on the lines. If they were made from stainless steel, then most likely there would never be a leakage problem. The last thing I wanted to happen was to have a line burst and pump trans fluid all over the road and empty and ruin the trans. Where they entered into the radiator was a noticeable area and, like stated earlier, under the rubber tie-down line clamp in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
dmtaurus, thanks. However, you are mixing the power steering lines and the transmission lines together. Both sets of lines will rust, but only the transmission oil lines go into the transmission oil cooler which is located inside the radiator.

The power steering system has it's own cooler, which is also prone to rust, and it is located at the front of the vehicle ahead of and below the radiator. Also, the transmission lines are on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the power steering lines are on the driver's side.

Lastly, I do not believe stainless steel lines for the power steering system would be immune to galvanic corrosion, which is what happens to the power steering lines in the TrailVoy platform. Using aluminum and stainless steel together is known to cause galvanic corrosion.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
218 Posts
That looks like it would save time and lives…. Especially combined with jack stands….
ONLY if combined with jackstands. When I was an inspector for a racing series my first job for the weekend was to go under the cars. I've seen and been expected to go under cars that others thought were safe. Uhh, no thanks on some, until they did it my way.
Speaking of racing, I got into the habit of jacking up one side of a car, placing two jackstands, then jack up the other side, and place those stands. Only have to jack it up twice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If I am jacking up the front, I place the floor jack under the front crossmember of the frame, than place of jacks on each side, lower and let some weight still sit on the floor jack itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so here it goes…I bought a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LT 4.2L 6 cylinder 4x4 about 3 months ago, not my first and definitely won’t be my last…it had 223,000…but I knew it was still ready to go much longer…. The shift solenoid B was an issue so I replaced both A and B. Fixed that issue…than I started noticing spots when I would park…when I look closer it’s like right under the driver side door….at first I thought it was the front diff but when I did a fluid check it View attachment 60566 View attachment 60567
was about right so at the same time I just changed the oil out. While under the truck I looked to see if I can see where it is coming from and what looks like the cv axle going from the driver to passenger side looks really wet. I took a picture that I am going to try and attach of what looks like a big bolt but is really wet maybe someone can tell me what it is and if it’s coming from that….also I had a friend that’s was a mechanic in his younger days tell me I had a front seal leak, not sure if it is true but maybe someone has had the same issue as me or knows someone that did and can help.. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys. Keep TrailBlazing
Sounds exactly like what happened with my 2004 and it was the front seal.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,715 Posts
If I am jacking up the front, I place the floor jack under the front crossmember of the frame, than place of jacks on each side, lower and let some weight still sit on the floor jack itself.
Do you REALLY mean the true front #1 crossmember or do you surmise that the first one you SEE is the first one?

Be careful 'cause not all crossmembers are created equally.

Which crossmember below --- do you think is #1?

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Event

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Do you REALLY mean the true front #1 crossmember or do you surmise that the first one you SEE is the first one?

Be careful 'cause not all crossmembers are created equally.

Which crossmember below --- do you think is #1?

View attachment 60607
This where I jack the truck up and place the jack stands
Green Asphalt Automotive tire Aircraft Screenshot

Automotive tire Green Asphalt Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,715 Posts
This where I jack the truck up and place the jack stands
View attachment 60609
View attachment 60608
Uh huh . I see ................. or not .................

Post something better than a screenshot --- 'cause I cannot open those other pixs to see what you've actually done there. There's no depth perception.

BUT --- as it APPEARS ------->

.......... that puts your jack at maybe the #4 x-member (I can't see the exact placement, side-to-sideways anyway) and the stands are on the #2 x-member --- which isn't really an x-member, but a stamped piece of thin sheet steel that is used as a suspension triangulating-stiffener --- and it's not really supposed to bear weight as you have it.

It'll prolly work, but isn't a preferred place for stands.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Uh huh . I see ................. or not .................

Post something better than a screenshot --- 'cause I cannot open those other pixs to see what you've actually done there. There's no depth perception.

BUT --- as it APPEARS ------->

.......... that puts your jack at maybe the #4 x-member (I can't see the exact placement, side-to-sideways anyway) and the stands are on the #2 x-member --- which isn't really an x-member, but a stamped piece of thin sheet steel that is used as a suspension triangulating-stiffener --- and it's not really supposed to bear weight as you have it.

It'll prolly work, but isn't a preferred place for stands.
Where should or is the best place to jack up the truck in the front and place the jack stands???
The back I usually go to the rear diff and place the stands under the last round kinda crossmember looking thing that’s in your photo…

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Excellent pictures! However, they are a little too close to really see where this and that are. I do recognize the bellows on the rack & pinion steering unit, and that things are oily, but that is about it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,986 Posts
Any recommendation for an iPhone app that is similar in functionality to Torque Pro?

I am not an iPhone user but I do use a handful of Android apps similar to Torque Pro. I believe two of these apps have iPhone editions. Car Scanner ELM OBD2 and OBD Fusion. Of the two Android variants Car Scanner ELM OBD2 would be my choice hands down.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts