Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LT 4.2L 6 cylinder 4x4
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here it goes…I bought a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LT 4.2L 6 cylinder 4x4 about 3 months ago, not my first and definitely won’t be my last…it had 223,000…but I knew it was still ready to go much longer…. The shift solenoid B was an issue so I replaced both A and B. Fixed that issue…than I started noticing spots when I would park…when I look closer it’s like right under the driver side door….at first I thought it was the front diff but when I did a fluid check it
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

was about right so at the same time I just changed the oil out. While under the truck I looked to see if I can see where it is coming from and what looks like the cv axle going from the driver to passenger side looks really wet. I took a picture that I am going to try and attach of what looks like a big bolt but is really wet maybe someone can tell me what it is and if it’s coming from that….also I had a friend that’s was a mechanic in his younger days tell me I had a front seal leak, not sure if it is true but maybe someone has had the same issue as me or knows someone that did and can help.. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys. Keep TrailBlazing

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
696 Posts
CV axle??? I think I'm seeing the steering rack.

Yeah, mine leaks, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work nights so it’s hard to get under when the weather is at least half decent I'm in Central Pa and the weather has been in the lower 20s this week is suppose to be kinda better and I get off for thanksgiving break so I can take better pics and post them to get a better look….I was told it was my front diff main seal….but it kinda looks like it’s coming from somewhere else and just spraying in other places…but I will try my best later on to get some better photos….is it safe to lift the truck with a 3 ton floor jack and sit it on 3 ton jack stands???? And where should I place the jack stands to hold the whole front up or should I just lift the driver side????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it could be clear to like a tint color now that you say power steering I do loose fluid but I also noticed and I was trying to get it in the pic but where you see the axle like right behind just a little up there looks like the part that’s there is really wet as well.

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
406 Posts
I suggest power steering due to the lines running along the frame on both sides and being prone to leakage at certain attachment points. Specifically the junction under the PCM near the driver side strut, as well as the connector on the frame just behind the driver side tire.

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,240 Posts
I'll second the looking over the power steering lines! Look closely at them where they go up and over the driver's side strut tower. You will need to remove a clamp and the rubber insulator. If the lines look rusted and wet. you will need to schedule time to replace the power steering lines. By the way, the PS pressure line cannot be easily mended. I tried using PS pressure rated rubber hose and it did not hold because of the high pressure.

It will take you the better part of a day to replace both lines.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,671 Posts
Jacking points on your frame --- and the TBs have a real full-length frame like a pickup truck --- can be almost anywhere --- but stay off the pinch welds on the bottom of the body itself!

If you look under the front door seam where it meets the front fenders --- follow it in and under --- to the frame and put your jackstands there.

As far as jacking --- I like to go right under the outermost part of the lower control arm --- as far out to the lower balljoint as I can get without rubbing against the tire itself.

3 tons is 6000 lbs. I'm quite sure that they are sufficient unless they're part of the Harbor Fright recalled units!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No not the recalled unit but the new harbor freight Daytona floor jack and jack stands….thanks going to check that out…let you guys know what happens over the next couple days.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,671 Posts
At my age, I don't like rolling floor jacks any more. (push-breathe-pull-breathe-yank-gasp!)

I had a HF "Porta-Power" copy, and eventually the hand pump failed in a way that was non-repairable now, so I bought an air-over-hydraulic pump at HF. (CHEAP!)

It puts out 10,000 lbs pressure at 125lbs air pressure - although I have 225lbs air pressure - and it is a lot easier to haul out to a job in my weeds-over-dirt driveway and just use a 1 1/2" x 12"x 21" ram to raise my cars now.

I heartily recommend it. It's mucho easier than a floor jack.

I'll keep both rolling floor jacks for now -- maybe knock it down to only one (the one with the wider wheels and quicker lift) and call it good. They're both cast iron. HEAVY cast iron.

I also keep a trolley jack to use for those small places. It gets used on lawn mowers and ATVs all the time.

Floor jacks on dirt sux bigtime.​

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,671 Posts
It can raise all of my vehicles including my Case VAC Tractor.

The best part is that it's fairly light --- a little bit cumbersome with the air hose and the hydraulic hose, but it can really raise things fast.

It also makes a cool noise ---- maybe if it gets a little bit warmer tomorrow, I'll try to make one of my famous super professional videos.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol…sound like a plan to me…thanks for all the insight….I really want to get this truck as close to 100% as I can….because we all know these trucks are beasts….

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
One other thing, while you are under there inspecting things/looking for things to repair, be sure and look at the transmission oil lines that run from the transmission to the radiator. They run along the passenger side of the engine and then across the front of the engine at the bottom of the radiator (where they connect). They can rust out as well.

Because I could not gain access to the oil lines where they fasten to the transmission, I selected a good section of line, used a tubing cutter to separate it from the rest of the line I was replacing and then I cut the new transmission oil line in the same place and used a compression union to connect old to new. I also cut some fuel line down the middle and slipped that over the metal lines where they might rub against something and secured the "bumper" using zip ties. Also remember to stagger where you cut and splice the two transmission lines so they do not interfere with one another.

Another thing to check while under there is the power steering cooler which is mounted under the front bumper cover on the driver's side. They will rust out as well. Dorman sells a replacement that comes with a lifetime warranty. When I replaced my power steering lines, I went ahead and installed a new Dorman power steering cooler as well. I went with the Gates power steering hoses, but I have it on good authority that the transmission oil lines manufactured by Sunsong actually are bent better, and line up at the ends much better than either the Gates or Edelman replacement power steering lines.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m probably going to get under there again Wednesday morning…. So I will take plenty of pics and post some but I will definitely check what you are telling me…. It’s also weird because I do see that at the bottom of the radiator where it sits in the holder next to the drain plug some coolant….(green) did a flush and started using Prestone 50/50…. But when I check the reservoir it’s full and take the radiator cap off it’s full…. So don’t really know where it’s coming from….I really would like to put it in the shop so they can look at it and at least tell me what’s the problems but I feel like if I can fix it myself I will be saving a lot of money…..I just don’t really have the time or a 1,000$ repair bill…. But I really want to fix the truck at any cost…..

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Well, you have come to the right place. There are plenty of knowledgeable, experienced and talented people on here and we are all willing to share knowledge and pitch in. All you need to do is to tell us what the problem is in detail, what Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present, answer our questions, accept some good natured ribbing here and there, etc. Good communication is the key. Oh yeah, and try and limit it to one problem to a thread if at all possible. Sometimes things are related, so if you have 4 problems, go ahead and mention all 4, but focus on one at a time unless we bring another one of those in because we've seen where they might be related.

Hopefully you have a decent set of tools, a Digital Multi Meter (DMM) {also known as a Digital Volt Meter (DVM)}, and a decent code reader/live data scanner. If you are in need of a decent code reader/live data scanner and have an android device, we can set you up with an inexpensive but amazingly capable Bluetooth OBDII dongle and App package for under $25.00.

Good Luck! These are wonderful vehicles as I think you already knew.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have an ok code reader…in need of new one and a looking to get a low energy bt one….I have like a 140 pcs Dewalt hand tool set with the 1/4,3/8,1/2 inch ratchets…a 3/8 torque wrench that goes to 80 ftlbs and a 1/2 that goes to I believe 120 ftlbs…and I kind of buy things on the fly that I might need….I use a 3 ton Daytona floor jack w/ 3ton Daytona jack stands….. looking to upgrade to 6 ton both….. that’s like my main and kinda only issue…..CEL comes on every now and again but it’s always P0440 evap (gas cap) once I clear it it stays off….. but I appreciate everyone and this is the main thing I want to get fixed unless something else comes up than I will make a new thread….. and I use an iPhone but the wife uses an android…. So I’ll take info on the code reader/live data scanner…. And it’s funny because I would look something up about the truck and it would bring up this group and the other day I finally decided to join…..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts